mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Places to ride in WV

Looking for a good places to ride in VW for long weekend. Also looking
    to go in may some time. Looking for some good places to stay also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Coopers Rock, Morgantown: Kanawha State Forest, Charleston: Pipestem, near Beckley: New River Gorge, Fayetville (sp??)

Just to name a couple.

If you can hold off a month I'm planning a campout at Coopers in June. No date yet.

PM Lowcel if you decide to go to Charleston. I'm sure he'll be happy to show ya around. Kanawha is a great place to ride. I make regular trips back to ride there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Many Options in Morgantown

Quote Originally Posted by Tiess
    Looking for a good places to ride in VW for long weekend. Also looking
    to go in may some time. Looking for some good places to stay also.
    Stay in Morgantown for good night life and nearby trails.
    Coopers Rocks - 10 minute drive
    Chestnut Ridge State Park - 10 minute drive
    Big Bear, Home of 24 Hours of Big Bear, trails are very well marked and maintained- 25 minute drive

Post again just before you come down and you will find a group to ride with.

the unvarnished nonsense
    The best to place ride in WV: Monongahela National Forest, period. Canaan Valley/Davis/Thomas area in the northern section (Tucker County) and Slatyfork/Marlinton/Cranberry areas in the southern section (Pocahontas County). You can search this forum, Passion and Google for more info than you could read on these places.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New question here. Also vacationing to WV ...NEED ADVICE

I am planning a family vacation for late May. I am looking at coming to WV or going to Pisgah in NC.

My whole family is physically active, but not all of them MTB, so I am looking for a good location to suit everyone. It looks like staying in Morgantown, Pocahontas County or Tucker County are good options. Any recommendations on where to stay? I need a house or condo for 8 adults and two children.

We will be staying 5 to 7 days, so I need a good variety of MTB trails so I am not riding the same loop every day. I am used to riding for 2 to 3 hours (15 to 30 miles) at one time. Are the trails you have listed in the areas above suitable for this? Are these trails singletrack or fire roads? What type of access fees can I expect to pay? It looks like Snowshoe has a lot of trails to ride, but I would have to exchange my King headset for a days pass!!

I appreciate all of your help and advice on my trip. Let me know if you are ever coming to Indiana - I think you would be surprised at what Southern IN has to offer MTBer's!! Post a comment at www.hmba.org and you will be sure to find a group that is more than happy to show you around the trails.

--DAA

mtbr member
    Depends on what kind of trails you like. If you're into xc you're probably going to want to head to- Morgantown:Coopers rock, Big Bear; Charleston: Kanawha State Forest, Little Creek Park, but if you like more all mountain stuff then hit the Canaan Heights (Plantation trail), Slatyfork. But thats just IMO.
    Also, there will be races held at Coopers Rock - May 7, Tomlinson State Park - May 14, Charles Fork Park - May 21, and Little Creek Park May 28. If you're down here may want to check them out.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member

Coopers...

Cooper's Rock woud be great for your situation because its only 10 minutes drive from Morgantown, plus there is no entry/gate fee, so you could come and go as you like. Plus, for your non-riding group, the hiking is really nice there. Plus some other cool touristy things to see there... overlooks, historical sites, etc. The riding at Cooper's is a mix of single and double track. But the double track is fun to ride. All of its VERY challenging with lots of climbing, and LOTS of rocks! Enough trails there to keep you happy for a few days. Lots of seclusion too. Many times I ride there and NEVER see another person. The trails do get some more taffic though as the weather gets nicer. Driving another 20 minutes to Big Bear will give you a few more days of riding. I think the entry there is $5. Lots of singletrack there, with a good mix of technical and not-so-technical. Stop by Wamsley Cycles in Morgantown... they usually have local trail maps/books. Very friendly.

Morgantown can be a fun town at night for adults. Lots of restaurants and bars. Not sure about what activities are available for children.

Hope that helps..

Quote Originally Posted by adamsda
    I am planning a family vacation for late May. I am looking at coming to WV or going to Pisgah in NC.

My whole family is physically active, but not all of them MTB, so I am looking for a good location to suit everyone. It looks like staying in Morgantown, Pocahontas County or Tucker County are good options. Any recommendations on where to stay? I need a house or condo for 8 adults and two children.

We will be staying 5 to 7 days, so I need a good variety of MTB trails so I am not riding the same loop every day. I am used to riding for 2 to 3 hours (15 to 30 miles) at one time. Are the trails you have listed in the areas above suitable for this? Are these trails singletrack or fire roads? What type of access fees can I expect to pay? It looks like Snowshoe has a lot of trails to ride, but I would have to exchange my King headset for a days pass!!

I appreciate all of your help and advice on my trip. Let me know if you are ever coming to Indiana - I think you would be surprised at what Southern IN has to offer MTBer's!! Post a comment at www.hmba.org and you will be sure to find a group that is more than happy to show you around the trails.

--DAA

Because I am !

Ditto !

Quote Originally Posted by davis
    The best to place ride in WV: Monongahela National Forest, period. Canaan Valley/Davis/Thomas area in the northern section (Tucker County) and Slatyfork/Marlinton/Cranberry areas in the southern section (Pocahontas County). You can search this forum, Passion and Google for more info than you could read on these places.

Ditto !

Lots of options in either area for Inn's, Bed & Breakfast's, Lodges, Motels, etc. The State Park Lodges are nice at Blackwater Falls or Canaan Valley (Tucker County) and the cabins are nice at Watoga State Park, or you could spend the big bucks at Snowshoe (Pocahontas County) There are definately more trails to ride in Pocahontas County. I ride there every summer and can spend a week there and not ride the same trail twice.

Members who have read this thread: 0