mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Leesburg area riding

I'm going to be in Leesburg this weekend visiting family. Is there an area near there that's worth most of a morning? I'm fine with pretty much anything.

I am the owl
    Not much to ride in Leesburg proper. There is the Freedom Center which has a pump track and about 5 miles or so of singletrack. A local group has formed to work on trail access in the area, so you can check in with them at http://www.facebook.com/MTBLoCo

30 miles north is Gambrill State Park and the Frederick Watershed. Lots of good riding there, as long as you like rocks
    Leesburg, VA to Gambrill State Park - Google Maps

Fred Shed by sso, on Flickr
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Whoa, Gambrill looks awesome. I'll definitely check it out. Pretty easy to find one's way around? Or should I try to find a map online before heading out?

I am the owl
    Gambrill State Park has well marked and blazed trails. The yellow loop is the longest. It has a short cut and an extension, with the extension it is around 9 miles. You can tack on some more stuff to get a longer ride. A map will help you get the most out of it. The Frederick Watershed is not well marked at all (and there are no official maps), you'll need a local guide the first few times riding.

Just know that the blue trail (the Catoctin Trail) is NOT a loop, it is a linear trail starting in Gambrill and heading north into the Frederick Watershed and beyond. You can branch off of it and make a loop, but you need to know your way around, it isn't obvious. You could do that as an out and back to avoid getting lost.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

I am the owl
    2 more things:
    1. Riding the yellow loop in a figure 8 is the best way to do it IMO. I posted directions for that in this thread. Someone also posted a link to a map in that thread.
    2. Saturday is muzzleloader season in the Frederick Watershed, but there is no hunting in Gambrill, so best to stick to the Gambrill trails.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    In the opposite direction, there is Fountainhead Park. Similar amount of trail, not quite as technical, but easier to get around (several stacked loops, bike only, uni-directional).

Area Map

Trail Map*

* The trail has been undergoing major updates the last two years, so the map might not be exact. But, the general layout and length is right enough.