CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Leaves - I love em, then I hate em

In case you are not tired of looking at leaf color yet, here is a cross-thread; fall color Passion Post
    Yet another Fall Color Passion Post
    This kind of stuff

In a slightly related (leaf) matter. Had my first crash since February last night. Now I remember why I hate riding in fresh leaves. Wish they would stay up on the trees where they belong.

I was riding from left to right on this stretch of trail.

You cross the ravine and have to hit it kind of hard to make the short climb and half berm. As I was pouring on a little gas to make it through the curve, an unseen rock kicked out under my front tire. Front tire kicked out from under rider. Rider and bike start true cross country ride off the trail down the hill. I came half unclipped before hitting my palm and elbow in the dirt and rocks below the trail. Cruising right along one second, face down trying to survey for broken bones and blood lost the next second. Somehow I didnít get a scratch on me. I did manage to lose some style points as I was trying to show my nephew how us old guys do it. Yea, This is how we do it

I like Monkeys
    Yep, this is the time of year when I hate leaves on so many levels. But especially the yard and the trails. Worst ever, Clown Head (Hemlock Tunnel?) with what seemed like a foot of leaves on the tough section. Hard enough in good conditions, really tough when you can't see the trail.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    I did Rosaryville last weekend and almost went off the trail into the woods a few times. Its hard to tell were the damn trail is sometimes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    yup everything is buried in leaves, the Cove was buried in leaves tonight as well...

I still need to get a rake up to clownhead....

spooge is gone!
    My son and I are started building a 1 mile loop in the woods behind our house. Started 2 weeks ago but since the rain, all the leaves dropped and hard to see our work now. Prob. start back up next week.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

I'm just messing with you
    It was slick as snot on a doorknob here last night, doing unintentional 2 wheel drifts around corners. Leaves on mud are worse than ice.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what trail is that CCR?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I'm thinkin mill mountain.... I could be wrong, but I think I know that rock retaining wall

Dead Car Trail... I think... I don't know the new name...

Smarter Than He Looks
    Yeah, and at night it's really hard to tell the trail from the 'not trail.'

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Wood Thrush Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    what trail is that CCR?
    Thats Wood Thrush Trail on Mill Mountain. Its on the Garden City side of the mountain. Probably the easiest trail there, but like the rest of those trails there is a fair amount of loose rock. Slow learner here, I rode Thursday and Friday evenings over there too. Trying to milk the last of daylights saving time. Now true night riding begins.......

mtbr member
    The Pink Blazed trail is Riser... The one with the rock retaining wall is Wood Thrush....

Riser tends to collect alot of leaves!!! I guess it's just the slope, but we cleared that one one day and two days later it was buried again! The tricky thing about some of the MM trails is the rock gardens that are on some of them. Monument literally scares me in places when the leaves are down.

RE: Woodthrush - easy - yea, going from the top down. Not so much on the way up. It's not quite as steep as Monument, but it is a longer climb.

Gravity addict
    last year (oct 27) went to ride mud pond gap, well I ignored the leaves and pine needles that was nice and wet that had just recently fallen and ripped down the trail. I hit one of the water bars at about 35mph and just sent it 20 or so feet. Needless to say my avatar is what the end result of that day was. I learned really hard to use better judgment on how to ride when the conditions suck lol...so now $40,000 later and almost a year off from work and getting back into the groove of working and riding dh and freeride again...luckily my wife didnt kill me. And my employer just loves the fact that I'm back on the bike again (not really) but its what I love to do.
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzafreerider
    last year (oct 27) went to ride mud pond gap, well I ignored the leaves and pine needles that was nice and wet that had just recently fallen and ripped down the trail. I hit one of the water bars at about 35mph and just sent it 20 or so feet. Needless to say my avatar is what the end result of that day was. I learned really hard to use better judgment on how to ride when the conditions suck lol...so now $40,000 later and almost a year off from work and getting back into the groove of working and riding dh and freeride again...luckily my wife didnt kill me. And my employer just loves the fact that I'm back on the bike again (not really) but its what I love to do.
    ouch, be careful out there folks, remember riding the next day is always better!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I hope you recover from all that Yakuzafreerider. Sounds painful.
    Just doing my crash tally for the year.
    On the steepest part of Monument trail in February. Hit a frozen patch of leaves that delaminated under my wheel and sent me into the bank, lucky it was on the uphill side - no harm done.

Second one I had forgot about, a perfect endo on some un-expected steps on Ferrier Trail in the Jefferson National Forest. Not a scratch.

Then this one on Wood Thrush last week.
    I think I have used up all my good Karma.
    Probably fall off my seat at work and break something.

I'm just messing with you
    Good to hear I'm not the only person having a great time fighting the leaves this year. I was riding trail A today, trying to figure out what's trail and what's not,.and all at once realized I was on trail B. I'm not sure how I hooked the two together, I even back tracked and couldn't figure out how I did it..
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Because I am !
    Our Wednesday evening ride last week was interesting to say the least. Several riders, out of our group of 10 I think, ended up on the ground a couple times. It was a bit damp from previous rains but the leaves make it much slicker not to mention hiding all those slick roots and rocks. And that increased as it got dark and the lights had to come on.

I'm sure tomorrow evenings, now night ride, will be interesting as well. Gotta love it ! Trails I've ridden all year change in a flash and become new again with the leaves and darkness.

Ride carefull out there everyone, especially you CCR, you ride safe and have fun my friend. Hope to ride with you again soon.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

Members who have read this thread: 0