mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New 4.7mi trail at Meadowood open - your help still needed

Got the word from BLM's Doug Vinson today:

New 4.7-Mile Mountain Biking Trail Opens at Meadowood | Virginia Bicycling Federation

So there's a new 4.7mi loop open. They still need help fleshing out the system, both donations and volunteers to build trails. See the flyer at the above link.

Meadowood Special Recreation Area is near Lorton on the Mason Neck Peninsula, just across the river from Woodbridge.

mtbr member
    lol the South Branch Trail has been open to mountain bikes since late 2011...However, the park is expanding its mtb trails and there are NEWER flow/jump trails in the works at Meadowood that are in the process of being cut in as we speak.

Trail Prospector
    Doug has done a fantastic job on building this trail system, it drains well, has incredible flow to make speed your best friend / worst enemy.
    Both shoulders have already tasted bark there while leaning in on a few tight turns, think mini Allegrippis.

Must wonder though, if the cart is now ahead of the horse.
    Seems the priority is to spend $$ to build 3 miles of new tech trails, which already look, and will assuredly be great.
    Meanwhile, 2-3 miles of existing hiker-only trails see very little use, that ride really well, and could be opened to bikes.
    [Rode them before signs were installed, so had no idea they were OOB.]

IMO- If Mw is to become a go-to spot, it needs more overall mileage, which can be done for free by opening these existing connected trails. They also provide far better extracation routes in case of a mechanical, or injury. So please Doug, ask the powers that be if this is a possibility, as I feel strongly that it will draw more people to experience the only legal MTB trails on BLM land on the entire East coast.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    My apologies! In retrospect, I might have sent Matt a somewhat mixed/ possibly confusing message/news release thingy. The main points are: 1. the South Branch Loop Trail is open (yes, has been open for a while, though few still know about it) , 2. work is happening NOW on the NEW mountain bike optimized trails, 3. WE NEED YOUR HELP---VOLUNTEER---GIVE---SPREAD THE WORD

Thanks- Doug

mtbr member
    Oh, and Flying W (I know who you are C)

I've asked about opening up the other trails (I don't have authority to make that decision on my own). Management is open to the idea, but unwilling (at this point in time) to actually make a decision. Because other stakeholders (trail user groups) are involved we may actually have to have a public meeting.

Would you like to take the lead in doing something like petition signing or gathering support to show management that the existing off limits trails could and would better serve the public by making them multi use?

Trail Prospector
    Doug,
    Know you too, although last time we rode together all I ever saw through a dusty contrail was your backside.
    [^ Dude is fast & smooth, which is why these trails have such terrific flow.]

Yes I'd welcome an opportunity to meet with the powers that be, and if needed with the hikers & equines - before it goes to a public meeting.
    Have had past successes doing this, as my perspective applies to all user groups with a focus on safety, and extracation.
    Should be able to convey the importance of now expanding the existing trails to become multi-use,
    if not, I'll spearhead the traditional process to git 'r done.

Am excited for Mw's future, feel fortunate to live nearby, and wish to assist towards it's success. (sending PM)
    Best,
    CH
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any update on new Trail Work dates?

mtbr member
    The next trail work dates are 5/11, 18, and 25. Meet at 8:45-9AM at 10324 Belmont Blvd, Lorton VA 22079. Please register/sign up to help aid our planning. Thanks!
    Events | MORE-MTB

mtbr member

New 4.7mi trail at Meadowood open - your help still needed

I've been helping out with the MW trailbuilding project since November and can attest to all the good work that Doug, Russ and the other volunteers have been doing. The first trail has been coming along very nicely and I guarantee that it's going to put smiles on a lot of people's faces when it's all said and done- and then there will be more after that! Get on out one of these Saturdays and help us out- you won't regret it! Trailbuilding is fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PantslessWithWolves View Post
    I've been helping out with the MW trailbuilding project since November and can attest to all the good work that Doug, Russ and the other volunteers have been doing. The first trail has been coming along very nicely and I guarantee that it's going to put smiles on a lot of people's faces when it's all said and done- and then there will be more after that! Get on out one of these Saturdays and help us out- you won't regret it! Trailbuilding is fun!
    Thanks PWW! You are one of our most solid and dependable volunteers! To drive your point home, our community of regulars are fun people, trail building is fun, and we need all the help we can get!