Thread: Patapsco maps

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Patapsco maps

Updated official maps from DNR can be found here: http://dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/patapsco.asp

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome! Thank you for the link.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    And here are my maps for the Patapsco North area....
    Slide1
    Slide2
    Slide3

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey BmoreKen on the second map between marker 16 and 15 /Ballard trails is there a river crossing? Or are your legs the crossing? Anywhere I can download these maps?
    "If 650b is the future and 26"ers are the past then sitting on my B6'er I am in the middle of the here and now"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Ti View Post
    Hey BmoreKen on the second map between marker 16 and 15 /Ballard trails is there a river crossing? Or are your legs the crossing? Anywhere I can download these maps?
    If you PM me your email address I'll be happy to send you the pdf and give you more tips.

The P100 race had riders portage across the river. In the summer, at it's deepest, it might be 3 feet (mid-thigh on me). Nice and refreshing when it's hot out. I wouldn't recommend it in the fall/winter/spring.

The other river crossing, between miles 5 and 6 below the Rt. 40 bridge -- for the race, we were allowed to use the temporary construction bridge. I believe it's still there but they will be completing construction soon (and removing the temporary bridge, unfortunately). If not, the river is pretty shallow across there, just wide. Alternatively, you could either a) ride on Rt. 40 to cross (there is a 5 foot shoulder on the bridge and a larger shoulder on the other side until you reach the park entrance), or b) follow the Mill Race trail down to Oella and loop back through old Ellicott City (Old Frederick to Church Rd to Park Dr, which eventually becomes a gravel BGE access road that takes you into the park by camping sites). Yeah, lots of asphalt with option b, but I don't think it's so bad because it's very low traffic and hilly.

I would LOVE to see the park install a bridge of some variety there or down by the Daniels Dam. BTW the river crossing just downstream from Daniels Dam is fairly shallow with lots of rocks, but you will still get your feet and shins wet.

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    Strava Global Ride Heatmap

I always recommend a link to the strava global heat map. You can zoom into any location and see where people are riding. I personally don't use the strava app (I use map my fitness), but this map is pretty awesome.
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    Strava Global Ride Heatmap

I always recommend a link to the strava global heat map (see link above). You can zoom into any location and see where people are riding. I personally don't use the strava app (I use map my fitness), but this map is pretty awesome.

I have also attached a composite map of my rides (used map my fitness and google earth to create)
    001-8-4-13 map.pdf
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos