Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233

    Possible relocation to South Hill, VA - Need some feedback!!!!

    Hello fellow mtbr's!

    I am looking at an opportunity to relocate to South Hill, VA...I have done a little research on the demographics and it has some alarming crime statistics... does anyone live there/nearby that can shed some light on the community and life in the area?

    Thanks!
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    Less talk, more ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    222
    South Hill is generally considered a cesspool. Very run down and a generally poor area. I don't think I've ever met anyone from that area that was happy with living there. May I ask what type of opportunity is bringing you there?
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
    South Hill is generally considered a cesspool. Very run down and a generally poor area. I don't think I've ever met anyone from that area that was happy with living there. May I ask what type of opportunity is bringing you there?
    Healthcare opportunity...I work with a facilities group that contracts for management.

    So...if the town sucks, where is a good city to commute from?
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Less talk, more ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    222
    It depends on what type of lifestyle you're looking for and how much of a commute you are willing to tolerate. Clarksville is a small town nearby on the shore of Buggs Island Lake. Chase City is ok but not that much better than South Hill. Farmville is better but more of a drive. There are no real cities in that section of the state. Most of the area is quiet and rural. I'm not sure about the riding opportunities there either. I don't think there are many trails in the area.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
    It depends on what type of lifestyle you're looking for and how much of a commute you are willing to tolerate. Clarksville is a small town nearby on the shore of Buggs Island Lake. Chase City is ok but not that much better than South Hill. Farmville is better but more of a drive. There are no real cities in that section of the state. Most of the area is quiet and rural. I'm not sure about the riding opportunities there either. I don't think there are many trails in the area.
    Thanks for the info.
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
    It depends on what type of lifestyle you're looking for and how much of a commute you are willing to tolerate. Clarksville is a small town nearby on the shore of Buggs Island Lake. Chase City is ok but not that much better than South Hill. Farmville is better but more of a drive. There are no real cities in that section of the state. Most of the area is quiet and rural. I'm not sure about the riding opportunities there either. I don't think there are many trails in the area.
    Do you know anything about Clarksville?
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Less talk, more ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by hesston View Post
    Do you know anything about Clarksville?
    Clarksville is a quiet lakeside town but on weekends in the summer, the tourists probably increase the population 1000% or more. I worked in Clarksville back in the late 90's and I liked the town. Plus, my inlaws have a place on the lake. I think it would be a great place to live if you like the area. Lakefest can get a bit crazy but if you're in to that kind of thing, you'll love it.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hesston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
    Clarksville is a quiet lakeside town but on weekends in the summer, the tourists probably increase the population 1000% or more. I worked in Clarksville back in the late 90's and I liked the town. Plus, my inlaws have a place on the lake. I think it would be a great place to live if you like the area. Lakefest can get a bit crazy but if you're in to that kind of thing, you'll love it.
    That's encouraging (compared to South Hill). After really searching the last 2 days in the area, I think that Clarksville is where I'll go if I take the position.

    Recall any road/mtn biking in that town/area?
    experience life

    Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

    www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    Less talk, more ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by hesston View Post
    That's encouraging (compared to South Hill). After really searching the last 2 days in the area, I think that Clarksville is where I'll go if I take the position.

    Recall any road/mtn biking in that town/area?
    There wasn't any mountain biking then and I doubt there is any now. Road riding should be fine on the back roads. Angler's Ridge is about 50 miles away in Danville. This is where I ride. Over 35 miles of trails in the system. Details are here, The Southern Virginia Mountain Bike Association. I think there are some trails around Farmville as well.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

  10. #10
    Dont Rep me
    Reputation: Strafer.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    153
    For other decent riding areas, you will have to drive an hour north to Richmond or south to Durham/Raleigh area.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10
    Angler's Ridge is in Danville 30+ miles of sinlgetrack about an hour from Clarksville. Never been there only heard of it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10
    P.S. There's a good Mexican food joint in Clarksville (Los Bandidos). (It wasn't too long ago they seemed hard to find after living in SoCal for many years.) Don't eat at the buffet accross the parking lot from Pizza Hut in South Hill, (Down Home Buffet?) bad experience.

Similar Threads

  1. AZT south from Pistol Hill?
    By Wherewolf in forum Arizona
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 01:08 PM
  2. MTB races in South Africa - Feedback please!
    By paulventer in forum Vacations & Destinations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM
  3. Hill City, South Dakota
    By bigE in forum Great Plains - OK, KS, NE, SD, ND
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 04:32 PM
  4. No more bike shops on South Hill, or Puyallup
    By potterymouth in forum Washington
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 10:36 PM
  5. Possible relocation to Traverse City
    By crankinirish in forum Michigan
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •