mtbr member
    Jul 2011

One day in Charlottesville

Due to holiday traveling, I have exactly one day in Charlottesville this Sunday to get a good ride in. I have all day with the car, and I'm willing to drive about an hour and a half each way.

I'm bringing the 6" trail bike, and I'm up for about 3k of climbing and 15 to 30 miles depending on the terrain. I could do fast and smooth or chunky and bony, but I'd prefer at least some good fun tech.

Right now I'm looking at the IMBA epics at the Southern Traverse and Douthat State Park. Do they represent the best of what's out there? What's the real "can't-miss" VA mountain ride?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Both of those are good. Also Lookout mountain is quite good, as is Narrow Back, which you could ride from the same parking area, and do both in one day. I think everything you're looking at is going to stress your 1.5 hour each way driving time. You may realistically be looking at more like 2 each way.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I haven't ridden there but I hear a lot of good things about the Sherando Lake area - which would be less of a drive. Douthat is great but not all that technical, lots of climbing. Middle Mountain trail there is my favorite.
    http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/CraigCreekRider
    Its Jake - From State Farm. What are you wearing?

BMF
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Plus one for Sherando.

mtbr member
    I'm hearing Sherando is closed at the moment due to government shut downs. You might dig into that a bit deeper if you get serious about Sherando.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I've ridden at Sherando and at Douthat. I definitely prefer Douthat. Brushy Hollow Trail is one of the most fun downhills that ridden so far.

My preferred loop goes clockwise: Wilson Creek Trail >> Ross Camp Trail >> Mountain Side Trail >> Mountain Top Trail (tail end to connect to...) >> Brushy Hollow Trail >> Flat Run Trail.

If you feel up to a longer ride, you could start with the western ridge (Stony Run >> Middle Mountain >> Blue Suck Falls >> Locust Gap >> Beards Gap Hollow >> the loop above).

Wherever you end up, have a fun ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BMF View Post
    Plus one for Sherando.
    +2

Grew up in C'ville. Haven't ridden there in a while, but Sherando was it.