mtbr member
    Apr 2012

And recommended Harrisonburg, VA area trails?

I might be taking a trip to Harrisonburg, VA area in early September. I can see IMBA lists Harrisonburg as a "Bronze level ride center" (whatever that means), but they don't provide much detail on actual trails.

Any recommendation on trails in the area?

I don't need serious downhill type trails to have fun, just as long as there is something decent to ride on.

cowbell
    Lots of good trails in close proximity. The best thing to do is hit up Shenandoah Bikes, they can make recommendations based on current conditions, provide maps, and I think they even sell passes for the couple of trails that require them - if not, they can certainly tell you who does sell them.

mtbr member
    Holy crap is that a huge question.

The 'burg is the Boulder of the east (without all the drama).

Amazing road and mtn riding. Kaylor's Ridge will blow your mind in Massanutten. It's the east side of the valley. There are a bunch of trails accessible from the fire road on the west side of the mtn (on the east side of the valley). Find the details on the Super-D and other races out there. Those trails are really, really good.

Across the valley in the George Washington National Forest, there are hundreds of miles of trail. The most traveled are around Stokesville (yes, really) and Todd Lake campground. Hankey Mtn, Braleys, Southern Traverse, Chestnut Ridge, Lookout Mtn... Shenandoah Mountain Touring operates a lodge over there and Chris and Ian can get you set up if you want some local flavor and creature comforts.

You can get the SM100 map from the mtntouring.com website. I would venture to say that the best trails in the entire region are in and around that town. Not only the quality of the trail is the quantity. There are rocks...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey Dude, dont forget if you are down for it that Bryce Resort is super close by and just opened up their lift operated gravity system. They've got something for everyone, so dont skip out on checking them out too. We drive 4 hours out there to hit it from here in Virginia Beach. The mountain has its own thread but didnt want you to miss out.

another bozo on the bus
    The ridge directly behind Bryce has great and often overlooked trails as well. Big Schloss, North Mtn, Church Rocks all good as well. Yes, this time of year, some things get over grown. We rode Elliot's/ Crawford over the weekend and were in shoulder high thickets. If not for a couple equestrians that had ventured out there recently, the trail would not have even been visible so if you don't know your way around that one, don't even consider it. The stuff along the hundred course should be riding good as folks are getting out and riding it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for all the input...

I took a look at the SVBC website and they pointed out a number of places. I'll probable just end up Cotharyus' recommendations and stop by Shenandoah Bikes to see what is in good condition when I get there. It probably won't be a full time biking trip, I was just looking for something to fill a few hours one day... but after I looked into it some more I might be scheduling a few days down there just to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Search around on this site for ride reports and recommendations. Lots of threads over the past few years on GWNF ride routes outside Harrisonburg. As I usually suggest, pick up a Nat Geo map for the area and go explore. Hankey/Dowells Draft and Chestnut Ridge are my favs. After searching, if you want more detail post up a request.