Thread: MoCo Epic?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

MoCo Epic?

anyone doing this ride this year or do it last year? I have done several roadbike centuries but I think Im going to do the 35 mile ride to start. I dont know how much is singletrack and I have a hardtail. Part of me does want to do the 65 mile ride though.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    I'm signed up for the 65mi Been training regularly for it but it seems like its going to be a challenging ride. I came to full realization this weekend. I did 3 laps at Fountainhead, about 30mi total, 3100ft elevation change. It took me 4hrs and I was pretty tired. The MOCO 65 is a 5600ft elevation change over 65mi so it seems roughly equivalent to 5 or 6 laps at Fountainhead.

I rode the NOVA Epic 40mi back in June. That was 1700ft elevation change and a lot of it was on sidewalk and maintained gravel trails.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

psycho cyclo addict
    The majority of the 35 is single track (there is a ~2.5mi section on the C&O Canal tow path); you will have a lot of fun. Not super technical though there are plenty of obstacles to mess with along the way. The 65 goes through so of the more challenging sections Montgomery County has to offer with nice rooty/rockiness (Little Bennett and parts of the Seneca Trail are bone jarring; particularly on a rigid SS).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just started riding mtbs last year, and did the 100K version with only a few months of trail experience. I had so much fun I've already signed up for the same this year. If the weather is dry, it'll be a hoot!

Don't be scared off because of the elevation gain - there are only two significant climbs in the 100K route, and both were *on* the road. There was plenty of single-track to ride, but also plenty of road sections, just to connect you with all of the separate trail sections.

It's not a race, so take your time. There are plenty of rest stops to catch your breath and chat with your compatriots, and watch a hula dancer or two :-)

mtbr member
    If you have done several road centuries you should be fine on the 65. I did it Sunday, and the trails (except for LB) are in great shape.

mtbr member

MoCo Epic?

I'm considering doing this. Only been riding for a couple weeks, but I do 5Ks and Mud Runs pretty regularly.

My longest ride has been about 8-10 miles and that limit has only green due to time allowed before having to get to another commitment with the wife or kids.

I was thinking the 35mile would be a good start.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Trek Marlin (Black)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    [QUOTE=Hammie;10653183]I'm considering doing this. Only been riding for a couple weeks, but I do 5Ks and Mud Runs pretty regularly.

My longest ride has been about 8-10 miles and that limit has only green due to time allowed before having to get to another commitment with the wife or kids.

Thoughts?

I think you can do it but you probably need a 20-25 mile ride between now and then. you are in shape but your legs need to be in biking shape. you also need to make sure your butt can be on the saddle and that your body can be in that position for 4-5 hours.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
    I'm considering doing this. Only been riding for a couple weeks, but I do 5Ks and Mud Runs pretty regularly.

Thoughts?

Although your cardio is likely pretty good, bike shape is a pretty specific type of fitness. Your legs have to have time to adapt.

I did the 35er last year. Was awesome! I bet you could do it right now, but you'd likely be quite miserable after mile 20 or so. That's no fun.

I think the 35er would be fun for you, if u begin putting in miles now. Do a 25 mile ride once a week, along with a few fast 10+ milers, and I'd think the 35er will be challenging yet fun for you.

I'm a muscular 220# and found it very important to take FULL advantage of the Epic's awesome rest stops. You burn a TON of calories, so eat drink and be merry at each stop.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member

MoCo Epic?

Won't be doing this since I broke my wrist on Friday at Gambrill. :-(

Was going a little too fast down the black trail and OTB'd when my front wheel stopped and I didn't. I have surgery in the am.

2013 Trek Marlin (Black)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm in for the 50...a roadie with thousands of miles in this year, but only a few XC rides. I'm sure the legs are good, but I'm a bit worried about upper body. Glad to hear it's not too technical, but I'm still not fool enough to bring the SS hardtail first time out...full squish & gears please!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It is gonna be a sloppy mess with all the rain we had yesterday! I am very bummed out - I cant make it this year after looking forward to it for months.

mtbr member
    Its been postponed until next weekend, Oct 19 & 20.

This is the email my gf and I got;

-------------------------------------------------

Good day MoCo Epic riders, volunteers, sponsors and exhibitors:

I am just returning from checking several trail systems that are part of the Epic, including Schaeffer, Hoyles Mill, Little Bennett, the Seneca Greenway and Muddy Branch and after talking with the entire MoCo Epic team, MORE, IMBA, Montgomery Parks, as well as park managers, we have taken the decision to postpone the event until next weekend (Oct 19 and 20).

While the trails seemed to in fact be holding up pretty well (a tribute to MORE and all the volunteers who have spent so much time building them the right way), the main reasons for the postponement are as follows:

- The forecast is for more rain, some of it heavy, right into Sunday.

- While many trail sections will likely be holding up well, it is also pretty obvious that there will be other sections that will not do so well.

- The original idea behind the Epic is to help raise money to help build and maintain trails, not risk destroying them. Putting 1,000 riders on wet and muddy trails is not a reasonable proposition for an organization which prides itself on promoting responsible riding.

