And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Ok the trip is on!

ok, so about a week ago I posted some question here about riding in the dc area. The thing is, it wasn't me! My girlfriend, who doesn't ride, was trying to plan a surprise weekend trip for my birthday. Of course I got suspicious abot her sudden interest in what kind of terrain I like and that sort of thing. anyway, We have planned a trip for march4th/5th to go to the dc area and I'm hoping to get a ride happeningon sat, or sun. AM if sat is not possible. It looks like Papsico or gambrill SP are the local specials. We're coming down to your neck of the woods because it seems to be the least amount of driving to get to waether warm enough to enjoy a ride in early march. So I beg your indulgence for another round of questions.

What kind of weather/temps should we expect in early march?

Is there any consensus on where I should be going? I'm guessing gambrill is the safer bet, assuming that it has what I'm looking for.

Does anyone want to hook up for a 2-5 hour ride at onr of these places? I would love to have some guidance at meet some cool peeps. Of course I would return the favour if anyone decides they want to try some upstate NY riding. I'm hoping for a keep it moving kind of ride with some good elevation changes and lots of singletrack. It would be cool if I could find people in my general skill/speed level. I'm no Kabush, But I like to ride hard.

A little backround might help. I'm a 34 year old hardtail xc racer, with decent singletrack skills. I'm in the process of trying to jump the gap from being a top 3 sport rider to being a consistant mid pack or better expert. I'm strongest at shorter, faster rides (1.5-2.5 hours), but I'm trying to improve my samina without losing too much speed. I checked the threads that my girlfriend hijacked my name with( had to make sure she didn't embarrass me ) and saw that everyone was really helpful and cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hate to say, but Patapsco MAY still be too muddy that time of year to ride. Kinda of a coin flip that time of yr. Gambrils will be good though and I'd be happy to show you all around either plavce. Drop me a line and let me know when!

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Hey crashed

Thanks for responding. I just wanted to give my post a couple of days to ferment and see if any kind of posse might form. Our tentative day for riding is still march 4th at a REASONABLE hour of the mid AM variety Does that work out for you?.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by guava
    Thanks for responding. I just wanted to give my post a couple of days to ferment and see if any kind of posse might form. Our tentative day for riding is still march 4th at a REASONABLE hour of the mid AM variety Does that work out for you?.

Works for me. Judging by the weather that's outside my window right now I would recommend riding at Grambril/Shed. I typically get up there around 10 to 11 am. Most anything else is slop right now due to that snowstorm we had last weekend. where ya staying at? I typically get up there around 10 to 11 am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I might be able to hook up with ya too.

I know the trails in Gambrill and the 'shed really well, and can easily put together a 20-25 mile 5 hour ride.

As for the weather? Could be anywhere from 20 to 60 It's been a VERY warm winter so far, but who knows.

Dave

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

5 hours?

I would think we coulld knock out 25 in like 3 hours or so, unless we're riding alp duez.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It depends.

I would think we coulld knock out 25 in like 3 hours or so, unless we're riding alp duez.
    In the middle of the summer when I'm in the middle of training for 100 mile endurance races I can knock out 25 miles in 3.5 hours if I basically don't stop @ all.

During the winter, with wet/soft trails I'd guess 4-5 hours, but you could just be a lot faster than I am

You could easily knock out 25 miles in 3 hours @ Patapasco but Gambrill is a lot slower due to the elevation gain and rocks.

Dave

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

volume vs. intensity

I'm not used to pacing myself for 5 hour or 100 mile rides. That would effin kill me. I'm used to xc race distance/pace, i.e. redlining it for 20 miles/2 hours and then collapsing into the fetal position and waiting for the shock to pass so that I can eat .It's been a long time since I've ridden more than 3 hours in the dirt. If I do that it's usually on the road. I've been known to be that annoying guy in the group that tries to hammer everyone into the dirt for 2 hours, and than hits the wall and has to be towed back to the parking lot. I'm reforming though, really! Besides, It's winter for me too, and I've hardly gotten to ride dirt at all for a couple of months. The winters up here suck like a hoover.
    Last edited by guava; 02-18-2006 at 08:14 AM.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Fruck!

OK, the trip is OFF! Events have conspired to postpone our trip, but I still hope we will get down there some time. Thanks to crash and shmoe for the info and invite to ride. Hopefully I will still get to ride with you guys someday.

Unit 91
    If you are planning a trip down in the spring, PM me and I will let you know if our shop group ride is still on. That will give you a good tour of the park.
    Bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0