CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Mountain Biking in the Blue Ridge

Got a ride in last weekend with some of my NC buddies.

We started at the highest point on the BRP in Virginia on Apple Orchard Mountain. Cheatin’ for us cross country guys – we shuttled.

An obscure grassy old timbering road got us rolling down the mountain –rapidly.

After crossing and then riding on the Glenwood Horse trail, we descended further on another trail that follows Reed Creek for a good ways. It is part of a loop trail that goes up Terrapin Mountain and comes back down Reed Creek.

The other times I have been here this creek crossing was extremely high. We were able to cross Saturday without getting our feet wet.

After crossing Reed Creek the trail rolls for five or so miles along the lower slopes of Terrapin Mountain

I really like this piece of trail. More down than up and mostly all fun. It was a road once in a past life but it has transgressed into pure singletrack now. Rich soil, big trees and wet it reminds me a bit of West Virginia.

Out the bottom on down to a library near Sedalia where we parked. None of us had a computer but we were guessing about 10 miles and according to DeLorne 2900 feet of vertical. I have always ridden loops but cheating felt pretty good – at least versus a close to 3000 foot climb. We had enough energy left to squeeze in another Blue Ridge Ride.

The Ride - mappage
    Last edited by CraigCreekRider; 10-08-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Add map
    http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/CraigCreekRider
    Its Jake - From State Farm. What are you wearing?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Part 2

After the first shuttle ride, cheating was easier the second time around. We parked down on Pico Road and started at Bobletts Gap on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Although you end up a lot lower than you start, this trail rolls a lot and shuttling only buys you so much. We were just trying to get the most riding into a day that we could cause one of the guys had not ridden any of that area.

We were shortly onto the Mineshaft section of the Glenwood Horse trail, one of my favorites.

Just an occasional view.

Yes there are horses and the occasional “land mine” to dodge. This lady was nice and appreciative of us getting off our bikes. We have always had good relations with the horse folks in this areal and I hope it stays that way.

Lots of moss and beautiful singletrack – this time an old mining road.

An occasional tinge of color

Just a few remnants of the past mining history, although there are a lot of old iron mines in the area.

A cool rocky descent brings you to the Pico Road Horse trail parking lot near Buchanan.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Very nice.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Pico Road... isn't that in Buchanan? I want to go do these trails/roads at some point.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Doedrums. That is correct BikerJen. The parking lot is about 1/4 mile off of Rt 43 between Buchanan and the parkway. A good ride is combining this with Spec Mines as a figure 8 double loop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    CraigCreekRider,

I really enjoy your reports. I'm in Charlottesville and would love to tag along on a ride if you'd have me sometime. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ahh yes, thanks as always to ccr for showing off cool trails to lowlanders. A great day on some awesome singletrack. Ended the day at alejandro's with delicious burritos. A heck of a killer saturday. I look forward to doing it again. We are always ready to return the favor when the leaf litter is knee deep and the cold winds are blowing. Thanks again and see you soon.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by csmo View Post
    CraigCreekRider,

I really enjoy your reports. I'm in Charlottesville and would love to tag along on a ride if you'd have me sometime. Thanks.
    Sounds good - I think Doedrums wants to hook up for a ride out there sometime too.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    Thanks Doedrums. That is correct BikerJen. The parking lot is about 1/4 mile off of Rt 43 between Buchanan and the parkway. A good ride is combining this with Spec Mines as a figure 8 double loop.
    We actually rode Spec Mines and Mineshaft Sunday. It was longer than I remembered it. As a shuttle it was about 22 miles, so as a figure 8 double loop would probably be over 30 miles - a bit much for my taste. As a shuttle from the BRP it was about right for me. Surprisingly enough they have not closed the Pico Road parking lot - at least as of Sunday. Someone sawed out the few trees on Mineshaft - thanks! That trail is rolling great right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cool. Just about anywhere along the Blue Ridge down to Peaks of Otter suits me. The routes you've written about are all appealing.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    Sounds good - I think Doedrums wants to hook up for a ride out there sometime too.
    Why yes, yes I do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for this post CCR! It was certainly nice to finally meet you on the Group ride at Carvins a few weeks back also. I'm another NC rider, who loves riding up ya'lls way. Especially in this particular part of the mountains.
    I was riding the area awhile back and was climbing up to Bobbets gap going up the west side on the fire road/jeep trail. I noticed a trail to the left that shot staight up. Is this the beginning of Mineshaft? I started to explore it, but decided to stay my course due to a T-storm rolling in(good call on my part because I found shelter under the bridge there as the storm moved through). If this is Mineshaft, I hope to ride this section real soon.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    Thanks for this post CCR! It was certainly nice to finally meet you on the Group ride at Carvins a few weeks back also. I'm another NC rider, who loves riding up ya'lls way. Especially in this particular part of the mountains.
    I was riding the area awhile back and was climbing up to Bobbets gap going up the west side on the fire road/jeep trail. I noticed a trail to the left that shot staight up. Is this the beginning of Mineshaft? I started to explore it, but decided to stay my course due to a T-storm rolling in(good call on my part because I found shelter under the bridge there as the storm moved through). If this is Mineshaft, I hope to ride this section real soon.
    That is the trailhead. It is super easy to miss, no sign and barely marked. It starts as a super steep hike a bike for about 1/8 mile. After that it is all good.

Yea it was cool meeting you at the group ride the other day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks!
    It would be awesome to join up and ride sometime.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Last weekends ride. We parked at Harvey’s Knob overlook and rode Spec Mines and then the Glenwood Horse trail on out to Pico road – covering some of the same trail as the week before.

Some fall color had sneaked in

Right before I stalled out on a rock, luckily the camera did not catch that

Past Hammond Hollow on the horse trail, another trail for another day

Some double track cruising between Spec Mines and Mineshaft

Eventually the freeway becomes more difficult and towards the end becomes technical rough riding.

Up Chair Rock road and eventually onto the Mineshaft section of singletrack

Exploring some of the old iron mines

Onward

Sassafras

Back to town

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Awesome. I will be ready to head up there soon.