mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Recommended loops at carvins cove?

Haven't ridden there in years. Any recommendations on good rides (10-15 miles would be good)
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Park at Bennett springs parking lot. Ride 4 gorge to fire road climb. Climb fire road to hemlock tunnel(downhill). At the bottom by the creek is the entrance to Lakeside trail. It's a fairly new trail, but obvious. A rock carin is there by the creek. Cross creek to ride Lakeside which will end at the bottom of Gaunlet. From here, option 1: climb gaunlet(2mile stought climb) to the top, cross over fire road to take hi de ho down to parking lot. Option 2: ride double track up to Trough(approx. mile or 2). Ride up trough(1.5 mile stought climb). Left on fire road down to Buck. Take Buck. At the split, go right which will take you back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Forgot to mention, the route I posted has plenty of climb and decent. 4 gorge is flowy, fire road is climbing, hemlock is hair raising downhill, lakeside is yummy all mountain, my lung is somewhere on Gaunlet still,, but worth it to get to hi de ho, or trough where my other lung is,, but worth the grin down buck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks man

mtbr member
    Just for another opinion, Gauntlet is a lot better descent than hi-dee-ho. Last time I was there I went up hdh, down guantlet, up trough, back down hdh. Lots of fun, stout climbs and descents. Gauntlet descent was the highlight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    A lot of the route depends of what kind of shape you are in, but I would recommend a route that has Gauntlet as a downhill rather than uphill.

This could be an alternative: Climb Buck or Hi Dee Ho, descend Gauntlet, take Lakeside to Kerncliff, descend Tuckaway, take a breather on lower Comet, then do Songbird clockwise. If you are tired at this point, climb Tuckaway and take 4 Gorges Extension and 4 Gorges to the lot. If you weren't tired, after Songbird take Little Bell to Schoolhouse to Arrowhead (counterclockwise) and then do Tuckaway/4 Gorges Ext/4 Gorges.