beautiful jackass

To the jerks yesterday at Patapsco who kicked us while we were down

This is just to vent because it pissed me off pretty bad.

I got a pinch flat yesterday at Patapsco. My friend and I were just out dicking around and having fun with some of the downhill sections - he was on his V-10 and I was on my Preston.

When I got the flat we were about 15 minutes from Landing Rd where we were parked so I decided to walk it rather than take 20 minutes to patch a tube and opted instead to do it at home. Naturally my friend walked with me.

A group of four spandex-clad cross country riders came up behind us - three guys and one woman.

We heard them pedaling behind us and at about 10 yards back I hear the first comment spoken in a very disdainful way: "...not even pedaling on the flats."

At first I wasn't sure if they were talking to us or if I was just hearing the tail end of their conversation but they kept talking smack about us as they passed. There were another couple comments - all along the lines of us being on big bikes and not pedaling.

I replied, "I've got a flat"

The woman responded: "Should have brought your tools"

So not only did you chastise me for not having tools (I had a patch kit and my friend had a pump), but you didn't even offer to help. You didn't even bother to ask if I could use the tools you thought we were missing. Any time I pass someone who isn't riding their bike on a trail I always ask if they're okay or if they need help. I would have done this for you.

I hope at least one of you reads these forums and I hope at least one of you felt some remorse for the childish way you acted. My pinch flat didn't ruin the ride but you sure did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Don't allow the shallow comments from one person ruin your day. Remember, things could be worse, you could be them.

~Rudster~

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey

I got a pinch flat yesterday at Patapsco. My friend and I were just out dicking around and having fun with some of the downhill sections - he was on his V-10 and I was on my Preston.

When I got the flat we were about 15 minutes from Landing Rd where we were parked so I decided to walk it rather than take 20 minutes to patch a tube and opted instead to do it at home. Naturally my friend walked with me.

A group of four spandex-clad cross country riders came up behind us - three guys and one woman.

We heard them pedaling behind us and at about 10 yards back I hear the first comment spoken in a very disdainful way: "...not even pedaling on the flats."

At first I wasn't sure if they were talking to us or if I was just hearing the tail end of their conversation but they kept talking smack about us as they passed. There were another couple comments - all along the lines of us being on big bikes and not pedaling.

So not only did you chastise me for not having tools (I had a patch kit and my friend had a pump), but you didn't even offer to help. You didn't even bother to ask if I could use the tools you thought we were missing. Any time I pass someone who isn't riding their bike on a trail I always ask if they're okay or if they need help. I would have done this for you.

I hope at least one of you reads these forums and I hope at least one of you felt some remorse for the childish way you acted. My pinch flat didn't ruin the ride but you sure did.
    Yeah, A-holes are everywhere. Totally unacceptable that they did no task if you needed something, at least in my book. The first comment could have been a well-intentioned ribbing, but everything after that is just bad a-hole behavior.

However, I say that because of the way they acted, not the way they dress or what they ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm familiar with the group, it's normal behavior for them. They ride the park like they own it and are the only ones out there.

mtbr member
    Should have stuck a stick into their spokes, then as they lay there writhing in pain say something to the effect "not even riding on the flats".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Should have stuck a stick into their spokes, then as they lay there writhing in pain say something to the effect "not even riding on the flats".
    Yeah, that would be constructive...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sticks and Stones may Break my Bones but Words will Never Hurt Me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    a took out move would have been EPIC, totally wrong, but still at the time . . . very tempting.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    Sticks and Stones may Break my Bones but Words will Never Hurt Me
    but, this is MTBR...you're forgetting that we're supposed to freak the eff out if someone doesn't say hi to us. words are the most powerful weapon, and have the ability to make or break the average MTBR user's ride.

plus, what the hell good would it have done if these xc riders didn't have a tire tool either?
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    That truly does stink....I wear spandex from time to time...I wear baggies and have flats from time to time...but I ALWAYS, ask anybody stopped or walking if everything is okay...cant tell ya how many times I have given away parts and tools...thats what it is all about brothers and sisters...that really is so bad that there are folks out there riding and representing MTBing that way...hope to god the next time Im having problems someone wont treat me that way...or god forbid the beginner out there gets a taste of that, it may sour them from riding, that would be a shame!

