mtbr member
    Aug 2012

NOVA Epic - Righteous!!!

Did the 20 miler today and it was an awesome time. Great riding, great food (beef brisket ftmfw), good beer, and cool peeps. will ride it again next year for sure. even if that hidden right turn off of the OD is still part of the course!

mtbr member
    I think the food at the second aid station on the 20 miler was better than at the Hunt Club, but the Hunt Club had beer, so it evens out

Good time for sure!

mtbr member
    I did the 62 and had fun. 8 hours on the bike is a long day though.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any idea how the thing turned out, participation wise?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Anyone have any idea how the thing turned out, participation wise?
    i would guess something over 100. There were some 60 people shuttled out to the 65 & 40 miler starts and there were probably that many on the 25 miler. not bad given the forecast for that day with crazy heat and afternoon thunderstorms. sucks for those that skipped it because of weather. it wasnt quite as hot and the rain held out through the first 2 hours of the after-party. good stuff...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Was Laurel Hill mowed for this event? I like riding there when other trails are closed because of rain, but over a month ago the place was a ridiculous tick infested jungle.

that guy
    Jun 2011

Re: NOVA Epic - Righteous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Was Laurel Hill mowed for this event? I like riding there when other trails are closed because of rain, but over a month ago the place was a ridiculous tick infested jungle.
    It's always a tick-infested mess... hate that place! lol

And the NovaEpic was a damn good time, for sure -- even though I had to do 8 miles of the 20-mile loop while stuck in my toughest (lowest?) gear! Doh!

mtbr member
    welcome to the world of singlespeeding....

Trail Prospector
    LH was cut just before the event, and is again in need of attention.
    Fun place to ride when the weather sucks, but if ticks make you cringe it's best to avoid.
    Got a nasty case of P.Ivy, & chiggers while de-flagging the NoVA course - arrrrrgh.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

NOVA Epic - Righteous!!!

I think the event was pretty good. I only have 2 gripes: (1) shuttle could have left earlier to start in cooler temps. (2) Marking in WF was confusing and I rode parts of it twice. The Bikenetic aid station at WF though made up for getting lost in WF with some tasty beverages

If you compare it to MoCo, I liked the NoVA for the simple piece that it wasn't crowded. MoCo last year was frustrating at times getting stuck behind large groups of slower riders...especially when heading down hill. It seemed to me that at MoCo there were more people that signed up for rides that were beyond their capability. Again, being smaller, the NoVa was nicer getting a post ride beer, food, and hanging out. MoCo to the contrary (this may be showing my age) was not pleasant at all trying to get food and a beer after the ride...you had to be within a few feet of the band getting your ear drums blown out, all underneath the same tent that probably trapped some of the sound.

I some how managed to pick up poison ivy for my first time since moving here 1.5 years ago. I used to get it poison oak all the time where I used to live....so even though it sucks, doesn't really detract from the ride for me. Managed to make it through LH without a single tick, so thanks to those that had a hand in getting it cut before the ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I will pass along the recommendations, etc. There were slightly over 200 riders, no injuries, etc. It was a good time.

Thanks