mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Not from here--Dahlgren/Fredericksburg weather in March-May?

So Uncle Sam is sending me to Dahlgren, VA for 2 1/2 months of temporary duty (March 1-May 15). I plan on bringing both my mountain and road bikes. What's the weather typically like in Virginia (Dahlgren/Fredericksburg areas specifically, but plan on travelling the state on weekends) during this time of year?
    Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by usn.mustanger View Post
    So Uncle Sam is sending me to Dahlgren, VA for 2 1/2 months of temporary duty (March 1-May 15). I plan on bringing both my mountain and road bikes. What's the weather typically like in Virginia (Dahlgren/Fredericksburg areas specifically, but plan on travelling the state on weekends) during this time of year?
    Thanks!
    I can't speak for that area in particular (I'm in the Roanoke / Blacksburg area), but as far as the Mountains in the western part of the state (Blue Ridge, Allegheny), things should be pretty good. Winter is a little bit of a crap shoot (riding a lot this week, other years it could be all snow and mud), but by March things are usually pretty good. Early March is sometimes still a little sloppy, but by the end of March you can count on it being OK. April and May are wonderful around here, both in the woods and on the road.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, kapusta! What about temperature?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    its always around the 60's and 70's during that time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twostrokemoto View Post
    its always around the 60's and 70's during that time
    Towards the second half of April and May that is accurate. Early March snow is not uncommon around here. It really depends on the year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    you can expect a lot of rain obviously

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It all depends on where you moved from.

Mtn Biking ...I am from Colorado, so to me, very flat, smooth flowing trails. Roots. Fatmug.org and there is a second group but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Regarding road riding... Leave your bike in the garage. No shoulders, drivers don't know how to share the road or work with cyclists. I grew up in a cycling community so I have high standards.

Send me a PM for more info.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by usn.mustanger View Post
    Thanks, kapusta! What about temperature?
    Again, just speaking for my part of the state:

Early March could be anywhere from 30's through the 70's. By May, Could be 50's through the 80's. The temps are all over the map in the spring, and even winter. We have a high today of 66, two days from now it will be 25.

Road riding in the mountains is pretty awesome around here. Endless miles of remote back roads, and very little traffic. MTB trails are everything from easy to brutal climbs and extremely technical.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

fred riding

Quote Originally Posted by Bspecialized View Post
    It all depends on where you moved from.

Mtn Biking ...I am from Colorado, so to me, very flat, smooth flowing trails. Roots. Fatmug.org and there is a second group but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Regarding road riding... Leave your bike in the garage. No shoulders, drivers don't know how to share the road or work with cyclists. I grew up in a cycling community so I have high standards.

Send me a PM for more info.
    FATMUG - FATMUG and FAMBE are the two groups both top notch IMO, FATMUG keeps Quarry going andFAMBE is reaching out beyond Fredericksburg and has kept Lodi in Great Shape. I am not a formal memeber of either one so saying that out of appreciation of their work.

Road Riding is fine here IMO, no matter where you go drivers are PIA, but out in Dahgren King George area there are roads with shoulders and plenty of back country roads. Bring it you will use it.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!