mtbr member

Need new tires for Davis, WV

I was going to post in the tire and wheel section but I figured instead of trying to describe the terrain I would just ask those who would know best. I am riding a Spec. RockHopper 29er and the stock tires suck on the Davis trails. At least when they are a little wet and muddy. I doubt they would be much better even when it was dry. Not sure what is on there now, I'll have to go out and look but the tread is really small lugs, more of a packed dirt trail tire. Certainly not Davis material.

*** Went out and looked and the tires on the bike now are Specialized Fast Trak LK Sports.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=42207
    Last edited by Nubster; 08-31-2009 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I run Kenda Nevegals with Stans tubeless system. These work great for me all over Canaan's singletrack.

mtbr member
    Those look nice and chunky. They do good on the wet roots? That is where I am having the most issue. Perhaps nothing does well in that situation but as long as it does better than my current tires I would be happy.

song of the saw-whet owl
    nevegals and ignitors are the 2 best. also going tubeless lets you run lower pressure too which helps in the wet roots and rocks.
    just another piece of chaga

mtbr member
    I'll have to check into tubeless. I have never researched it before but I suppose it might be a good time to do that. Because of being a super clyde I have to keep my pressure up to keep from getting pinch flats. I'll have to see how tubeless works with us heavy weights.

And thanks for the tire recommendations. Trails were pretty wet Sunday and we were sliding all over the place making the climbs on Davis trail so it is time to get new rubber for sure.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ignitors are the only thing up there. On my second season of running these, not second season of same tire, Canaan rocks eat sidewalls. FYI, save money and hassle, you don't need tubeless ready tires to run tubeless setup.
    Can you hook that up to your car?.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whit022000
    FYI, save money and hassle, you don't need tubeless ready tires to run tubeless setup.
    Amen, I run standard Stick-E Nevegals tubeless with Stans on my trail bike and never have flats. I even run a tubeless setup on my SS using basic WTB Speed disc wheels, standard tires, and a Stans conversion kit - no flats

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by whit022000
    Maxxis Ignitors
    word
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Maxxis...

...ignitors all the way. Great all around 29 tire. They also seal up wonderfully with stans sealant.

song of the saw-whet owl
    Quote Originally Posted by joeywv
    ...ignitors all the way. Great all around 29 tire. They also seal up wonderfully with stans sealant.
    ditto.. trust this man...old school davis rider. btw, i had stans seal a 1/4" tear/hole before! (it was as the watershed in md, but some of the terrain is identical as davis/canaan)
    just another piece of chaga

mtbr member
    Cool. Sounds good. When I get my bike from the shop if they ever get my new derailleur in I will definitely be looking to get the new treads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joeywv

This is great to hear as I just went to tubeless ignitors on my Rockhopper Heading out to Valley Falls after work today to try them out.

Members who have read this thread: 0