CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Patterson Mountain Work and Play

Yesterday we had a scheduled trail work day. 70ish weather forecast and Christmas season in full swing volunteers were scarce. We almost cancelled to ride. So we decided to have a ride / work day. Turned out to be a hard ride, but good – better than rebenching trail with a 2 person trail crew or brushing out trail, our other two awaiting projects.

Kapusta climbing Tucker Trail

One of the chores of the day was installing blaze markers

The climb to the top of Patterson Mountain is brutal by any route. This trail system is one of the most physically demanding that I have been on, brought to us by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) 70 or so years ago. I think those guys would get a kick out of us riding bicycles on them.

Remnants of trail signs installed long ago

The rest of our work day was riding, brushing out and blazing on Patterson Mountain trail

Finishing up with the ride out Elmore trail, which was much fun

Merry Christmas to all - CCR

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Map of the area

Our loop was Tucker Trail FS191, Patterson Mountain trail FS148, and Elmore Trail FS151, returning on Patterson Creek road. Kapusta should have a more accurate map on the RIMBA website at some point.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Great pics as always. Looks like a blast. Definitely ready to ride this one.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looks like a great ride. I see you broke out the Blur for this one.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got to check out some of these trails this past Saturday. Nice work with putting up the blaze markers!! It was nice to have them up due to the leaf cover. Them hills will wear a pair of legs out for sure, but offer some cool views of the area!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also was wondering.... From the bottom forest road, I picked up Elmore trail, a brief forest road section and then back on trail for a stout climb to the Patterson mtn trail..when I reached the top I went left. My question is, where does to the right go to? Would that be an easier access to the top if it drops to bottom? The map I have doesn't show. Not sure if that makes since or not. Lol
    Another route I'm curious about is.... Would taking the Kelly trail to the top to price mtn and going left be worth the effort or just a bad route?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Here is a jpeg of the map I made for Patterson Creek.
    Patterson Mountain Work and Play-patterson_creek_10-15-13jpg.jpg

Here is a link to a pdf of that map, perfect for printing.

It was updated last summer, so blaze colors are not shown on the north side of the Patterson Creek road. Also, everything in red dotted line are approximations, they had not been gps'd. All the maps out there other than this one that I have seen are very inaccurate in places.

Note that Helms trail no longer goes all the way up to the ridge to meet Patterson Mt Tr. The trail is still sort of there, and there are remnants of the sign at the top where it meets Patterson Mt Trail, but the FS asked us to not re-open it. Honestly, it is in such bad shape it is not worth the effort to do so, IMO.

We were also asked to close down most of the "Loop Trail".

Anyway, to your questions:

After you climbed Elmore, got on the road, got back on trail (which is still Elmore Trail, though the map I have shows it as Patterson Mt Trail) and got to the top, you hit Patterson Mt Trail. Since you went left then I assume you rode a number of miles along Patterson Mt Ridge. Had you gone right (which is not on my map because we had initially planned to close that, but changed our minds) then you would have gone just a little ways and hit the fs road you were on during the Elmore climb, just farther up the hill. CCR can correct me on this, but I think that would be an easier way to get up on the ridge.

Regarding going up Kelly and going left: The trails in the Price Mt side (Price Mt Tr, Kelly Tr, Sulfur Ridge Tr), are in much better shape than Patterson Mt Trail. The downhill on the north end of Price Mt Trail (as well as Sulphur Ridge Trail, and Kelly) is really good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Patterson Mountain Work and Play-patterson_creek_10-15-13jpg.jpg  

15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the info and the hard work y'all have put into the trail system.
    Last winter I rode price mtn trail from SR606 north to where I think Kelly trail intersects. I turned around at this point and rode back.
    My intention is to finish price mtn and thought maybe I could access it from Kelly trail. Also incorporate the a portion of Patterson mtn for one lung busting adventure!!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    Thanks for the info and the hard work y'all have put into the trail system.
    Last winter I rode price mtn trail from SR606 north to where I think Kelly trail intersects. I turned around at this point and rode back.
    My intention is to finish price mtn and thought maybe I could access it from Kelly trail. Also incorporate the a portion of Patterson mtn for one lung busting adventure!!
    From Kelly trail north on Price Mountain is definitely worth doing. As would be expected the climb up Kelly is brutal, but you can stay on the bike for all but two really steep pitches that are all you can do to walk on it.

To the right of Elmore Trail is the north end of Patterson Mountain trail. About a mile to the O & I road. As a climb it is probably a little easier than climbing Elmore. I highly recommend Elmore Trail as a downhill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Next trip I may try up Kelly then head north on Price down onto the forest road, then ride the forest road to Patterson to climb that portion of the trail. Then from there, drop onto Elmore to the bottom. Anyway, cant wait to get back out there and try it out!

Btw...I'm guessing the forest road stays open year round? Looks like some good places to car camp along there.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    Next trip I may try up Kelly then head north on Price down onto the forest road, then ride the forest road to Patterson to climb that portion of the trail. Then from there, drop onto Elmore to the bottom. Anyway, cant wait to get back out there and try it out!

Btw...I'm guessing the forest road stays open year round? Looks like some good places to car camp along there.
    Sounds like a good route. Sadly, the road closes in the winter after bear season ends (next Saturday). You will have to access Patterson Mountain from the south end trailhead, that is where they close the gate. Or Price Mountain from Rt 606 or Sulphur Ridge.

New Years day ride tomorrow at the boat ramp parking lot Carvin's Cove noon if you are in town. This is an open to all ride - NMans 23 annual first of the year ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm hoping everyone had a good ride on Jan. 1 at Carvins Cove. Didnt get to make it, but I managed to get a ride in at MST(Moores Spring Trail) in NC. I'm looking forward to get back to ride in VA soon!