mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Pulaski & Dublin?

Hey there,

My wife and I just moved to Pulaski from Roanoke. Does anybody know if there is any good single track in Dublin or Pulaski? So far the closest thing I've found is Pandapas in B'burg.
    Thanks, -Z

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I live in Dublin. I agree, there really aren't many places to ride around here without driving 30 minutes. I've been going to Claytor Lake State Park lately, some of the trails are hard to find, but from what I have rode, they arent very difficult. Some of the are VERY LONG.

Most of them are found within the campground. Others just start arond the main road that goes through the park (State Park Rd.).

Fat, but working on it...
    Pandapas isn't too bad. Not sure what part of Pulaski you're in, but it shouldn't take too long to get there. I would be interested in knowing about some riding in Pulaski.

I love riding in Roanoke, but I like a change of scenery as well, so I'm always looking for more trails not too far away. I've been to Claytor Lake, but never on a bike. I didn't know there were many trails around there. With the shape I'm in right now, long trails that aren't too difficult sound like music to my ears.

Gus, just Gus.
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCosmo
    Pandapas isn't too bad. Not sure what part of Pulaski you're in, but it shouldn't take too long to get there. I would be interested in knowing about some riding in Pulaski.

I love riding in Roanoke, but I like a change of scenery as well, so I'm always looking for more trails not too far away. I've been to Claytor Lake, but never on a bike. I didn't know there were many trails around there. With the shape I'm in right now, long trails that aren't too difficult sound like music to my ears.
    Amen to that Cosmo, I am still trying to get back out there riding again.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man."

Fat, but working on it...
    Yeah. I have a brand new bike (well, used, but new to me) sitting here that I have yet to sit my fat butt on for more than a spin around the parking lot...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Dublin Area

About 10 years ago some friends and I used to ride trails over at the Scout Camp on the Hiawasse (South) side of Claytor Lake. I remember these as being short & steep but with plenty of options. As far as drive time, well, Pandapas is probably quicker because there aren't many ways to get on that side of the lake. Look in the VA Gazeteer to find it & I think we had to ask someone for permission.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Boy Scout Camp

I wondered when the Boy Scout Reservation would get mentioned. They actually have a mountain biking program on the reservation during the summer. Hopefully, the secret won't get out now!

Here is a map on how to get there-

http://www.bsa-brmc.org/campmap.htm

Its been a few years since I rode there. I spent several summers in High School and College working as a counselor in various roles for the Boy Scouts and took my mountain bike along the last few summers. After I graduated from college I went back a few times for some biking before moving away from the area. The last time I was there (1994) the trails had been severely damaged by storms and we did HOURS of bushwhacking and hike-a-bike.

The Camp Powhatan Side-

If you do visit you should stop by the Ranger's house before entering the reservation. It is on the left. The last time I was there the Ranger was Charlie Stultz. He can give you the latest on trail conditions and perhaps a map.

As a matter of courtesy I would suggest making a donation to the scouting program when you stop at the Ranger's house and think that $5 to $10 per person is appropriate. Most state parks charge more than this and don't depend on donations for their existence.

I would suggest you park your car at the first bridge across Mack's creek and ride up the valley on a wide gravel road. A couple miles on take a left onto a fire road called Greenwood. This will involve fording a wide creek that can be very deep and swift depending on recent rains. Once you get to the top of the initial climb up Greenwood there are a number of single-track and widetrack options to the left and right. Many can be done as loops taking you back to Greenwood.

If you ride Greenwood all the way to its terminus you end up at the top of the Mack' s Creek watershed which you can then follow back to your start.

Greenwood is actually sort of the backbone of the trail system. It cuts through the reservation and is pretty well maintained. There are some nice long climbs and as I remember lots of water bars for catching air on the downhills.

The Camp Ottari Side-

The riding is not as easy to access from this side. You can ride up North Mountain on a ridge top trail which was nice but steep single track the last time I was there. Once on the ridge you will intersect a few trails that will allow you to string together some nice riding. Another option is to ride up Little Laurel (many stream crossings) on an old road grade. Once you are at the top of the valley you will have to do some climbing to link to other trails (i.e. off of Greenwood).

I was just cruising the boards here looking for the latest on SW VA single track as I'll be back in the area visiting family at the end of the month. I think I'll try to make it over to the Res for some mountain biking now!

Rob

Members who have read this thread: 0