mtbr member

Longer trails in the MD area?

Patapsco (Avalon Area) has been my my go to spot a for a few years but its not a very long trail. Rosaryville is a 10ish mile loop which is where I'm heading this weekend to test out the new bike. Are there any longer trails in the area that aren't paved? Whether its single track or gravel or dirt doesn't matter, just looking for longer. Any suggestions?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Schaeffer Farm can get you around 12 miles or so, plus an additional ~6 miles on the Seneca Ridge Trail, plus several more miles on the Seneca Bluffs Trail. How long are you looking for?

another bozo on the bus
    I suggest venturing out of Avalon area and exploring other parts of the park. I have done 75ish mile loops in Patapsco which were mostly single and double track. Search this forum for "tour de Patapsco" and see what comes up.

mtbr member
    Was looking for something in the 30-40ish range, preferably without having to piece together too many random trails. An up and back trail would be great also.

Tour de Patapsco is def something I will look into. Will prob check out individual sections of the trail first so that it will hopefully lessen the chance of me getting lost if I attempt the entire thing. But I think taking on the full trip would wait until spring.

mtbr member
    You can easily do 20-25 miles at avalon without a lot of doubling back. I'd explore a little bit; that's one of the biggest trail systems around, at least in a single park.

mtbr member
    Avalon is only one area of the park. No way you can do 20-25. Glen Artney, Orange Grove, Hilton, etc are all different parts of the park that are connected. Look at the map. We did 22 there yesterday and rode all of Rockburn, Ridge trail, the little horsehoes off of Ridge, BikeBuster, CCBC, Cascade, Charcoal, Vineyards, Nun's... Once you head up north from the Hilltop Rd intersection, you start heading towards Oella/Ellicott City then you have to link up with the Mill Race up to Rte 40.

If you want more and better trail, you can head up to Gambrill and the Watershed in Fredneck. Ok, maybe not *better* trail but more and different with longer ups/downs.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    How long are the trails at Watershed? I've heard of it before but I can't seem to find a map of it online. Is it a state park?