mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Looking for some good trails at Patapsco

I'm headed to Patapsco on Sunday. I went once before, but didn't have a great ride. The trails I went on were near the I-195 park n ride and I didn't think they justified an hour drive. Can someone point me out to a challenging and fun trail and also where to park? THanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What kind of riding do you like? P'Co has a little bit of everything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB. View Post
    What kind of riding do you like? P'Co has a little bit of everything.
    Well I have a full suspension and have done trails as hard as slick rock in moab so I'm looking for some trails that would be challenging and make the most use out of a FS bike. Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If there are trails of that caliber in the park I am not aware of them. I do know that a lot of the trails have short sections of more challenging trail. Parts of the blue trail (cascade) are steep and rocky. If you're riding down Cascade from Landing Rd. look for a trail that branches off to the left, it's near a creek crossing. Make the climb and you'll eventually come to a 4-way intersection. Go left and enjoy.

There is Bull Run on the Balt Co side but it's kinda short. Riding down Valley View can be fast and fun but it's pretty smooth. There's a killer trail that branches off to the left of Ilchester Rocks trail which is challenging.

Waterbars is fast and fun, it's a section of the orange (Ridge) trail that runs from the intersection of Ridge/Morning Choice/Rockburn Loop straight down to the road.

The good stuff is scattered around the park. There are a good bit of hush-hush trails that I don't have the fortune of knowing about. Best thing I could say is to get a map at the visitors center and explore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks. Is there a place to park on landing road? I'll try that cascade trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes there are two places to park. If you're coming from Rt1, turn onto Montgomery Rd and then make a right onto Landing Rd (landmark is a church on the corner). After about 1/2 mile you'll see the first area. Cars will be parked on both sides of the rd. You could park here but the drop in for Cascade is a couple miles further down. I'd still stop in at Avalon and get a map so you can make a loop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Does cascade have a lot nearby? Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, Cascade runs through the Howard County side of the Avalon area. Lots of awesome trails there. Lots of unmarked trails over there that are stellar so you have to kinda explore. I'll be out on Sunday but it'll be a short ride otherwise I'd show you around a bit. Well, that and the fact that I'm slow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I park at rockburn park which has a lot of parking, and it is only few mins ride to Avalon.

mtbr member
    OP, in my experience, I have only enjoyed Patapsco when I have gone there with people who know their way around and know how to string together lots of the shorter trails for an interesting ride. There are some good fast sections, rocky and rooty sections and lots of logovers and stream crossings when you make the right combination. I did the same thing you did and parked at I-195 and ended up having a pretty lame experience. Once I know my way around it will be better. The Meetup group does a lot of rides there, although they haven't done their regular Saturday Patapsco ride in a while. They have been doing a "Patapsco Lite" version lately that I haven't checked out.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011

Not a complete Map but...

I've attached a small Map of what is available in the park. I have since rode at least two more trails that were more challenging on both the Howard County, and on the Baltimore County sides. Also, google "strava", which appears to be a much better representation of what is there. Finally, I just did a ride this past weekend with 14 other people, where it was organized via the "meetup" website. Look for the maryland/DC/VA mountain bike group (there are like 1500 people now), and there are rides all of the time at P'Co, Fairland, etc. It is muddy on the Howard County side right now though. Should dry up by this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for some good trails at Patapsco-patapsco-trails2.jpg  

Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here's a link to a good guide. It's a hiking guide, but you could ride it. This includes most of the trails I mentioned and I probably should have just posted this in the beginning lol.

Avalon Super Loop - Patapsco State Park | EveryTrail

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If you ride the CCBC entrance on the Baltimore county side there are some really fun rock garden like trails on the Santee branch, charcoal, and buzzards rock trails. These sections are some of the most fun and technical sections in the entire patapsco trail system. There are also two unmarked trails off of the buzzards rock parking lot that are pretty insane. One has a pretty intense jump line and the other has IMO the craziest and steepest descent in the entire park. The vineyard descent is also one of my favorites for speed and flow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will second that! I have never ridden the CCBC loop but have done buzzards and santee. Where exactly is the CCBC entrance? Do you have a link to a map? I'd like to be able to make a nice loop over on that side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Basically you go into CCBC and at the back of the campus there are tennis courts. The trail head is behind the tennis courts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Trek Demo 10-4 Saturday at Avalon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks! I'll see if I can make a nice loop over on that side without having to do the killer hills.