Because I am !

Mountwood Park, Parkersburg WV, temp. closed to biking

Just in case anyone out there had planned to stop by and ride at Mountwood Park near
    Parkersburg WV between November 1st to December 31st, 2007 please continue
    reading.

The Park Board established some sort of controlled deer season with archery and muzzleloaders and closed all trails to hikers and bikers Monday through Saturday during
    this period. Note: Hikers and Bikers are permitted to use the trails on Sundays ONLY
    during this time period.

The River Valley Mountain Bike Associations is still working to keep their Wednesday
    evening group rides going, however no word at this time. They are suspended untill an
    agreement can be reached.

The signs actually stated "These Trails closed to Hikers and Bikers between Nov. 1st
    and Dec. 31st"........ We have at least obtained an OK from the Park President who
    states we will be able to use the Park trails on Sundays.

ODN for the RVMBA
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoornut
    Just in case anyone out there had planned to stop by and ride at Mountwood Park near
    Parkersburg WV between November 1st to December 31st, 2007 please continue
    reading.

The Park Board established some sort of controlled deer season with archery and muzzleloaders and closed all trails to hikers and bikers Monday through Saturday during
    this period. Note: Hikers and Bikers are permitted to use the trails on Sundays ONLY
    during this time period.

The River Valley Mountain Bike Associations is still working to keep their Wednesday
    evening group rides going, however no word at this time. They are suspended untill an
    agreement can be reached.

The signs actually stated "These Trails closed to Hikers and Bikers between Nov. 1st
    and Dec. 31st"........ We have at least obtained an OK from the Park President who
    states we will be able to use the Park trails on Sundays.

ODN for the RVMBA

Sorry to hear that, but hey, as I'm sure you know they only get a limited time of the yr to hunt. Again, look who I'm talking to.

Maybe now would be a good time to head out to WVU Forest and take care of dat dar Bar' problem they be having at Sandsprings Campground.

the unvarnished nonsense
    If I could ride every Sunday through Nov. & Dec. I'd be a happy camper. Maybe that glass is more full than you thought?

Wonder what the ranger would say if you showed up to hunt through the week (gun, camo, blaze orange, funny oranage thing you sit on to keep your butt warm,etc) but were going to access your hunting spot via bike?

Nevermind, its the pills, they make me like this...
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the update a buddy and I were planning on heading up there in a couple of weeks. Looks like it will be on a Sunday.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    If I could ride every Sunday through Nov. & Dec. I'd be a happy camper. Maybe that glass is more full than you thought?

Wonder what the ranger would say if you showed up to hunt through the week (gun, camo, blaze orange, funny oranage thing you sit on to keep your butt warm,etc) but were going to access your hunting spot via bike?

Nevermind, its the pills, they make me like this...
    Funny you mention that, some of us were talking about that very thing. They
    are only allowing bow&arrow and muzzleloader so we were talking about going to
    Wally World and find one of those little kids bows, pay the park their $15.00 fee,
    get their special little orange hat, tape it to our helmets, strap the bow to our backs
    and away we go. Yea, right...! . And to think, we were all sober at the time.

No seriously, we are happy now that they changed it to allow us to ride on Sundays.
    What got most of us was the fact they first advised NO hiking or riding through that
    time period. It took some upset folks to have that changed. They should be correcting
    the signs to that affect.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    No seriously, we are happy now that they changed it to allow us to ride on Sundays.
    What got most of us was the fact they first advised NO hiking or riding through that
    time period. It took some upset folks to have that changed. They should be correcting
    the signs to that affect.
    You know as well as I do that you can't hunt on sunday in WV anyhow. I think it's bull that we can't ride until dec!

What about night rides? You can only hunt from sun up to sun down anyhow, what harm would a few night rides do?

Members who have read this thread: 0