mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Reccomended loop for a beginner at Schaffer Farms?

We are staying at Cunningham falls park this weekend and want to ride Gabrill on Sunday.

I promised my wife I would take her riding so I thought Shaffer farms would be good for her.

is there a reccomended route for beginners that I could do with her and then let her do a few times on her own?

Thanks for the help!

Russ

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    IMO there isn't anything super difficult at Schaeffer Farms for a beginner, that if you take your time, you can't ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    IMO there isn't anything super difficult at Schaeffer Farms for a beginner, that if you take your time, you can't ride.
    Sounds good - thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was there for the first time several weeks ago for the race, and there were about a half-dozen steep drops/climbs, kind of like a half-pipe. I definitely wouldn't recommend a beginner try those! Fortunately, that entire section looked like it could be ridden around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    I was there for the first time several weeks ago for the race, and there were about a half-dozen steep drops/climbs, kind of like a half-pipe. I definitely wouldn't recommend a beginner try those! Fortunately, that entire section looked like it could be ridden around.
    Hmmm. I'm really looking for an easy, mostly flat, loop to bring her on. Do any of the trails meet that description? She really has only ridden once off road on something not totally flat and that was out at Raystown lake on the beginner trail there.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Man, it is really hard to find a good map of Schaffer farms these days so please forgive the tiny picture:

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  9.3 KB

If you stay off of the Orange trail that's surrounded by the white loop, you should avoid the unfriendly whoopy section mentioned above. I would take the white to the yellow loop and back again. They've reblazed the trails since that map was made, but those two have remained the same. The blue trail on that map is a huge hill in the middle of a field with lots of debris. I would avoid that for beginners as you get going pretty fast.

Aside from that, the whole of it is pretty tame. I enjoy taking the white to yellow to green(not pictured) to yellow to orange (in the yellow loop) and back via yellow (still have energy) or blue (beat).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Man, it is really hard to find a good map of Schaffer farms these days so please forgive the tiny picture:

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  9.3 KB

If you stay off of the Orange trail that's surrounded by the white loop, you should avoid the unfriendly whoopy section mentioned above. I would take the white to the yellow loop and back again. They've reblazed the trails since that map was made, but those two have remained the same. The blue trail on that map is a huge hill in the middle of a field with lots of debris. I would avoid that for beginners as you get going pretty fast.

Aside from that, the whole of it is pretty tame. I enjoy taking the white to yellow to green(not pictured) to yellow to orange (in the yellow loop) and back via yellow (still have energy) or blue (beat).

Thanks! this is perfect - i will check out the white to yellow loop tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    I agree with this. Sure, there are a couple sharper drops, but they don't require any special mtn. bike skills. Schaeffer is perfect for all levels- from beginner on up, but where I think where it really shines is with the beginner rider, because while Schaeffer is easy, it's a lot of fun. Take your wife here and she'll be hooked.

mtbr member
    Decent map for Schaeffer can be found here: http://www.logoffrideon.com/trails/i...aeffer_map.jpg
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the advice and the maps. We rode here over Labor day weekend and it was a lot of fun. I rode rpretty much the whole park and think that the trails are in great shape and were fun to ride. My favorite was the Green trail and that "half-pipe" area of the white trail

My wife thought it was a little too rooty :-) so she did some riding and some walking on the white trail and then went back to the car when we hit the parking lot, while I rode for another 2 hours (I don't think mountain biking is her thing, but at least she tried)

All in all it was a fun ride and i appreciate the advice!

mtbr member
    There are drops at Schaeffer??