mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Passing through Fayetteville, WV

I'll be passing through Fayetteville next week and am planning on hitting the Arrowhead Trails.

Can anyone tell me what the elevation change is like? Is there any extended climbing? I will be on a single speed and want to gear appropriately. I usually ride a 32x18 in the NC piedmont (Charlotte) and 32x20 in the big mountains (Asheville/Pisgah).

Also thinking about spending the night at one of the NPS campgrounds along the river. Is this a good idea or no?

Thanks for the advice.
    "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

spooge is gone!
    You may want to call ahead. Over 40k scouts in town. All campgrounds and hotels booked solid. Call bike shop to get info
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dang, didn't think about that. I'll be coming through the afternoon after the Jamboree so hopefully something will open up. If not, I'll get my ride in and move on. No worries.

Awesome user name BTW, I used to live in Great Cacapon outside Berkeley Springs many moons ago. Interesting place.
    "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

mtbr member
    There's supposed to be some pretty good riding just a little past Beckley too. Might be worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Arrowhead Trails were pretty cool. I ended up leaving my "big mountain" gear on but would have been fine with my normal setup.

After Arrowhead, I rode down Craig Branch and started down to Cunard. After hitting a 6-foot high wall of Kudzu (no joke), I back tracked to the Kaymoor mine site, ate lunch, talked to a dude from Tazmania (again no joke) and rode back to the car at Arrowhead.

I don't know that Arrowhead is a "destination" trail but it was a great way to break up a long drive. Thanks to Adam(?) at Marathon Bikes in Fayetteville for the ride advice.