mtbr member

MD Singlespeeder's... Help!

I'm a gear junkie who has just transformed an old Diamondback aluminum frame to a single speed. The gear ratio is 32- 18. Now I've done this the low budget way by using a Gusset kit to transform my old Mavic Crossrides to the single speed way. I have not even tried this ride on the the trails as of yet, but do you think this gear ratio is too hard for the up hills or is this about average? The cool thing is that the bike weighs in at 22 lbs. .

Any help for a Newb at single speeding is much appreciated!
    When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again...

Helter Skelter

mtbr member
    I'd say that ratio would be fine for most of the hills you'll encounter in places like Patapsco or Schaeffer, maybe even a little on the spinny side.

gray hair in my shammy
    Quote Originally Posted by upontwo
    I'm a gear junkie who has just transformed an old Diamondback aluminum frame to a single speed. The gear ratio is 32- 18. Now I've done this the low budget way by using a Gusset kit to transform my old Mavic Crossrides to the single speed way. I have not even tried this ride on the the trails as of yet, but do you think this gear ratio is too hard for the up hills or is this about average? The cool thing is that the bike weighs in at 22 lbs. .

Any help for a Newb at single speeding is much appreciated!

32x18 is fine for Avalon. I run that, actually 32x20, but I'm running 29 inch wheels. You may have to hoof it up some of the hills, but so what, its fun!
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

mtbr member

Try and See

Hey thanks for the replies. I'll just have to get out there with the thing to see how I like it. This is just a prelude to things to come if I like it or not, hence the low budget build. So if you see a guy cussing on a blue D-Back it will must likely be me .

Helter Skelter

Unit 91
    Rob you built up a SS and you didnt tell me. Thats awesome. Have fun with it in Avalon. Should be a blast. I have been wanting to do that also. But I am waiting until Feb. for the Bike Swap to find some cheap parts.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Yeah Ryan, It's a budget build from old parts. It does not have ridgid forks. I had a 2003 RockShox SID team laying around so I stuck it on. Just want to try the single speed thing out, but I LOVE suspension so it will be different.

Helter Skelter

Unit 91
    Yea same. Haha. Suspension is like a hand to me now. Haha. Try and get some pictures up of it.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    Yea same. Haha. Suspension is like a hand to me now. Haha. Try and get some pictures up of it.
    Yeah , it's funny because when I started MTB'n I had a Trek ZX 6500 w' rigid forks and center pull brakes...Ahhhh, those were the times.I'ts funny how you want to go back to your roots.

I have been doing more of Lewis and Clark lately. It will be weird doing it on a hardtail though.

As far as pictures, I'll try!? It's not pretty though.

See ya

Helter Skelter

Unit 91
    Haha. Yea. I was considering making a fully rigid SS from Soul Cycles because they have a frame/fork combo for cheap. But then I was thinking I might just look for stuff at the swap meet. I also kinda wanna make a track bike. But I think it would be cool to own 3 MTN Bikes. Haha.

Lewis & Clark is getting added on to like everytime I go up there. A lot of people know/ride on it now. Which is cool, but I liked it better when it was secret. It has to be one of the best stretches on fun stuff in the park though.

Ok, sounds good.

PM if you want to ride sometime.

See ya.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    Haha. Yea. I was considering making a fully rigid SS from Soul CyclesI also kinda wanna make a track bike. But I think it would be cool to own 3 MTN Bikes. Haha.

Lewis & Clark is getting added on to like everytime I go up there. A lot of people know/ride on it now. Which is cool, but I liked it better when it was secret. It has to be one of the best stretches on fun stuff in the park though.

PM if you want to ride sometime.

See ya.
    Yeah ,I will drop you a line and will get some rides in.

Ahhhh, so you want a fixed gear? That would be cool.

Lewis & Clark... AKA - The Devils Playground!

Helter Skelter

Unit 91
    Sweet.

Yes, Fixed gears are the new rage. Haha.

Mos def. the Devils Playground.

Cya.
    Bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0