My little friends

Is New Berg as rocky as Iceberg?

I am looking to incorporate New Berg/Viper in my Sandflats/Blue/Salamander/Skink loop. I have seen vids of Iceberg which show that it gets much rockier the farther in you are, (from Blue). To me, it seems that New Berg veers away from Iceberg before it hits those extreme sections; is that true?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    I am looking to incorporate New Berg/Viper in my Sandflats/Blue/Salamander/Skink loop. I have seen vids of Iceberg which show that it gets much rockier the farther in you are, (from Blue). To me, it seems that New Berg veers away from Iceberg before it hits those extreme sections; is that true?
    Love the lack of a location! Probably best to keep it that way; if people know, then they'll know.

Yes, Newberg (most seem to call it F2) is much less rocky than Iceberg. There are short sections that are similar, but over the whole length it is much more rideable. It is still very difficult, along the lines of Skink I'd say. F2 used to be my all-time favorite trail up there, before I went all endur-bro.

My little friends
    Cool! Thanks for the F2; off to watch shaky go-pro vids!

If you know, you know>

I am the owl
    The toughest part of F2 is Capital Hill, the very first part. People have cut a bypass around it, but unless it is rattlesnake season, you should take the original line. F2 is a lot easier overall. It has more elevation change than Iceberg, if you ride it from Iceberg to Viper it is more downhill than uphill.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

My little friends
    Hope to add some more rattlesnake pics to my collection; Thanks!

mtbr member
    F2 has become probably my favorite trail of the northern section. Along with a few tricky rock parts here and there, there's actually a lot of flowy stuff in the middle, it kind of has a bit of everything. Running it S-N (from top of Death March) is a bit more fun than N-S, but either way is good.

My little friends
    As soon as it dries out, I'll be all over it!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    As soon as it dries out, I'll be all over it!
    Rode it yesterday and aside from a couple spots where the snow sapped my momentum it's riding fine. Too much rock and contour in there for water to stay long... It's one of my go to trails when I think many others will be too wet to ride. Not saying it's never too wet, but to be honest I've never seen it that way.

In general the snow melt is going a lot better than I expected. I stuck to the rockiest stuff up there yesterday but was surprised when some spots I expected to be a mess were actually drying fine... Seems like the melt is happening slowly enough to allow the ground to keep up.