CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Over and Back at Carvins Cove

Been a while since I posted up any pics.

Saturday gsomtb and I were planning on a Blue Ridge ride, but the weather forecast was not good. Turned out fine til mid-afternoon. I almost blew off riding altogether, but at the last minute decided to do the “Over and Back” at Carvins Cove.

I had surgery earlier this year and I am just now starting to feel good on the bike again.

Parked at the end of Timberview road ( I think that is the name).

Up the Trough

Bear just love our trail signs, or perhaps they are setting a trap

Cross the top

Down Buck

It is as fun as I remember

A few others out too

Across Hoe, sorry Hotel

Thanks Brian B. and trail work crew for fixing the entrance from the parking lot.

And the trail crew that fixed this

On lower Hi-Dee-Hoe

Going up Hi-Dee-Hoe always gives me an idea of my fitness level. I was able to ride it all except a few switchback spots.

Across to the Ol School Gaunlet entrance

About as gnarly as I remember it

With aerial assists for those who want to fly

Great day to be on the bike (aren’t they all)

A little early leaf color

Sharing the trail with a group of teen riders, which is good for us all….

mtbr member
    Sweet pictures. Looks like it was a good ride.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Sweet pictures. Looks like it was a good ride.
    Sure was.

mtbr member
    I need to get back to the Cove badly.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for posting! I come up from GSO, NC to ride often. Its great to see pic's of the area, because I've learned alot from them. Been doing lots of riding over toward Montvale in the Blue Ridge area also. Great stuff up there!!
    Carvins was excellent Saturday!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great post. I need to get down there to ride the Cove. I miss it badly! Hope to get down there in Sept. for a solid day of riding. Trails looked to be in great condition.

two wheel whore
    Looks awesome - thanks for sharing.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    Thanks for posting! I come up from GSO, NC to ride often. Its great to see pic's of the area, because I've learned alot from them. Been doing lots of riding over toward Montvale in the Blue Ridge area also. Great stuff up there!!
    Carvins was excellent Saturday!!
    Montvale / Buchanan / Arcadia is just about my favorite riding area. Nothing wrong with the Cove either, but variety is good.

Thanks all for the kind remarks.

mtbr member
    CCR, thanks for an another awesome ride report with pics!

I gotta say, albeit a bit tongue-in-cheek, I was saddened to see that the entrance/exit to the lot was fixed. That was the perfect spot for a little start/end of the ride hotdogging and carnage. However, Brian and crew did stellar work as always, and the new stone armoring on the extension is nothing short of a work of art.

Keep the pics coming, makes sitting in the office a bit more tolerable
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Great post. I need to get down there to ride the Cove. I miss it badly! Hope to get down there in Sept. for a solid day of riding. Trails looked to be in great condition.
    I haven't been on the lowers in a while, they were a mess earlier this year with all the rain. I am guessing they are OK now. The uppers are in excellent shape.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowBusa View Post
    CCR, thanks for an another awesome ride report with pics!

I gotta say, albeit a bit tongue-in-cheek, I was saddened to see that the entrance/exit to the lot was fixed. That was the perfect spot for a little start/end of the ride hotdogging and carnage. However, Brian and crew did stellar work as always, and the new stone armoring on the extension is nothing short of a work of art.

Keep the pics coming, makes sitting in the office a bit more tolerable
    Another guy I know said he liked the entrance the way it was. I wonder how many peoples ride started and ended right there. I have not been over to the extension to see the rework but I saw a picture. It could be the centerfold for "Armoring" magazine.

I thought I put these up this morning but it must not have took. These pics are from the RIMBA Facebook page. I am not sure who to credit but thanks to all who worked and the photographer.

Last edited by CraigCreekRider; 08-21-2013 at 07:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    Another guy I know said he liked the entrance the way it was. I wonder how many peoples ride started and ended right there. I have not been over to the extension to see the rework but I saw a picture. It could be the centerfold for "Armoring" magazine.

I thought I put these up this morning but it must not have took. These pics are from the RIMBA Facebook page. I am not sure who to credit but thanks to all who worked and the photographer.

That armoring job is pretty amazing! It was a real mess after that big rain. They did a great job.

Does anyone know anything about the new trail that is being built next to the lower entrance of The Gauntlet? I noticed it one day while I was riding.

mtbr member
    I noticed the new trail at the bottom of Gauntlet the other day as well, it looked like a basic "rake out" type trail heading in the direction of Hemlock. While there was some talk of building a new trail along the cove to connect the two I'm not sure if this is an official trail or more rouge trail building. It would be great to have a connection there as that would open up two additional loop possibilities.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah, I am pretty sure it's going to be a new trail. I got curious and rode it back in May as far as it goes, which is about a mile. It was pretty cool. It runs along the lake and has a really cool log bridge that goes over a large fallen tree. And it also has this crossing I took a picture of.

Over and Back at Carvins Cove-2013-05-04_14-55-45_937.jpg

Over and Back at Carvins Cove-2013-05-04_14-55-39_178.jpg

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Hear tell its a roque trail of questionable legality. But I believe there is one in the plans somewhere through there, maybe they can work something out.

mtbr member
    I'm kind of torn on the rouge trail building out there.Bridge looks kind of sketchy with the roofing shingles and hand written note. But if it does go to Hemlock and were not told to stay off it it really opens up things on this side and eliminates the stuck in the middle of nowhere nature of Hemlock. Maybe even revive stickman/armatia (sp)?