mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Pandapas Pond Rowdy Dog Race

I'm planning on doing the XXC course for the first time (~57Miles) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to make it more enjoyable/feasible (ie, gear suggestions, food suggestions, pace, etc)? Much appreciated.

www.justthebonnet.com
    Gearing will depend on your bike. 26, 29'er, or singlespeed? If 26, then your standard triple will be fine. You are going to want a 42 big ring at the least for the flatter sections of trail and the fire road connectors. Last year I left on my bash guard and rode it 32-22 and I really wish I had on my big ring, but since I was volunteer course sweeper I wasn't racing.

Also, you will probably want to stage a food bag at the poverty creek/joe pye trail intersection if you plan on using bottles & not carrying a lot of food or supplies. I think if you use a 70oz. camleback minimum, and stuff your jersey pockets with gels/energy bars/bagette samwich you'll be ok. Just eat a good carb heavy breakfast.
    Their will be a lot of climbing for the 57 miler as you go up joe pye to connect to the other trails, which you descend.

Pace is very individual, and you should know your body. I would not go out super hard because you will pay for it later in the day...what is the saying, slow & steady win the race. If you are fit & competitive you may want to just ride with the lead group and then see how everyone is doing around mile 40 before launching any attacks. It would be a waste of energy to attack the group, get away, only later to be realed in by the group on a fire road. Know you strengths and exploit them later when everyone will be a little toasted.

Its a very fun race and a great course. Most importantly, even though it is a race, just have fun and you already have won.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks. Good suggestions; I appreciate it.

large member
    This is the first I've heard of this race. Any links out there with info? Also, what is the make-up of the course in regards to single track vs. fire road, etc.

Pretty fast pace I assume, any idea on the lead finish times?

Edit, found it on the east coasters site. Unfortunately it is the day after the Paranormal Enduro which I've already signed up for. I'll be recovering from that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here's some info on the race: http://eastcoasters.com/page.cfm?PageID=169

I plan on doing this. It will be my first race so I'm really excited!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ill probably go and spectate

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    bump because it's THIS SUNDAY!!!!!!

I can't wait! I went out and rode the beginners course yesterday and it's pretty brutal. The skullcap trail is NASTY!

Heads up Flyboy!!
    So tell me whats the deal Virginia? At least Roanoke, Blacksburg area riders. This was one of the funnest races I've done in a while. Laid back Grassroots feel with some sweet rocky n rooty singletrack to rule the day with some cool peps running the whole shinnanigan. What got me was the lack of participation. Only 9 riders in Double XC. From what I saw of the other classes they were lacking as well. At $25 dollars how could you go wrong in a race that offered up 40 miles of sweet n technical riding?

Man O man, when the Goat moves to town this just won't do. Oh yea, haven't heard. I'm moving to your neck of the woods. While I've may of taken on the role of more turtle then goat at the moment, enduro is the name of the ride, and Roanoke I'm coming to introduce it to ya.

Hope to meet some good peps who like sadistic riding in the near future in the Roanoke area. Gravel, singletrack, maybe even a little pavement to tie it all together. I know there are some 50-100 mile loops just waitin to be discovered. You may say it ain't so. I say you just ain't creative enough. If Panpandas Pond was just a glimpse of the riding I have in my future I can't wait to taste more. See ya soon.

Jeremy

User
    Anyone got pics from the event?
    "You think it's the dress you wear,
    That make you a lady.
    Get that out of your mind girl;

You must be crazy.
    Momma used to tell me,
    Long time ago, "Son,

Not every t'ing you see
    Glitter is gold."
    ---Peter Tosh in 'Brand New Second Hand'