mtbr member

Little creeper trail

I was thinking about riding the Virginia Little Creeper trail full length, out and back. It's about 3.5 hour drive from my house. Was planning on doing it on a Monday. Most reviews mention taking their family riding on it, being shuttled to the top of the hill and coasting down and how scenic it is. I would ride the trail on my CX bike and want to put in a good solid effort, but I don't want to look like a "TOOL" blazing by a bunch of kids and old people. So is this trail a trail for family fun or do serious cyclist ride it.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speed metal View Post
    I was thinking about riding the Virginia Little Creeper trail full length, out and back. It's about 3.5 hour drive from my house. Was planning on doing it on a Monday. Most reviews mention taking their family riding on it, being shuttled to the top of the hill and coasting down and how scenic it is. I would ride the trail on my CX bike and want to put in a good solid effort, but I don't want to look like a "TOOL" blazing by a bunch of kids and old people. So is this trail a trail for family fun or do serious cyclist ride it.
    You mean the Virginia Creeper Trail? Never heard the Little Creeper Trail.

You should be OK on a Monday. I would not try this on a weekend, too crowded on the Whitetop to Damascus end, and all going in one direction. This section is simply gorgeous. Just did it last Friday (did the shuttle with my wife). But keep in mind that even during the week there are people riding down, and mostly inexperienced, so don't expect them to know what they are doing.

Also, although it is a rails-to-trails it is pretty narrow in a few places. So really slow down when passing old folks and little kids.

The trail is about 33 miles, and has Whitetop on one end, Abington on the other, and Damascus in the middle. The section you read most about is between Whitetop and Damascus. 17 miles and 2000 feet elevation drop. Basically, you get shuttled from Damascus to Whitetop, and you don't need to pedal for the first 10 miles, the next 5 only occasionally to top off you speed, and then it is flat for the last two into Damascus. From Damascus To Abington is flat for a while, then a slight climb. It is also pretty, but not like the other section.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    LOL. Yeah, Creeper's little brother. I don't know how I come up with "little". I have a friend that has been there a few times. I guess he referred to it as "Little Creeper". Creeper trail is the one I mean. Thanks for the info.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.