Masher
    Don't worry, next time I wear my spandex I'll give myself a good talking to.

Was the girl on a superfly by any chance?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to hear that but not really suprised. Took me some time to become accustomed to the "culture" in the area. I'd say most 95% of people out there are cool though.

You serious Clark?
    She was just trying to distract you from confronting her on the "Maryland- no women on bikes" law.
    She could have been facing jail time.
    I am illiterate in 3 languages. Confucius say "wiser to eat spider web than riding tailwind of bean eater"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvblackbear
    She was just trying to distract you from confronting her on the "Maryland- no women on bikes" law.
    She could have been facing jail time.
    heehee. Now that is funny.

I am the owl
    Why would you care what some unknown people think of you? If that really pissed you off enough to start a thread about it, maybe you need to reset your head or grow thicker skin. Idiots are everywhere, either ignore them or work on your witty retorts.

BTW, carry a spare tube and patch the dead one when you get home, you'll be back up and running much quicker. Walking sucks, riding is much better.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    BTW, carry a spare tube and patch the dead one when you get home, you'll be back up and running much quicker. Walking sucks, riding is much better.
    I think you missed the point on that one. Point is he was close enough to just walk.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I think you missed the point on that one. Point is he was close enough to just walk.
    Actually I didn't miss the point. Pushing my bike 15 minutes vs. fixing a flat is not what I consider close enough to walk, but to each their own. And my point was, he seemed to be indicating his method of fixing the flat on the trail was to patch it. It's always easier and faster to stuff a good tube in and do the patch job at home, I was just offering up some unsolicited advice.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    It's always easier and faster to stuff a good tube in and do the patch job at home,
    Agreed

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It is a lot quicker to:
    1. Not care what others say
    2. Not care what others do or don't do, especially if it DOESN'T CHANGE YOUR COURSE OF ACTION
    3. Not get your panties in a moist little wad all the way home and ***** about it on the internet and then
    4. Come back to stir the pot/defend your *****ing.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I once heard "hey nice seat" while a buddy was pushing his bike up a hill. I thought what a nice thing to say.... till I figured out what they were really trying to say. This was at Patapsco also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You should have just told them to f@#k off and then posted about the ensuing fight afterwards. That would have been much more entertaining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by God of Everything
    You should have just told them to f@#k off and then posted about the ensuing fight afterwards. That would have been much more entertaining.
    But only if there were pictures and/or video to go along with the story. Some nice helmet cam action would be perfect.

Bicycle rider
    Donkey, I understand why you are venting so thanks for sharing with us. It sucks that it only takes 1% of all riders to be jerks to ruin the fun for most. BTW – I also wear spandex from time to time and I am pretty sure it doesn’t make me an automatic a-hole… but who knows. I would say just forget those haters and go have some fun on the trails.
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    I agree they should have offered up an extra tube. It seems like one of the unwritten law of biking Some people are punks and unfortunately you ran into people acting as if they were back in middle school

mtbr member
    What classy folks they were (TIC). I wouldn't sweat it. Chances are if you ride there enough and they do as well; you will have the chance to repay the favor. Karma can be a 8itch.

she keep you buying rats
    I used to live down there, moved away 10 years ago. I don't miss those kind of jerks.

Nostralpicas
    YOU should have asked for her # you never know you could have been pushing something else later that night
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tic tac
    YOU should have asked for her # you never know you could have been pushing something else later that night
    Oh snap!

There have been a few cute ladies spotted on the trails lately

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by tic tac
    Ha ha ha. I about pissed myself laughing when I read this!
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

another bozo on the bus

mtbr member
    DH is ghey, and DH'ers a phags

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    DH is ghey, and DH'ers a phags

It's kind of like comparing figure skaters (MTBer's).... to hockey players (DHer's).....

mtbr member
    I have had a few snide remarks thrown my way in Patapsco as well, and yes, they are ALWAYS from XC spandex clad *******s. The DH guys and the rest of the mtbing public are usually always nice. The funny thing is that when you try to start **** back with them they never confront you. Some weight weenie, heart monitor wearing, 150 lb. soaking wet dude built like a twig can only do that though: talk. Sorry, I'm built like a linebacker, not a ****ing Kenyan. But I'll muscle up those climbs and tear down the DH sections just as fast as you.

