Marathon Bicycle Company
    Jun 2006

New River Gorge Needs your HELP!

Time is running out to make comments about the need for more Mountain bike trails in the New River Gorge. If you have ever been here it is awesome but there is still more work to be done. We need to let the park service know that more Mountain bike trials are needed and desired by not only the locals but by all the visitors that vacation here. Visit IMBA’s website and click the “take action” link to read up on the situation. The deadline is fast approaching (July 15th) so your comments are needed quick. We need your help! Thank You.
    P.S. If you know any boaters or climbers that bike as well they might be interested in helping us out since the gorge is very popular with these groups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are yyou the Adam that use to work at South Hills Ski and Bike in Kanawha City?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What's the low-down on this situation?

Is the Park Service going to mandate that no new trails be built within the Gorge... yet somehow allow condos to be developed WITHIN view of recreationalists?

I love that Gorge... I grew-up in it. It's one of the few places in WV I really care for.

Marathon Bicycle Company
    Jun 2006
    Crashandburn. Nope I am a different Adam

Pipedream, There is allot going on with the park and the GMP's (general management plan) revisions. Look at the IMBA website and then the park services website and if you have any specific questions I should be able to answer them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pipedream
    What's the low-down on this situation?

Is the Park Service going to mandate that no new trails be built within the Gorge... yet somehow allow condos to be developed WITHIN view of recreationalists?

I love that Gorge... I grew-up in it. It's one of the few places in WV I really care for.

Hey Pipedream, You wanna hook up for a ride w/ Lowcel and me? you seem to know Kanawha Forest well enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I suppose so... it's been awhile since I rode any "real" trails out there.

if it's not 92 again tomorrow (okay, so I should get up before like noon) I'm probably gonna go ride the completed Middle Ridge Trail then bomb Hoffman.

I thought about going to see the damage near Wildcat... but then I remembered what Boundary Ridge Rd. is like AFTER Polly Hollow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pipedream
    I suppose so... it's been awhile since I rode any "real" trails out there.

if it's not 92 again tomorrow (okay, so I should get up before like noon) I'm probably gonna go ride the completed Middle Ridge Trail then bomb Hoffman.

I thought about going to see the damage near Wildcat... but then I remembered what Boundary Ridge Rd. is like AFTER Polly Hollow.

If you're going to ride up there, Why go down Hoffman??? Everyone I know CLIMBS Hoffman to get to Black Bear? And what's wrong w/ Boundry Ridge? Done it may times and love it. If you follow it past Wildcat, you'll hit the Mary Ingles trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=crashedandburned]If you're going to ride up there, Why go down Hoffman??? Everyone I know CLIMBS Hoffman to get to Black Bear? QUOTE]

The few times I've ridden BB I've just rode up the back way to middle ridge.

Oh well... no riding down there for a few days... it's swamped.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=pipedream]
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    If you're going to ride up there, Why go down Hoffman??? Everyone I know CLIMBS Hoffman to get to Black Bear? QUOTE]

The few times I've ridden BB I've just rode up the back way to middle ridge.

Oh well... no riding down there for a few days... it's swamped.
    Well, each to their own I guess. While I might be cussing Hoffman while climbing, I've always enjoyed it. Plus it really thins out the herd during the race. If they still make them climb it that is.

I've heard it's pretty bad out there right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I don't mean to highjack

I dont' mean to highjack this thread, but I'm coming down from Pittsburgh to do some whitewater rafting near Hico, is this around the same place you guys are talking about? if so I'd like to find some single track near there and would love to hook up with some locals for a ride, i'm coming down the 11,12,13, but I also have the 14th off and would like to ride the 14, we'll be rafting the 12th and 13th. Thanks alot for any info.

Marathon Bicycle Company
    Jun 2006

Would be glad to help.

A few questions first, What company are you going rafting with? and what river will you be going on? I have worked for some of the companies over there as a guide. As for trails just stop by the shop I work at and we will get you some free maps and and directions you will need to know. Better to do it in person than over the web. I work at Marathon Bicycle Company. It is located in downtown fayetteville adjecent from the courthouse. Use the website link page to get a preview of some of the trails in the area. www.marathonbicyclecompany.com

Members who have read this thread: 0