mtbr member

New Course for the Massanuten Hoo-Ha?!?!

I've hit this race 3 of the past 4 years but am taking this year off to recover from the TSE. It looks like they've totally changed the course up with a new prologue only run once and the main course in reverse. Is anybody racing this that can confirm? Also, it looks like they changed the XXC course all up to. I swore off it after last year (the bonus trail just wasn't fun relative to the main course, I'd be happier doing more loops of the main course), but now I may have to try it again...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Also, is it true that this is a private course? I was hoping to road trip out for a good climbing session - it's the closest place I know of with a solid 1000ft single track climb (I live in Lexington Park, MD if anybody knows of anything closer).
    2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 1x10
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS rigid
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid
    Southern Maryland Crew

mtbr member
    Yeah the course direction this year went clockwise instead of the other way around. The XXC still went up in the GWNF, but this year a section of the gravel road was replaced with a single track section (old horse trail). Once back to the start then you did two of the main course laps.

And yeah you're correct that Massanutten is private property. You will need a pass to ride there except on race week. Here's a link for how to obtain a pass. Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition

There are: however, a ton of trails out in the George Washington National Forest that will give you all the climbing you want. They are just west of I81 between Staunton and Harrisonburg so it's not very far from Massanutten.
    2010 GF HiFi Deluxe