mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Possible stolen bikes on Craigslist...or maybe i am way off

You know that...to go to be true story. Maybe I am completely off or the guy is just lying about the specs of the bikes. Anyway its a bit suspicious.

2014 Diamondback AXIS Pro 27.5 inch wheels
    2014 Diamondback Overdrive Carbon Expert 29r
    2013 Diamondback Podium 6 Road bike 54cm

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Very suspicious but heck of a deal if they are not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Why would you consider these possibly stolen? Why would someone who just stole a bunch of new DBacks put them on craigslist where they are easily tracked down? Criminals aren't that stupid.

These are most likely from a dealer who either is no longer carrying DB or they are off factory spec.
    My other bike is a /7.

undercover brother
    Because he doesn't want a paper trace of anything.. emails or texts...

The adds seem suspicious... why would a dealer take pictures in a shitty dump of a back yard?

mtbr member
    Have you seen the recurring ads for hundreds of bikes around $100? One is based out of Marshall, VA. Another is closer in to DC but don't remember where. I distinctly remember that in the photos of some bikes you can see the storage unit they came out of is literally stacked floor to ceiling with bikes.

You can't tell me all of those are legit...
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Because he doesn't want a paper trace of anything.. emails or texts...

The adds seem suspicious... why would a dealer take pictures in a shitty dump of a back yard?
    By "paper" you certainly mean "electronic" trace, right? I wonder what people did before the internet and text messages. Oh yeah, they actually talked to the people on the telephone and went and met people in person at their house and if they liked the item got an actual bill of sale on paper. Weird how that might just still work. All of those things seem to be in play here.

And that looks like a fine back yard. Sheesh, the guy has a canoe and a wooden fence... sorry he didn't include his Maserati in the background. I live in a pretty nice house but everything I've ever sold has been photo'd in the garage or back yard.

Seriously though, if you talked to the guy on the phone and he was sketchy, wouldn't tell you where the bikes came from, said that he would only meet you in a dark alley and would not give you a bill of sale, then you might have a point about all this. Otherwise, buy or move along.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    The guy from Marshall, VA is a bike flipper. I flag off his stuff as much as I can. Also the guy from Crofton, and the guy who advertises as "Greenbelt Metro."

mtbr member
    Those Diamondbacks look to me like someone who works at a bike shop, buying on employee pricing and selling out the back door.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaier View Post
    By "paper" you certainly mean "electronic" trace, right? I wonder what people did before the internet and text messages. Oh yeah, they actually talked to the people on the telephone and went and met people in person at their house and if they liked the item got an actual bill of sale on paper. Weird how that might just still work. All of those things seem to be in play here.

And that looks like a fine back yard. Sheesh, the guy has a canoe and a wooden fence... sorry he didn't include his Maserati in the background. I live in a pretty nice house but everything I've ever sold has been photo'd in the garage or back yard.

Seriously though, if you talked to the guy on the phone and he was sketchy, wouldn't tell you where the bikes came from, said that he would only meet you in a dark alley and would not give you a bill of sale, then you might have a point about all this. Otherwise, buy or move along.
    ... and don't worry, the manufacturer scratched out the serial numbers of all these bikes because they were such a good deal!!

Seriously, its one thing to be paranoid about deals that are too good to be true, its another to see through the ******** and see a potential scam.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Those Diamondbacks look to me like someone who works at a bike shop, buying on employee pricing and selling out the back door.
    Which is almost just as bad as selling stolen bikes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ... and don't worry, the manufacturer scratched out the serial numbers of all these bikes because they were such a good deal!!
    Did the seller say that when you talked to him/her on the phone?
    My other bike is a /7.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaier View Post
    Did the seller say that when you talked to him/her on the phone?
    Yes, but I had to give him the money first and he would ship it to me free of charge!!

undercover brother
    2014 Diamondback AXIS Pro hard tail Mountain bikes. These bikes have the new 27.5 inch wheels and disc brakes. Light grey and white frames. The retail for $1600.00. My price is $999.00. I have three bikes. Sizes are 16 inch, 18 inch, and 22 inches. They are in perfect condition. No texts or emails please. Please contact me at 443-five six nine-985six. Please understand, I will not answer emails or text messages to avoid scams. Thank you.

Why I don't think its a dealer, unless they work at Performance because my grandmother knows more about bikes than anyone who is employed in those shops...

Anyone who knows bike would describe the bike more than just new wheels and disc brakes. Light grey and white frames..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, but I had to give him the money first and he would ship it to me free of charge!!
    So you've talked to him? I see. Then that certainly sounds suspicious. What did he say when you asked him about seeing the bike? Did he offer a test ride? How did he come to own the bikes and why he is selling? Is he willing to give you a bill of sale? You know, buying 101 stuff.
    My other bike is a /7.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Talk to seller and ask more detailed questions about all the bikes. If he cannot answer in any reasonable way....I would be highly suspicious.

ASK:
    1) Why selling?
    2) How many miles?
    3) Disc or mechanical brakes?(so many FAIL on this easy question!)
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I personally don't have an issue if someone is trying to make a business flipping bikes, like trying to start out a business or something. So don't think it's necessary to flag their posts. Maybe they should post as a dealer or something.

I'm not sure I see the issue with someone trying to sell their bikes after buying with an employee discount. But I'm not sure if the employee discount would be big enough savings from buying new from a store that includes store support. ie if the employee discount is only 15%, that's just a $60 savings and maybe not worth it to me. So would rather buy it from a store. I'm not sure how much the employee discounts are.

I am concerned about buying a stolen bike though and was one of my major concerns when shopping for bikes.

I stopped by one of the places that always advertises selling bikes from a storage unit in Falls Church. Some things looked shady, mainly that they were making a big deal on not letting the management office know that they were selling bikes and tried to block off the view with trucks. The guy was also pretty vague when I tried to ask him where he got his bikes from. His reply was all over. But based just on looks, I don't think he's the type to steal bikes but you never know.

I also tried contacting the person selling bikes in Marshall, Virginia. I don't know how to describe it, like he was flakey or disorganized, but I gave up after a couple of exchanges. ie he couldn't remember what bikes I was asking about, etc.

But based on some of the posts on this forum, I do believe it's possible that people try to run a legit business of flipping bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmum View Post
    I personally don't have an issue if someone is trying to make a business flipping bikes, like trying to start out a business or something. So don't think it's necessary to flag their posts. Maybe they should post as a dealer or something.

But based on some of the posts on this forum, I do believe it's possible that people try to run a legit business of flipping bikes.
    Like you said, POST AS A DEALER. Then I can filter out all of the 1980's Nishiki's selling for $300. But the bike flippers here all post as owner. So I flag the ever-loving f*ck out of them. Every day.