Because I am !

MOV Bike Fest (Parkersburg WV / Marietta OH area

(MOV) Mid-Ohio Valley Bike Fest - Oct. 10 and 11, 2009.

If you have ever wanted to check out some of the trails in the Wayne National Forest, Marietta Unit near New Matamoras, Ohio now is a good opportunity to get that guided tour of the area. Located just 10 minutes from St.Mary's, WV, and 25 minutes north of Parkersburg, WV or Marietta, Ohio, the Wayne National Forest, Marietta Unit has some awesome riding and has been the feature of the WVMBA Series Wayne Ultra XXC race for the last two years. For many of us who live in the Mid-Ohio Valley we cross the river often in both directions to ride the great trails here in the Mid-Ohio Valley. Check the link below for information on this event we plan to hold annually.

http://theopam.com/events/85-mid-ohio-valley-bike-fest

Hope to see you there.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey, this looks interesting, thanks for sharing ODN! Will there be camping available in Wayne National Forest?

This isn't too far from Morgantown to make the weekend trip.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by SAffer
    Will there be camping available in Wayne National Forest?
    Come on over, we'd be glad to have you. The RVMBA has reserved quite a few sites at the Leith Run Campground, the ones along the Ohio River. We have also reserved the shelter near those sites as well. The Fest centers at Leith Run Campground and there should be plenty of sites available even if we use up the ones we have reserved. I believe the fee we have to charge everyone is to cover all those fees and food. I'll even check with the prez and get back to everyone on that.

ODN

Living Life Behind Bars..
    hi there wea re water logged in Toronto so we are looking to get away for our thanksgiving this wknd what are the trails and conditions like at this venue ? Thx

Because I am !
    The trails have been dryer than usual this year. We have had some rain, though it seems to soak up quickly. We held our Take A Kid Mountian Biking Day this past Saturday after it rained all day Friday and into late Friday night. The trails were a wee bit tacky however by 10 a.m. when the event started the trails were awesome.

As of this moment, the weather is looking great, however it is only Tuesday. The riding in the Wayne can be challenging. Some climbs are tough but the trails are awesome. Check out this link for a few pictures of the Wayne.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...tos1/Wayne_NF/

From the Parkersburg, WV / Marietta, OH area you can ride many different rides at the Wayne, Marietta City Trails, Mountwood Park, North Bend State Park, Sells Park / Strouds Run near Athens, OH and Lake Hope near Athens as well.

ODN

hmmmmm
    This looks like a pretty cool event. I'm pretty excited about it!

Thanks for posting it.

Because I am !
    Note: the fee's take care of your camping and your meals listed on the o!pam site so come on down for a great time and some awesome riding. The riding and comradery will be awesome and the food great.

Just from our discussions last night, it appears we will have 3 or 4 different length mountian bike rides on Saturday. I'm sure it will depend on the turnout and abilities of those joining the event.

I know there is a 26 - 27 mile ride which will leave right from Leith Run Campground (The Venue) and I will be helping with a 17 - 18 mile ride which will include a short shuttle. There may be a long ride if enough show interest. Some of the guys in the RVMBA love those epic type 30+ to 40+ milers. I'm sure we can put together a shorter easier ride for the inexperienced riders who come along and we will have maps of the entire area for anyone who wants to tackle other trails.

I didn't discuss any of the Sunday rides last night, however they may be similar to Saturdays so people can switch up and do a different ride than they rode on Saturday or those just coming on Sunday will be able to enjoy what we did on Saturday. Discussions on Saturday night may even add other options. If I find out more about Sunday I'll post it.

There is about a mile long pretty flat trail right out of the campground along the river if there are those who would like to just put in a couple miles and with a shuttle there is about a 4 mile singletrack ride that will bring you right back to the campground where we can get you back to your vehicle after the rides. We'll do our best to have something for everyone.

We are hoping to make this a fun, annual event. If the turnout is good we will likely have this listed with WVMBA as one of the yearly Fun Rides. Come join the fun.

ODN

Because I am !

