mtbr member
    Aug 2012

MoCo Epic: cue sheet/map and etc. advice please

Hi All,

I am going to be in DC next weekend and have Saturday free. I'd like to ride the 50 mile version of the MoCo epic. I have found two cue sheets and/or maps that appear to be similar/the same. I wonder if anyone from the area could who is familiar with the route would mind telling me which is the better cue sheet to go with. #1 below appears to be a route someone has designed that pre-dates the official event; #2 is the official cue sheet for the race.

Also, I don't know the terrain up there at all (I'm in Charlottesville) but from what I've read the route is not technical. I am trying to decide whether to go with my rigid drop bar bike (Rivendell Hunqapillar) or my FS (Salsa Spearfish). Just curious what I might expect on the route. I've got Maxxis 2.1x29 Crossmarks on the Rivendell. Done lots of gravel and some singletrack on it.

Thanks for any thoughts on the route. Sounds like fun.

Christian

MoCo Epic found on the MORE site at: Seneca Epic - MORE Forums

http://mocoepic.com/wp-content/uploa...sheet_2013.pdf

mtbr member
    I'd recommend posting on the MORE site and asking. Most of the epic guys are there and will definitely answer your first question.

The one thing that springs to mind is that I believe there is a section of the Seneca Greenway that is usually closed to bikes that they open for the official event. At least, that used to be the case. Don't know if they're still doing that. Might account for the difference.

As for what bike to ride, its not a super challenging course, but there is definitely lots of good singletrack. And there isn't much road left on the 50 miler these days. I know the event organizers get asked what they think of people riding it on a cross bike and they generally try to discourage people from doing it. I know a few people have tried it, and almost all of them regretted it. I'm not familiar with the Hunqapillar, but I personally would not want to ride the whole 50 miler on drop bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks. I'd like to post on MORE but I could not see a way to post without paying and joining. Sounds like a great organization, but living and riding as far as I do I don't think joining is something I'm interested in. Is there a way to post without joining? Perhaps it's obvious and I missed it.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    If you go the forum, you should be able to register without actually joining.

MORE Membership | MORE-MTB

EDIT: You're right, the old forum registration page just kicks you to the club joining page.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just heard back from MORE: when trying to register you can scroll down to the bottom and choose the free post only option. I missed it entirely. I've posted there. Thanks again.