Thread: MD area Rides

Knucklehead

MD area Rides

Been away from mountain bikes awhile and started riding again a few weeks ago. I have an outdated hardtail and although it gets me up and down just fine, I'm curious what other folks are riding in the MD/VA area as far as XC, AM, FR, rigid, single, etc. I'm located near Patapsco so that's where I'll spend most of my time riding. Eventually I'll be replacing my current ride so I'm starting the research now.

mtbr member
    I ride with a lightweight setup. Hardtail frame, front suspension, v-brakes, &
    1.95" tires. You mention outdated hardtail? hmmm, sounds just like my Tuesday ride group

Knucklehead
    Tuesdays what time?

I've a '99 rigid with a Judy fork (C or XC, not sure). The fork creaks like all hell. Trying to trouble shoot that now. I've had to replace a few things cause I'm hard on stuff but the bike is otherwise stock. Anyways, if we cross paths you'll know it's me cause it'll sound like my headtube is about to snap off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9911
    I ride with a lightweight setup. Hardtail frame, front suspension, v-brakes, &
    1.95" tires. You mention outdated hardtail? hmmm, sounds just like my Tuesday ride group

You forgot to mention those leg muscles made of steel and the lung capacity of the Goodyear blimp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Knucklehead,

Chris and those guys that ride on Tuesday afternoon are a great group. I wasn't able to hang with them as well as I would like, but hopefully after I get a bit more fit, I'll be there again.

Maybe I can form the Tuesday afternoon "Not so Fit" group ride. If I could get Chris to leave a trail of breadcrumbs, I might be able to find my way out of the woods.

Masher
    I ride with that group and it is great fun. I, and I'm sure everyone else, welcome you to come out. I'm on a Specialized Enduro SL that I love but we have a guy on a GF SS 29er hardtail that I struggle to keep up with so I can't really say what kind of bike you need on those trails.

Tuesdays at 430 is the usual meeting time but we are talking about putting together some weekend rides as we are coming in closer and closer to total darkness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well I have only riden with them once and my assessment of the trails is that it is sort of a roller coaster ride, I think it was pretty evenly split between downhills and climbs. Alot of the climbs are on the smaller side, but there are a couple pretty big ones. Those guys handle them without much trouble. There were no drops at all that I saw or experienced. There are some logs to go over around the beginning of the ride, but there was always a way around for those not into going over logs. I think we went through 2 minor streams. I am a total rookie, and I blasted through at least one of them. The trail itself is a pretty nice, and smooth, well used singletrack. There are some areas where you will encounter rocks and roots. Even as a rookie, I handled most of that without any real problems and I was on a pretty cheap Mongoose hardtail. My only real problem was not being fit enough to handle the climbs. The downhills were an absolute BLAST!!!!! So fast and smooth. We did come across a young deer which was a welcome sight. I think we did just a hair under 8 miles in two hours, and that was with taking alot of breaks waiting for me, and 15-30 mins for flat tire in the group. If you are a hardcore rider that can hang with these guys, I think some of them do a killer pace trek on the weekends.

Knucklehead
    Thanks all for the info.

I've been to the trails several times. Don't know my way around too well but have hit what I think is a fair amount of what is available. Technically I do fine. Just need to build up more edurance and power which will come with due saddle time.

For now, I'll continue to ride what I have. Eventually, I'll replace it with something with disks, maybe rigid, maybe full. That's what I need to figure out. As well as XC or AM??? Whatever that is anymore.

I do have to either deal with the creaking in my fork or find a 80mm replacement with v-brake posts/mounts. Or I suppose I could put disk on the front. (no frame/rear mounts).

Where does everyone meet on Tuesday's? Park and Ride/Rolling road?

Masher
    We meet at fields 7&8 which is accessed via Montomery Rd. We actually already have a thread going in the forum that probably has a lot of answers.

Weekday rides at Patpsco State park

Members who have read this thread: 0