• 01-11-2013
    BikePSU
    One day to ride Douthat - recommended route?
    I have a visit to western VA next weekend and am able to ride Douthat for a day. Can anyone recommend a route that I definitely should take? Thanks!
  • 01-11-2013
    BikePSU
    Better yet: Carvins Cove or Douthat???
  • 01-12-2013
    Bird
    I prefer to do all the loops clock-wise at Douthat.

My favorite is up Ross camp...Mtn side...then down Brushy hollow.On the other side i like going up Stoney man and down Salt stump.

Its all good but clock-wise is better.
  • 01-12-2013
    gsomtb
    map:
    http://www.hokiespokes.com/maps/douthat.pdf

Park near the lake - on the map, hang the only left at the upper left side of the lake and park. you will do a badass dh and end up here.

ride the road that more or less parallels ross camp hollow trail on the map.

at the lollipop at the top on the map, hop on the trail.

STAY ON mountain SIDE trail for the entire ridge. hang at the overlook. shred the killer dh down to the road you drove in on.

Up Stoney Run, hang at the overlook, across the ridge.

Once the Ridge points downward and you're really hauling, pay attention and take the only trail on the right - Ray Charles couldn't miss it. Salt Stump. VERY, VERY fast sweet Va. sidecut.

Stay on the trail and go straight at the 2 or intersections. it turns into sweet IMBA-style machine cut trail with jumps.
    There is one intersection towards the bottom that is tricky - you will cross the creek several times then trail will split - left is slightly downhill, right is steep uphill - go left. it happens quick.

you will end up in the campground near where you parked.

if i could only do 2 or 3 rides for the rest of my life this would be one of them....
  • 01-12-2013
    CraigCreekRider
    I think this is similar to what Bird suggests with some more specifics. The loop I like is very similar to the XC Middle Mountain Mama race:
    Park at the park headquarters where you get a day pass. Go north 1/4 mile and turn left on the road just before the dam. I think there is a sign for a kids fishing area there. Go to the end of that road and get on Blue Suck Falls trail. Go up a mile or so and go left on Locust Gap. Contour that around a couple of miles and go right on Stony Run. Climb climb climb and close to the top take a right to Tuscarora Overlook – a must do if the weather is clear. From there backtrack to Stony Run and finish the climb to Middle Mountain trail. On top, ride several miles on one of the sweetest trails around. Take a right onto Salt Stump for a very fun and tight downhill back to the asphalt. Cross the road and climb Ross Trail and hang a right onto Mountain Side trail. Contour around to the ridge top and get onto Brushy Hollow Trail for one of the best downhills around. If you haven’t ridden Douthat, I would do this before Carvins Cove. Both are good though, Douthat climbs and downhills are bigger going up and down.

Blue Suck Falls>Locust Gap> Stoney Run>Middle Mountain>Salt Stump>Ross Camp>Mountain Side>Brushy Hollow

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_pa...ts/douthat.pdf
  • 01-12-2013
    CraigCreekRider
    gsomtb must have writing the same time as I was - great minds think alike:) Same loop as what I have except for the Locust Gap -Blue Suck Falls dogleg.

Hands down one of the best 20 mile-ish rides in VA.
  • 01-12-2013
    gsomtb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    gsomtb must have writing the same time as I was - great minds think alike:) Same loop as what I have except for the Locust Gap -Blue Suck Falls dogleg.

Hands down one of the best 20 mile-ish rides in VA.

For sure!
  • 01-13-2013
    BikePSU
    Awesome responses! Thanks a lot for all the input. I am putting it all together and will report back on my ride. Definitely doing Douthat. I appreciate the help!
  • 01-13-2013
    CraigCreekRider
    I was up there today and the trails are good, assuming no snow between now and next weekend.
  • 01-13-2013
    BikePSU
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    I was up there today and the trails are good, assuming no snow between now and next weekend.

Nice, thanks CCR. I was wondering about snow up on the top/ridges. Looks like the forecast might set up for higher elevation snow, but should be gone for the weekend.

