Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MoCo Epic

mtbr member

MoCo Epic

Who's riding? What distance? I'm doing the 65-miler myself.

mtbr member
    I did the 110k last year, but decided I wanted to ride Seneca Ridge so I'm doing the 50 miler this year. Should be fun!

psycho cyclo addict
    I'm sweeping the 50 and hope to ride at least 35 more if time permits.

Helmetless Crasher
    Doing the 39er.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Will be my first mocoepic. Doing the 35 miler

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    I did the 110k last year, but decided I wanted to ride Seneca Ridge so I'm doing the 50 miler this year. Should be fun!
    The 65-miler doesn't ride the SRT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Nope. The 65 goes south from Clopper lake to the C&O. The 50 miler rides the Seneca Ridge back from Clopper to the start.

Map Bike Rides with Elevation Profiles, Analyze Cycling Performance, Train Better. Ride With GPS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    I know, I'm bummed about that too. SRT is one of my favorite trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I know, I'm bummed about that too. SRT is one of my favorite trails.
    Maybe I'll tack on bonus mileage, after the 65 take some roads to ride SRT back to Schaeffer just to catch some of that sweet flowy singletrack.

mtbr member
    Let me know how that works out for you. After 65 miles, I suspect I'll be doing well to get off my bike under my own power.

Bicycle Radical
    I am doing the 55km (35 miler). It will be interesting as I will be returning from Vancouver the day before however I have trained pretty hard so I am confident that I'll have the strength.

See you guys Sunday!
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

Helmetless Crasher
    35ers, how much and what food are you guys packing?

I'm thinking a bananna, protein bar, some energy gummies, and a PB&J.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    35ers, how much and what food are you guys packing?

I'm thinking a bananna, protein bar, some energy gummies, and a PB&J.
    I'm doing the 50 and I'm not bringing anything. The aid stations are well spaced and well stocked; its honestly one of the best-supported rides I've ever done.

Helmetless Crasher
    I'm doing the 50 and I'm not bringing anything. The aid stations are well spaced and well stocked; its honestly one of the best-supported rides I've ever done.
    That's awesome. I've never done a supported ride before. What kind of grub can we expect on this one?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Always bring a few bars as backup! My experience last year was a bit different. I did the 45 and two of the aid stations had run out of food after the 65-milers went through. They said earlier riders came through and filled their pockets (must have been good, whatever they had). Hopefully this year they'll ration a little better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    That's awesome. I've never done a supported ride before. What kind of grub can we expect on this one?
    In light of what Bmoreken said, I was through pretty early last year, so all the stations still had stuff. I swept the 50 the year before though and remember getting food at all the stations (and I was literally the last person through most of them).

Stations had everything from gummi bears to sandwiches to home-made brownies to grilled bacon and pineapple. And obviously normal cycling staples like cliff bars and various goos and such.

It can't hurt to bring extra food (especially if you have something specific you like to eat), but I don't think you need to bring a whole bunch.

Dinner for wolves
    In light of what Bmoreken said, I was through pretty early last year, so all the stations still had stuff. I swept the 50 the year before though and remember getting food at all the stations (and I was literally the last person through most of them).

Stations had everything from gummi bears to sandwiches to home-made brownies to grilled bacon and pineapple. And obviously normal cycling staples like cliff bars and various goos and such.

It can't hurt to bring extra food (especially if you have something specific you like to eat), but I don't think you need to bring a whole bunch.
    Uh, that sounds f-ing awesome! 800+ riders this year, I heard. That's a lot of brownies.

I am doing the 35 mile not-so Epic ride as my first taste of the MoCo. Looking forward to it.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    I'm bringing two cliff bars and a few Gu's as emergency rations, and gatorade powder for my single water bottle. The aid stations are fantastic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    The aid stations are fantastic.
    Seriously. I think last years epic was the first time I've done a nearly-70 mile MTB ride and gained weight while doing so.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Uh, that sounds f-ing awesome! 800+ riders this year, I heard. That's a lot of brownies.

I am doing the 35 mile not-so Epic ride as my first taste of the MoCo. Looking forward to it.
    It's actually closer to 40, which is "kinda" epic in my book. LOL.

800 riders IS epic!

Weather forecast is dry through Sunday, so the trails should be nice enough.

Should be a great time!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Doing the 50, did 25 last year. Great event and sounds to be even better this year. I wholly agree on no need for any nutrition. I'll probably just bring water, might skip my usual gatorade in the frame bottle since the aid stations were so stacked. I was hammering gummi bears and cookies like mad.

My problem is I can't decide if I should use my geared FS or the SS hardtail. The MORE guys at their tent at the jamboree said SS without question, which was my original intention. But that 50 mile number gets in my head. I'm worried I might be more comfortable in the long haul with the squish and low gears. I rode the FS last year on the 25. I'm sure I could SS it but there were a couple climbs and some mild roots that might get pretty old on a ride twice as long.

mtbr member
    I put gears on my SS for just that reason. You're right, full squish is overkill for Montgomery County. If I was strong enough, I'd ride SS, but I'm a wuss.

mtbr member
    I'll be riding my Mojo HD, same as last year. 160mm bike, totally necessary for MoCo.

mtbr member
    Anyone have elevation numbers for the 50 mile route?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon View Post
    Anyone have elevation numbers for the 50 mile route?
    Check out RidewithGPS. They have all four distances listed, with downloadable .GPXes and elevation profiles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast