Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Not a single one of them did the epic and there were a gaggle of 'em at the fall camping gig. Go Figure.
    There were several hundred people at the epic. I'm willing to bet some of XXL was there. Maybe they weren't flying their colors. But, as the previous poster said, even if none of them were there, that doesn't equal a boycott
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That was my weekend crew out for a spin on CJ, but I wasn't able to make it that day. Thanks for pointing out that extra loop. They said it added almost another 2 miles to the ride.

I am the sole MORE member of our crew and I have encouraged them to at least buy a membership for the sake of funding trail development and maintenance. They have been lukewarm on it mostly because they don't have any interest in the social aspect of a group like MORE.

Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I came upon 4riders up by Goya Dr. and stopped to chat. None of them were MORE members and one said he's been a lurker for a while. Main reason he stated for not joining MORE was that there seemed to be a lot of political BS and he didn't want to deal with it!

I encouraged them to consider joining now that IMBA is in the picture and they seemed positive about the new development.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcallahan View Post
    That was my weekend crew out for a spin on CJ, but I wasn't able to make it that day. Thanks for pointing out that extra loop. They said it added almost another 2 miles to the ride.

I am the sole MORE member of our crew and I have encouraged them to at least buy a membership for the sake of funding trail development and maintenance. They have been lukewarm on it mostly because they don't have any interest in the social aspect of a group like MORE.
    Cool beans... the extra loop is a lot of fun in either direction.

The MORE the Merrier

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They have been lukewarm on it mostly because they don't have any interest in the social aspect of a group like MORE.
    Maybe I have this incorrect, but I was under the impression MORE wasn't that interested in the social aspect anymore.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tables View Post
    Maybe I have this incorrect, but I was under the impression MORE wasn't that interested in the social aspect anymore.
    MORE is pretty much 50% advocacy, 50% social. Some people join for both, some people join primarily for advocating and building trails, others join primarily to ride with other MTBers.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    MORE is pretty much 50% advocacy, 50% social. Some people join for both, some people join primarily for advocating and building trails, others join primarily to ride with other MTBers.
    I don't know about that; MORE has been far less social the past few years than it was before that. I know I've tried sending several new riders there to meet folks and find rides, and the universal response has been "they had nothing going on".

another bozo on the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    I don't know about that; MORE has been far less social the past few years than it was before that. I know I've tried sending several new riders there to meet folks and find rides, and the universal response has been "they had nothing going on".
    I have always found MOREs social scene to a bit clique ish. I have found one or two folks over the years who have invited me on non- MORE rides, but as a whole always felt the outsider around there. At the events, I often reminisced of the high school years; sitting on the heater in the back of the lunch room with the punks, queers, industrial goofs and pretty much any other outcast you can think of, throwing tater tots at the squares. I always forgot to bring the tots to MORE events tho. Mental note: bring tater tots to next MORE event. All in all, they get alot of work done. So they are ok in my book.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't know...I haven't found MORE to be all that clique-ish, especially not to the point of high school. Of course people that know each other are more apt to talk to and hang out with each other but we all do that. And some folks would rather just ride with their buddies. I've met plenty of good people on "MORE rides", some of whom I ride with just on MORE sponsored rides and some that I ride with on the side.

In my opinion the problem concerning the social aspect of MORE comes down to people relying on MORE as an entity to set up rides and take care of all things social; I think that should fall to the members. If the social side of MORE is lacking I believe that is a failure on the part of the membership. Any MORE member can set up a ride and have it on the calendar. If it's an "official MORE ride" then you just have to do the waiver thing. It's not difficult, it just takes a time commitment. Or you can post up, unofficially, and see if anybody wants to ride, I recently did that and had a good Shed ride with a couple of folks.

...or you could just say screw it and have a Facebook ride club/clique.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    In my opinion the problem concerning the social aspect of MORE comes down to people relying on MORE as an entity to set up rides and take care of all things social; I think that should fall to the members. If the social side of MORE is lacking I believe that is a failure on the part of the membership. Any MORE member can set up a ride and have it on the calendar. If it's an "official MORE ride" then you just have to do the waiver thing. It's not difficult, it just takes a time commitment. Or you can post up, unofficially, and see if anybody wants to ride, I recently did that and had a good Shed ride with a couple of folks.
    You're half right; it is up to members to step up and lead rides, but it was much more of a focus in the past (pre-2008 or so). The club devoted more resources to it, pushed people to lead, promoted rides and basically made it a focus. As they've shifted to a more advocacy-focused organization, they've let that side of the club sink or swim on its own (and it has largely sunk). It doesn't help that, around the time they were making the switch, social media (Facebook, mainly) was taking off, so people had another venue for ride planning, and also that there were some personal conflicts that chased off several of their hyper-prolific ride leaders.

I never found MORE clique-ish, but most of my ride experience was well in the past. I still ride with a lot of the people I met through MORE, just through other venues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Does MORE or IMBA know the status on the trails at Loch Raven?
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3