Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need advice with buying a bike

670 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Armislt 
#1 ·
SO this guy is selling a 2008 giant reign x1 for 1400. I sent him another ad and it was posted for 1000. So he agreed to sell it for 1000.
Should I try to offer him even less (my budget was 600 for a bike)?

My trail is fountainhead.

Let me know your opinions

#2 ·
IMO I would offer him a little less bicyclebluebook.com says around for "like new" or "excellent" I would offer 850 remember you will have some maintenance costs due to it being full suspension and wear and tear of being a mountain bike.I'd take it for a good test ride to make sure you're not inheriting someone elses problems

#3 ·
Wow the website will be helpful, I guess they both would have to come down in price and I'd have to go and check the bike. When I'm checking, where should I look for frame cracks, and other things?

2010 gt force 3 - the guy said he's only ridden the bike twice, then asked if you can prove the purchase. then he said he bought is used already, so who knows how much it was ridden before him.
2008 reign x1 - the guy said the bike only has few scratches and that he only did like light XC...? Also, in the pictures, the handlebar is white, the rest of the bike is grey.

#4 ·
Check at all pivot point and anywhere on the bike where there are welds a quick search of google may yield any known problems with the bikes in question.I would cautious of anyone selling a used mtn bike that says it was only used for light XC remember these people want your money that you worked hard for be knowledgeable when you're looking at the bikes .I always assume i'm being lied to when looking for used parts remember you probably will never meet these people again so once they walk away thats it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.