CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

New Virginia Endurance Series

For those that like their rides (and pain) on the big side, this might be for you
    Virginia Endurance Series: Announcing the "Virginia Endurance Series" (VES) of FREE Backcountry Mountain Biking Events

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    At least 3 more events are in the works and will be added to the VES schedule - probably during December!

These riding destinations are all amazing, and everything you'll need to navigate and enjoy these epic routes will be detailed on the website.

FREE all-day ultra-epic backcountry mountain biking fun!!!

Also, the VES "Craig County Crusher" event website has just been updated with navigation, hydration and nutrition information!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Virginia Endurance Series

There is a ride next Sunday March 3 through some of the most awesome back country in Virignia, and the Blue Ridge Parkway goes right through the middle of it. I don't have the legs for the whole ride but I hope to be out there somewhere.

The Terrapin Mountain Predicament | FREE Event #2 in Virginia's Mountain Biking Endurance Series | Facebook More up to minute info on Facebook page
    This is part of the ride

Arcadia Up and Over Ride

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to make it to the terrapin ride but work may get in the way. It's a great area but the past few times I've been up there everything has been covered in snow making for slow going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This ride is going to be amazing! I can't for next weekend! Yaaaaahooooooeeeee!

mtbr member
    Any reports/ GPS tracks from this ride?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I don't have the technical data, and I lost my camera somewhere on the White Oak Ridge section, but I can vouche that it was as billed... EPIC! Some of the most beautifull back country I have ever laid eyes on. And all the elements were favorable for adventure: big climbs, big descents, excellent people, unfathonable beauty, very cold, and nearly getting lost on more than one occasion. All in all it was big fun!

mtbr member
    I think Rob and/or Wake have posted partial GPX files on Strava. Some of their pictures are awesome! I so wish I had the endurance and skill for a ride like this. Maybe that's my goal for next year!!!
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I, like BikerJen didn't make it. Maybe next year my legs will be strong enough for this.

The first section:
    2013 Terrapin Mountain Predicament - Start to Parker's Gap - YouTube

mtbr member
    I can't believe Rob rode some of those sections!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Some video from the second stretch. Lots of grassy doubletrack on this stretch

2013 Terrapin Mountain Predicament - from BRP @Sunset Field around White Oak Ridge - YouTube

At least 2 more videos coming I believe. I think Robert mentioned one of Terrapin Mountain and one of Cornelius Creek. Should be awesome.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Part 2 of Terrapin Mountain

All natural sound on these videos so provide your own music if needed.

2013 Terrapin Mountain Predicament - Terrapin Mt Trail Part 2 - YouTube

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Terrapin Mountain Part 3 link
    2013 Terrapin Mountain Predicament - Terrapin Mt Trail Part 3 - YouTube

This stretch looks meaner and rougher than the others

mtbr member
    I'll watch this one while I eat lunch. =)

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    2013 Terrapin Mountain Predicament - base of Terrapin and start of BIG climb - YouTube

The stretch around the base of Terrapin Mountain is very nice. Old double track completely regrown and single track now. Cross Reed Creek and then the climb is on. For a long, long time. Too bad all of the maps I have seen show this trail incorrectly. The trail forms a complete loop across Terrapin Mountain, around the base of the mountain, climbs Reed Creek drainage and reconnects at Camping Gap.