- Safety was also an obvious concern. It's not just the trails that are wet, but also bridges, logs, etc. 65 miles in such slippery conditions is simply not a good idea.

- This wasn’t on the top of the list as the event is built as an "epic", but it simply didn't look like it would be a very fun weekend! And we'd rather you have fun!

Please know that this was a very difficult decision that we did not take lightly. We realize it is a huge inconvenience for many of you. We cannot promise that every single aid station sponsor and every single festival vendor or exhibitor will be able to make it next weekend, but we certainly will do our best to try and make it as good an event as can be.

PS: as you can imagine, this morning we have been flooded (no pun intended...) with phone calls, messages and emails and it will take us a while to respond to each and every one of you, but we are determined to do so. Your patience is appreciated.

Thank you very much for your understanding, and hopefully we will see you next weekend for 2 great days of fun mountain biking!

See you next weekend!

Denis Chazelle
    On behalf of the entire MoCo Epic Team
    MoCo Epic 2013
    Register: http://bikereg.com/moco-epic
    Like us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/mocoepic
    Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mocoepic

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm doing the Best buddies century ride Saturday the 19th....I have to see if my balls are big enough to do 35 miles the next day so I can do the epic!

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    I'm gonna do this. Pump track both days or just sat?

I may come down sat for pt and trials, and again sun for the epic

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Over a thousand views. 13 replies. Are people posting elsewhere about this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I ended up doing 50. what a blast! I have only done a few MB rides but I did a practice 20 on thursday to get a feel for it. I will definitely do the 65 next year

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

MoCo Epic?

Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I ended up doing 50. what a blast! I have only done a few MB rides but I did a practice 20 on thursday to get a feel for it. I will definitely do the 65 next year
    I think the 50 route is more fun than the 65. I signed up for the 65 again this year, but was telling myself all along and even most of this morning....the hell with it, I'm doing the 50. Felt great at the decision point at 40 miles in and changed plans...at about 55 miles in, I fell apart physically. At least it felt like that. And for what? Nothing. The SRT, which is on the 50 but not on the 65, is way more fun than anything on the 65 unique sections. So, my advice is this: if you want fun, do the 50. If you want to test yourself a bit more, do the 65. If i do it again next year, I'll just sign up for the 50, enjoy more of the ride, and feel pretty damn good afterward.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Much to my chagrin, I didn't do the Epic this year...but I ride the SRT weekly and can vouch for how much fun it is. I sat at my house doing yard work all day and watching everyone ride by (my yard backs to the trail that connects Seneca to Sioux lane)...it was an agonizing yard work experience. Maybe next year.

mtbr member
    Ran the 65mi! 9:20 from start to finish. 7:15 actual riding time. 3900 calories according to Strava :P The last aid station with the hotdogs with bacon disks was a mood changer!

This is my first year running it. Is the post ride food/beer line always that disastrously long/slow?

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by SManZ View Post

This is my first year running it. Is the post ride food/beer line always that disastrously long/slow?
    Yes, it is utterly ricockulous. I can't understand it. Dumbest thing ever . . .

Was like that last year, as well. Nothing better than a bunch of exhausted, wet, stinky, dirty riders standing in a 150' stagnant line waiting hours for a beer and some chow while they listen to a band tune their instruments for a couple of hours as the sun goes down . . . GOOD TIMES!!

Amazing supported ride, but HORRIBLE after party. Somebody should be ashamed of themselves . . .

Volunteers should be serving plated food and a beer to seated riders (who are wearing identifying wrist bands).

There should be a seperate beer line for each type of beer served (so 3 or 4 lines - not just ONE).

The "afterparty" is kind of a sad scene . . .
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I rode the 100k on my fatbike, finishing in 7hrs 30sum minutes (moving time of 6hrs51min). It was a fun ride with great food stocked aid stations. It was pretty slick early in the morning, witnessed multiple riders go down on wooden features. All in all it was a pretty good ride, not difficult but definitely fun. Line for food kinda sucked, but oh well, I don't dwell on the little stuff.

psycho cyclo addict

MoCo Epic?

Had fun rigid single speeding the 65 (and sweeping the last ~40 miles). Definitely slippery on the bridges up North the first couple of hours. A few blokes had issues with the water crossings...

This poor fella had to be shredded by the end after full torso dunkage.

MoCo Epic 2013 water crossing gone bad on Vimeo

In the grand scheme of things it was an awesome event. Most agree that DFH screwed the pooch on food and beverage ops. That can easily be remedied and should not detract front the massive amount of effort it takes to pull this event off. Thanks to Ze Diesel, the MoCo team and all the volunteers.

If you want a full service ride where you are waited on, sign up for the annual Chris King Gourmet Century ride.

--eDub

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    @tehdually

Were you the guy that I hung with for a while around Little Bennett and the heinous road climbs afterward? If so, I was the guy on the singlespeed Niner with a Knard up front. You have legs of steel!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sure was! That pavement was killer for sure. Good riding with you! How was rest of the ride for you after the aid station?