Leith Run Campground is the Venue

Leith Run is located right on State Rt. 7 right along the Ohio River, 18 miles north of Marietta, OH, just over 5 miles north of Newport, OH / St. Mary's, WV. It is located on the right going north. If you happen to be coming south on Rt. 7 it is about 5 miles south of New Matamoras, OH.

Sorry, forgot to put this in the last post.

ODN

Because I am !

Event will kick off early tomorrow.

Though the rides don't begin till Noon, there will be folks from RVMBA there early and should have everything set up by 9 a.m. The pavillion closest to the river is the one we have reserved along with 7 campsites (allowing 8 persons per site) also along the river. NOTE: the site closest to the pavillion we could not get - (I feel for those campers ).

Hope to see you all there. I'm the old fat guy with lots of grey in the beard

ODN

hmmmmm
    Saffer and I will see you in the morning!

hmmmmm
    Thanks RVMBA!

Saffer and I had an incredible time this weekend hanging with RVMBA crew. You folks made us feel welcome, showed us on some sweet, sweet singletrack and kept our bellies full for the whole weekend..

Lot's of riding, laughing, more riding and then a bit more laughing. Really well done event, in a really beautiful park. Waking up and seeing the mist on the Ohio river... Wow

You folks built some beautiful singletrack, thanks for sharing.

I had a blast!

and Thanks ODN for posting this up... It was great to meet you.

mtbr member
    I'm glad the wife and I went! Now I wish we would have gone Saturday too but Sunday was still fun. Thanks to the whole RVMBA crew! Nice work and hope to see you guys again soon on the trails.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Because I am !
    What an awesome time I had. It was great to meet several new people, especially AKA monkeyboy and Saffer. Great folks ! Can't wait to ride with them again.

terrible, sorry I missed you and the wife on Sunday. Work kept me from attending. Glad to see those membership forms from you all. That will put you, the wife, AKA and Saffer on the email list to keep you in the loop of things going on.

terrible, maybe I'll see you at the Wednesday night ride this evening, if the weather hold out.

Let's see if I can link the slideshow from my photobucket page. Well, couldn't get it to work so here is the link to the slideshow.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...view=slideshow

And a link to the album if you want some photos,
    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...MOVBikeFest09/

ODN

mtbr member
    Wondered what happend to you Sunday. As far as tonight goes, well I'd say it's a wash!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Because I am !

Bike Fest a great success !

Though the rain fell all day on Friday and into the early morning hours of Saturday morning, the trails were in great shape by the time the rides began. It was a bit cool however by within the first hour it was time to start peeling off layers as the sun peeked through the clouds. Registration was slow however we had a few good groups by ride time.

There were three scheduled rides to choose from on Saturday and another started late as a few folks arrived after the scheduled rides began. I chose the 17 - 18 mile ride that included a short shuttle and began on Sheets Run Rd. at the Ohio View Trail crossing. We left my truck at the bottom of Ohio View Trail where we would end our ride.

We rode out to the north on Ohio View Trail to the Ohio View Connector Trail that will take you over Archers Fork Loop. We rode the connector to where it crossed Co. Rd. 9. Here was our group on a climb of the first portion of the connector.

We then took a right on Co.Rd.9 for a short distance and turned onto Jackson Run Rd. to get to the top of Jackson Run Hill in about a mile.

At the top of Jackson Run Hill we rode onto the singletrack of Archers Fork Loop trail and rode down to a point where we hit the other end of the Ohio View Connector and rode back over to Co.Rd.9. Here is a shot on the Connector.

From here we went left and rode a short distance past Jackson Run Rd. to State Rt.260 and the upper end of the Ohio View Trail.

Watch Out ! Don't run over the camera man..

From Rt.260 we rode the entire length of the Ohio View Trail to its southern terminus and my awaiting truck. Here are a few pics along the way.

Look close, you can see some riders in the reflection.

Oh.... Lunch !

Then it was back to camp where RVMBA had some awesome food catered in. After our big meal everyone enjoyed a few beverages and comradery for several hours before turning in for the night.

I missed Sunday due to work, although comments and reports were as good as Saturdays were. It was a beautiful sunny day, there were several great rides and plenty to eat after the ride. The posts above say it better than I can.

Can't wait till next year.

PS: A little better write up....

ODN

Members who have read this thread: 0