Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reddish Knob

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  mtbiker040 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm going to be traveling to Fishersville, Va over the holiday weekend and want to get some rides in around the Fishersville area. I also want to travel back over to the George Washington National Forest to finish a ride I wasn't able to complete a few years back. I had about 65 miles under my tires when I finally made it up to the top of Reddish Knob and was (I hate to say it) too exhausted to ride the downhill section (something I was so looking forward to!). I've read that there's more than one way to get down... so what do you think might be the funnest and or best way to descend this awesome mountain?? Also any ideas on good rides right around the Fishersville area? Anyone want to hook up and go for a ride over the weekend?

#5 ·
My preferred run down from Reddish is Chestnut Ridge. It's about a 2 mile? ride around the back of Reddish, then up a gated forest road/double track to get to the start of Chestnut Ridge. Other option as stated is Timber Ridge (upper)/Wolf Ridge (lower) combo. Timber Ridge starts right below the Reddish summit - small sign with trail # I believe. It's been a while since I've ridden Timber Ridge, but recall it being a bit more unkept than the other trails in the other area - down trees, overgrowth creeping in. Not sure on current conditions. Wolf Ridge is a fun trail that I'd suggest hitting if you don't want to ride all the way up Reddish. Lynn Trail (from road just past reservoir) leads up to the start of Wolf. Lynn is a b!tch of a climb though - you've been warned!

As recommended, best to stay away on Sunday race day.

#7 ·
I was lucky enough to camp at the Natural Chimney park for 3 days and I'd ride my bike from there to George Washington Forest. Some of the best riding I've done so far has been in GWF. The day I rode to the top of Reddish Knob I got lost, saw 2 black bear yearlings (awesome) and rode my a@@ off to make sure I didn't see Ma Ma. By the time I got back on track, through the kindness of a stranger, I met my wife and son at the top of Reddish Knob for a picnic and to take in the awesome views. And decided that with failing brakes and 30 miles more under my tires than I'd anticipated that it was time to throw in the towel. That decision has haunted me for the last 4 years because it was the one descent I was looking forward to. I guess I'll wait till next time though. Thanks for the advice!

#9 ·
I remember the road to the top of Reddish being, I hate to admit it because it's a road, pretty tiring at times. That said, I'm always ready to take on the challenge of a b!tch of a climb. Can't wait to try it! Maybe next year. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

#12 ·
Yeah, the road climb (before the narrow paved section at the last segment) is a beast It's tough because of its length, and the upper part is just a consistent grade with a few steep pitches mixed. No grade "plateaus" to give yourself a breather on. Must be why the roadies love it so much. Definitely pace yourself.

#18 ·
Just wanted to say thank you, to all of you for the great advice and trying to help me out. I finally found my maps from about 5 years ago and some things have change others have stayed the same. Can't wait to get some riding in. Hope you all have a great weekend with some saddle time.

#20 ·
I wasn't able to make it over to Reddish (hoping to next year). But I rode Sherando 2 times and had a great time. Climbed up the switch backs, took Torrey Ridge down and followed the ridge all the way down. What a fun ride. Awesome views (the views have to be killer now with the change of seasons), also met some really cool and interesting people. All around great ride. Reddish Knob has got to be amazing in the fall, hope you get to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.