mtbr member

moving to annapolis

i am going to be moving to annapolis very soon. where are some good places to ride near there? i am currently in montgomery county about 15 minutes from schaefer. i am sure i will still ride there from time to time, but i am also looking for some spots a little closer.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Patapsco State Park is your best bet. Go to the Park N Ride and explore.

mtbr member
    There's not much. I moved out of Annapolis 5 1/2 years ago. I miss it. I used to ride (poach) QuietWaters park. It was a nice short loop, but not legal for MTBs. I would only ride it on tuesdays when the park was closed.

Patapsco State Park (Avalon section), up by BWI is your best bet. 20 minutes to get there and lots of great single track. It's major drawback is that it takes forever to dry out. That's the only really good MTB spot withing 1.5 hours that I ever knew of.

there is also Arundel High School, which is a lot less technical and dries out faster. It's a little closer than Patapsco.

Look them up on the trail reviews here at MTBR.

mtbr member
    thanks for the responses.

i read somewhere a while back that there were a trail at annapolis hs. am i confusing it whit arrundle hs? are they two different schools?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    thanks for the responses.

i read somewhere a while back that there were a trail at annapolis hs. am i confusing it whit arrundle hs? are they two different schools?
    You'll need to look that one up. I think I recall there was one at Annapolis HS, but it wasn't much of anything, and may have been abandoned.

Seriously, the reviews here on MTBR are great and give good directions to trailheads. At Avalon (Patapsco), you'll want to get directions for the trail system. It can be a bit confusing with lots of intersections, and it's easy to get lost. I have no sense of direction, and I got myself lost a number of times. The maps they had at the gate house were not a whole lot of help, but they may have gotten better in the past few years.

BTW, you will have to pay to get in the park. I forget, but I think something like $2. It's worth it.

mtbr member
    i have heard good things about avalon. i will definatly check that one out.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad
    The maps they had at the gate house were not a whole lot of help, but they may have gotten better in the past few years.
    A few years ago they put out a really nice waterproof topo map. Find the one listed "Patapsco Valley State Park (4 Areas)". It's $3 well spent for anyone who wants to learn the trails out there. If the office is open you may be able to buy it there, but your best bet is to just order it here:
    http://www.easycart.net/MarylandDepa...il_Guides.html
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member

Annapolis High School

Annapolis HS off of Riva Rd. has a bit of trail behind it. There is a review in the MTBR Trail Review section. It is not bad at all, some steep, off camber rooty stuff. It's a loop behind the HS with a spur that goes over to the Anne Arundel County office buildings off of Harry Truman Prky. Maybe 5 miles total trail. Lots of hikers, runners after quitting time during the week.

Arundel HS in Gambrills also has about the same. It's been a while, but it was decent.

Also try Rosaryville State Park about 30-35 mins. away. All 3 places are in the Trail Review section. I'll second the map of Patapsco. Get the one that covers all sections.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I ride a quick, easy ride at Arundel HS trail pretty much every Wednesday morning before work. It's not bad, some decent hills, creeks and a few switchbacks. Nothing like Avalon or even Loch Raven. From Annapolis, take 97 north, exit 3 south. then 175 west. About 2 miles down you'll see the HS on the left. Turn in and go all the way back to the tennis courts. Behind there is where you get on the trail.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    thanks. i will give that a try this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Gamrills

Gambrill State forest is a great place to ride. It dries out fast and has every flavor of terrain. It is a a bit of a drive from Nap town. drop me an email, I live in Arnold and ride Patapsco on occasion and would love to get out to Gambrill. It'sbeen a long time. aesiegel@comcast.net

Members who have read this thread: 0