Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NoVA trail maps

mtbr member
    Walking might produce a more accurate track. I don't know for sure. I generally get tracks from Garmin Connect. Since I'm only using the tracks a guideline and drawing overtop, I can kinda average and correct as I draw. Not sure how it would work for a small, tight trail, but I'm willing to take a look at it.

Thanks again to everyone who has said something nice. If anyone uses one of my maps to check a trail system out for the first time, I'd love it if you drop me a line afterward and let me know how it went. If it was useful, if there was anything you wish I'd had on there, etc. Feedback is always welcome.

mtbr member
    After a few months playing roadie, I'm getting back onto the MTB and working on wrapping up some of my mapping projects. After finishing Fort Dupont (50% done) and Conway (90%), my next project is going to be Patapsco. Its by far the most requested map when I talk to peeps.

I've already made a rough start on it. Thing is, I don't know the trails there very well (its pretty far from me). So, anyone with good local knowledge who is willing to help, please fire me a PM with your email, or just drop me an email (mine is on all my maps).

Slingin' mud
    Great work.............I wonder if someone has done this for MD?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail 355 View Post
    Great work.............I wonder if someone has done this for MD?
    Thanks! Which trails in Maryland are you referring to? I focused on NoVA trails first (since thats where I live), but many of mine are of MD trails. I'd ultimately like to have all the trails in the greater DC area mapped.

mtbr member
    Thanks to some local help, I wrapped up the Conway map over the weekend.

Conway Robinson

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Awesome, I didn't even know this existed.

Can you comment on the relative difficulty overall/between the trails there?
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

mtbr member
    At Conway? I have no idea, I've never ridden there. Hence me needing some help to actually draw the map.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks! So much. I live in Fredericksburg, VA, and rarely get to go north, so these maps are extremely helpful. Come down and map Lodi Farms in Fredericksburg. They have some endurance races there!

Spandex Ninja
    Awesome, props to ya for these

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madd4e View Post
    Thanks! So much. I live in Fredericksburg, VA, and rarely get to go north, so these maps are extremely helpful. Come down and map Lodi Farms in Fredericksburg. They have some endurance races there!
    Thanks!

Lodi: I've always wanted to ride there. One of these days I'll make it down!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I've been doing some updates and added some additional trails. Fairland, Greenbrier and the Seneca Ridge are all new, and I updated Fountainhead to reflect the new trail layout.

Updated list:

VIRGINIA
    Lake Accotink
    Conway Robinson
    Elizabeth Furnace
    Fountainhead
    Lake Fairfax
    Laurel Hill
    Wakefield

MARYLAND
    Black Hill
    Fairland
    Gambrill
    Greenbrier
    Hoyles Mill
    Rosaryville
    Schaeffer Farm
    Seneca Ridge

mtbr member
    Very cool maps...
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I've been doing some updates and added some additional trails. Fairland, Greenbrier and the Seneca Ridge are all new, and I updated Fountainhead to reflect the new trail layout.

Updated list:

VIRGINIA
    Lake Accotink
    Conway Robinson
    Elizabeth Furnace
    Fountainhead
    Lake Fairfax
    Laurel Hill
    Wakefield

MARYLAND
    Black Hill
    Fairland
    Gambrill
    Greenbrier
    Hoyles Mill
    Rosaryville
    Schaeffer Farm
    Seneca Ridge

Excellent work JW. We don't have maps that cool out here in CO, maybe I"ll have our local IMBA chapter give you a ring for some "consulting".

I am taking the family on the annual trek out to Leesburg again this year for Thxgiving week, any new trails/routes that are worth checking out? I"m looking forward to some rides on the rootier, wetter terrain, its been a pretty dry year out here.

*EDIT*: also, advice on a ride with some good elevation change would be great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    I am taking the family on the annual trek out to Leesburg again this year for Thxgiving week, any new trails/routes that are worth checking out? I"m looking forward to some rides on the rootier, wetter terrain, its been a pretty dry year out here.

*EDIT*: also, advice on a ride with some good elevation change would be great.
    Leesburg has a new trail just north in Lucketts, the Freedom Center. I've not ridden there, but its fairly small. I don't have the map drawn yet but I likely will by Thanksgiving.

Your best choice for technical terrain with lots of elevation change is Gambrill State park/Frederick Watershed. Lots of rocky mountainous terrain there. I have a Gambrill map drawn, but unfortunately the legal status of the FredShed precludes distributing a map. You kinda gotta find a local to show you around. Its worth the effort though, the trails there are truly awesome.

MTB Trail Advocate
    @ Tin Cup:

Do check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/MTBLoCo

I suspect that a message to any from that page will get you going on local trails. If you are feeling adventurous drive down Rt7 to the SR 286, formerly SR 7100 and visit Fountainhead Regional Park

Fountainhead - Main Page

or any of the parks listed in JW's list...closest to you would be Lake Fairfax in Reston, VA.

Enjoy!
    PHX, AZ MTBDOC MTB Customs and Repairs

dirtbag
    I'm moving to VA soon and this is a great resource. Thanks jabberwocky!
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks a lot for these, I'm a new rider and needed to get an idea of what the trails were llike in the area! I'm from Fairfax/Chantilly area and all of these are easily accessible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2