mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Patapsco & Fair Hill Trail Conditions?

I had a great birthday set of rides planned for my husband for Thursday at Patapsco in MD & Friday at Fair Hill in DE but this constant rain is making everything up in the air.

Anyone know how the trails are looking up around those parts?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Herd that Avalon is slick right now. Rideable but not quite ideal. I have plans to go out there tonight. I'll try and check back in later and let you know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bballboy388 View Post
    Herd that Avalon is slick right now. Rideable but not quite ideal. I have plans to go out there tonight. I'll try and check back in later and let you know.
    Thank you so much! We are excited to try some new trails for his birthday but this rain has made everything questionable. Personal reports are a godsend!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey sorry I didn't go out due to the rain. But I was getting my info from the Patapsco Mountain bikers group on facebook and I think you made your way there too. Hope it drys out tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bballboy388 View Post
    This is correct. Rode Avalon last night. Some standing water in ruts but overall the dirt surface is fine to ride. Some roots are slick - be careful.

Related - the trails in Rockburn park across Landing Rd are fairly sandy (hell on a drivetrain) but drain a lot faster. Its fine there when Patapsco is questionable. Yeah, its not nearly as interesting, but not bad.
    My other bike is a /7.

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    I rode last weekend, and it wasn't too bad. Some standing water, mud patches, slick trees, as noted above. It was just enough to be a little annoying. If you stay on the trails away from the stream beds you are better off. Stay on the ridges and higher trails, and you are just dealing with slick rocks/roots, and some mud puddles. Get down by the streams, and you have mud also. The stream crossings have also all changed at this point. Some have 6" of sand / rock on on either side now, and the lines through them have changed, so pay attention when you come across a stream crossing. I'm planning to ride there on Saturday, and hoping the heat drys it up some, between the rain.
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fair Hill got almost 4" of rain today in 2hrs. The new normal, I guess. Since the ground could not absorb that much rain and was already saturated, the trails are probably no worse off. Which still means another 24-48 hrs without rain before they are good. The gravel roads and hardened horse trails are OK, but why bother?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A buddy of mine rode yesterday starting at the park and ride down soapstone....The trail was hammered pretty bad lots of mud and erosion, he said it was like a completely different trail. The ridge trail was very doable as well as the area off of landing road adn the belmont area.

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    Trails were in better shape yesterday compared to a week ago. Not as muddy or wet. Speaking of patapsco.
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    On Saturday I rode from CCBC and did Santee Branch, Charcoal, Buzzards, and Ridge. Those trails weren't too bad, but the HoCo side has to be pretty bad as it doesn't drain very well.

mtbr member
    Wonder how anything will be tomorrow