Any idea how long I should expect the loop might take? With less elevation, I can knock out 25 miles in about two and a half hours.

I'm excited to ride there!
  • 01-13-2013
    kapusta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BikePSU View Post
    Nice, thanks CCR. I was wondering about snow up on the top/ridges. Looks like the forecast might set up for higher elevation snow, but should be gone for the weekend.

Any idea how long I should expect the loop might take? With less elevation, I can knock out 25 miles in about two and a half hours.

I'm excited to ride there!

I think the loop being described is around 16 miles, maybe a little more. However, it is almost ALL extended climbs and DHs. Plus you will want to allow some time to chill at the lookouts on either ridge. DO NOT skip the Tuscarora Overlook.

One option to add to what the others have said: if you want a bit of extra climbing (actually, the worst suffering Douthat has to offer), in exchange for some extra DH, take Mountain Top instead of Mountain Side Trail. Mt Top goes over the top of the peak, and MT Side goes (you guessed it) around the side. I always used to take Mt Top, but the last few times I've taken Mt Side, and I think I'm going to go back to doing Mt Top next time I'm there.
  • 01-14-2013
    CraigCreekRider
    I would allow 4 hours+ for my slow arse. Jeremy Bishop can do it (with Mountain Top added) in 2 hours.
  • 01-14-2013
    CraigCreekRider
    Race results show some of the typical fast rider times
    Middle Mountain Momma
  • 01-16-2013
    Bird
    I've ridden that loop atleast a 100 times and still stop at the over-look every time.lol
    I even stop going down Brushy a few times to let my rotors cool.

Yes...more then 2 hrs for me too even without any push a bike.:)
  • 01-16-2013
    BikePSU
    Looks like Eagle Rock/Clifton Forge/surrounding areas are predicted to get a pretty decent snowfall Thursday pm (3 to 7 inches). I suspect the snow won't be gone by Saturday morning, especially opn the ridges. Could make for a tough Douthat ride! Could make for a fun ride, too... But I might have to postpone unless I can come up with a fat bike. The climbs will probably be that much harder with snow. Right?
  • 01-16-2013
    kapusta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BikePSU View Post
    Looks like Eagle Rock/Clifton Forge/surrounding areas are predicted to get a pretty decent snowfall Thursday pm (3 to 7 inches). I suspect the snow won't be gone by Saturday morning, especially opn the ridges. Could make for a tough Douthat ride! Could make for a fun ride, too... But I might have to postpone unless I can come up with a fat bike. The climbs will probably be that much harder with snow. Right?

I'd be just as concerned about the mud.

It has been raining nonstop for about 3 days now. Many inches total. And with the temps dropping to highs in the low 40's, even if the snow is melted, the ground is totally saturated, and highs in the 40s do little to dry it out.
  • 01-16-2013
    Stray Mutt
    I totally agree with the routes offered. Douthat is all good. Except for my first time there when I rode down Blue Suck from the top, that might be fun for some but I did not enjoy that.

But I'll offer my 25 or so mile route for consideration. About 4 hours or so.

Park somewhere. Ride north on the road to Beaver Dam campground, Take Backway hollow to I think a piece of Salt Stump and then onto Laurel View to Locust Gap all the way south to Stoney Run. Eat Something. Up Stoney Run to Middle Mtn (Tuscarora Stop if weathers good) Middle Mtn north to down Salt Stump. Down Salt Stump and take any of the three routes back to get onto Locust Gap again. Usually Laurel view for me I think but there is a trail below there that is great too. Locust Gap again to Stoney Run again but go down the lower Stoney Run to the road. North past the truck, eat something, Up Guest lodge or Ross Camp to Mtn. Side or Mtn. Top and down Brushy Hollow. Back to truck. Have a beer.

I only manage to go a couple times a year but they are the best couple days riding every year.
  • 04-18-2014
    chillindrdude
    anyone gonna be riding tues or wednesday next week? april 22 or 23? i'm staying at the homestead with wife and kids.