mtbr member
    May 2008

Recommendations - Virginia Biking, Hiking and camping trip

I'm planning on doing a three day trip to Virginia in June. I'd like to get some biking in -- maybe ride 4-6 hours for two of the days and also hike and camp. For bike trails, I'd like something with good flow, and easy to moderate technical -- don't mind some jumps and drops. Great views would be a big plus too.
    Would like it to be within a 4 hour drive from Raleigh, NC. Any recommendations for places to check out and camp?

mtbr member

RV, Trailer or tent? I haven't been here long but, Williamsburg has it all and it's only 3 hours away. The Eastern Virginia Mountain Bike Association (EVMA) does great work maintaining trails in the area. Just Google or YouTube Freedom Park for starters.

Sent from a cliche device from a cliche location...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Eh.. Freedom Park and York River State Park are both definitely solid trail systems, but I wouldn't drive 4 hours to ride them.

I've run into some folks that think it's overrated but for a one stop shop (camp, bike, hike) you can't beat Douthat State Park. You get off the trail and you're practically at your tent. Lots of climbing but a lot of technical skill isn't required. Lots of hiking opportunities and good views are plentiful as well.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I would second Douthat as well. It may be a little outside your 4 hour drive range though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    third douthat. williamsburg is great and all but it is by no means a destination. i would go a day in douthat, a day at the braley pond area of the GWNF and then an extra day at whichever you liked better

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I agree with the others---Douthat is your best bet. With all due respect, I certainly wouldn't recommend Williamsburg as a destination spot for riding/hiking/camping, as it doesn't remotely compare with many spots in the western part of the state. To be more specific, I wouldn't recommend anywhere east of Charlottesville for riding/camping, as its mostly flat and uninteresting.

mtbr member

Damn, now I want to go there. I've only been in Williamsburg since February and having Freedom Park in my back yard is great. But, it is rather flat and rooted compared to trails in Utah I left behind.

Sent from a cliche device from a cliche location...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the recommendations. How does Douthat compare with Pisgah NF? I love Brevard, NC and it's about the same driving distance as Douthat

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    You know you are only about 2-1/2 hours from North Wilkesboro, NC. Check out the Warrior Creek and Dark Mountain trail systems.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know anything about Pigsah but I can say that WC makes for an enjoyable trip.

Views were mostly non existent and I like climbing too much to move this to a top spot in my book, but most people drool over the berms at this place.

If it matters, their shower facilities were much cleaner than I've ever seen Douthat's.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Douthat is really an awesome place to spend the day with well marked trails and a few great views. But is is about 4.5 hours from Raleigh.

But if you are going to go that far, you will also be near Carvin's Cove, so check that out.

Hillbilly
    There's been some trail work in Augusta County in the George Washington National Forest. Plenty of MB trails in the area and camp sites. June is probably the best time of year here too.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Douthat is really an awesome place to spend the day with well marked trails and a few great views. But is is about 4.5 hours from Raleigh.

But if you are going to go that far, you will also be near Carvin's Cove, so check that out.
    Yea I would not go to Douthat just for the views. They are nice but few and far between. Tuscarora overlook is a must see spot. Mountain Side trail has good open views. The lake there is nice for fishing, kayaking, beaching, etc. but riding the downhills is what makes it a great place. Then there is Middle Mountain trail - my ridgetop nirvanna.

Carvin's Cove would be quite a bit closer. but too bad the camping situation in Roanoke sux. I would love to see Explore Park made into a state park to fix that problem.

A side note, if you want great views one of the best rides in VA is close to Douthat. Longdale Furnace / North mountain has phenomenal views. There should be some threads here on that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A little further away but you should check out Raystown Lake in Pennsylvania.
    Hiking, Camping, Boating, 40+ miles of singletrack and great views to boot.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    A little further away but you should check out Raystown Lake in Pennsylvania.
    Hiking, Camping, Boating, 40+ miles of singletrack and great views to boot.
    A little further? It's 7 hours from Raleigh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    yeah but where else within 7 hours can you experience all that? designated bike trails, mountains, fishing, 31 mile lake, hiking....
    It's the place where DirtFest is held every year.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    yeah but where else within 7 hours can you experience all that? designated bike trails, mountains, fishing, 31 mile lake, hiking....
    It's the place where DirtFest is held every year.
    Since you ask: one of many examples would be W Kerr Scott Reservoir. 2.5 hours from Raleigh.

Kind of moot though, since he never mentioned fishing or the need for a lake. Which means he has several dozen options closer than 7 hours.