Thread: Patapsco Hotel

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Patapsco Hotel

I will be heading to Columbia, Md for two weeks in June for work. Can anyone recommend a hotel near a Patapsco trailhead where I could just ride out the door? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I couldn't recommend a hotel close enough to a Patapsco trailhead that you would want to ride to. They are out there but you will either have to ride on a road you will have a high chance of getting hit by a car and definitely contract bed bugs or a VD. Best bet is to get a hotel in the BWI hotel district and drive to the Avalon trailhead at the end of 195.

mtbr member
    You could camp at the park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You could get a hotel near BWI, e.g. Embassy Suites at BWI airport or Microtel Inn at BWI, and ride from there to Furnace Ave, cross Rt. 1 then Levering to River to inside the park. Just so you know, Levering/River dead ends - the road continues as an unmaintained park road that is blocked by a gate, but pedestrians and bicycles are allowed. You just go past the gate and that takes you into the park. Look at google map. These are mostly flat, low traffic roads that get plenty of bicycle use. The worst roads will be close to the hotel, but they probably aren't so bad depending on the time of day. Might be your best bet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bald eagle View Post
    I will be heading to Columbia, Md for two weeks in June for work. Can anyone recommend a hotel near a Patapsco trailhead where I could just ride out the door? Thanks.

Or look in Columbia. Not riding distance but a short drive. If you are not particular there is Brown's Motel on Rt 40 almost in the park.

mtbr member
    The holiday inn on Marshalee in elkridge is within what I'd call riding distance (~1.5 mile), and isn't the sort of place that rents rooms by the hour (Browns motel... well I'm not sure they do, but the parking lot is always, in the middle of the day, full of cars with local plates), if that matters to you. It's also closer to Columbia than the airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    The holiday inn on Marshalee in elkridge
    I noticed that hotel on my way home, never noticed it before. Columbia MD Hotels - Holiday Inn Express Columbia East It's your best bet for sure. from the hotel you could get over to rockburn branch park road (rockburn elem school) and follow that back into rockburn park, check out the skills park while you're in rockburn (Rockburn Skills Park - Home), then drop in to patapsco.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Smack dab in between the 100 mile race course and the popular Avalon areas of Patapsco. Plenty of bars and restaurants for post ride on the same street.
    The Obladi, Historic Ellicott City's Only Hotel