To be fair - I have met some incredibly nice people in patapsco, (like the dude who gave me a tube and saved my ride after I blew both tubes out going off Vineyard into rocks 5 min. into my ride) some of which are XC guys, so it truly is just a few *******s giving that group a bad name.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mudforlunch
    heart monitor wearing, 150 lb. soaking wet dude
    Wow, sounds exactly like me The part about giving tubes to a person in need also sounds like me.

mtbr member
    Mudforlunch, glad I could help...and hey I swing both ways, spanggies I call it...

gray hair in my shammy
    I've been reading this thread with amusement, and I got to tell ya, 99% of the riders I come across in Patapsco are nice and willing to help if you need it, no matter what kind of bike you're riding.
    I've gotten most of the smart ass remarks directed my way when I cross from one side of the park to the other and have to pass walkers and the folks riding the paved paths. The best one is, "Nice Spandex", (Yes, I'm a spandex wearing XC'er, 150 lbs soaking wet, but not built like a twig. I'm more of a sapling. I wear spandex because baggies catch on my seat, and I find spandex enhances the appearance of my package.) I got the "nice Spandex" remark from a hillbilly looking guy on a huffy with a Bud can taped to the handlebars. My reply was I was a heterosexual, and not interested, and I'm sure if He kept looking, He would find his "special guy".

If you spend enough time in any public park, you'll bound to get some Ahole making a remark to ya. The secret is to have a quick comeback.

Examples:

Smart Ass XC guy: "Not even pedaling on the flats?

You: "It won't start" or "I've ridden all the flats already" or "Your mother tired me out"

Smart Ass XC Chick: "Should have brought your tools"

You: "I lent them to Macgyver" or "You guys drove yourselves here" or "Thanks Mom" (Girls hate this, so I would run)

My Mom always told me, "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all, unless some jackass makes fun of your shorts, then tell him to F himself".

I love my Mom
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    \Sorry, I'm built like a linebacker, not a ****ing Kenyan. But I'll muscle up those climbs and tear down the DH sections just as fast as you.
    Translation: I'm a fat f<i></i>uck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have had a few snide remarks thrown my way in Patapsco as well, and yes, they are ALWAYS from XC spandex clad *******s. The DH guys and the rest of the mtbing public are usually always nice. The funny thing is that when you try to start **** back with them they never confront you. Some weight weenie, heart monitor wearing, 150 lb. soaking wet dude built like a twig can only do that though: talk. Sorry, I'm built like a linebacker, not a ****ing Kenyan. But I'll muscle up those climbs and tear down the DH sections just as fast as you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OK, they shouldn't have been rude; and you should ride with a spare tube.

End of controversy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have one to add to the mix. During a winter ride at Patapsco few years ago, I was having trouble with the creek crossings because my bike had V brakes and it was very cold that day (high 20's). We came to one creek crossing that was pretty deep and I was getting tired of my rims freezing and the brakes not working for 10 minutes afterwards. I was not alone as one of my friends was also using V brakes and was experiencing the same. We stopped and looked at our walking options. A girl riding in our group (that we did not know at all) was like "Get out of the way p*&&#^s". Then, splash, she fell into the 28 degree water. HA HA! It was sweet, especially when she took here shoes off and the water poured out. Lucky for her, she lived 15 minutes away. Perhaps it was the same woman???? I experienced instant Karma that day.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bashturd
    a hillbilly looking guy on a huffy with a Bud can taped to the handlebars.
    Probably bought the bike at Wal-MArt where he enjoyed his other beer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    I have one to add to the mix. During a winter ride at Patapsco few years ago, I was having trouble with the creek crossings because my bike had V brakes and it was very cold that day (high 20's). We came to one creek crossing that was pretty deep and I was getting tired of my rims freezing and the brakes not working for 10 minutes afterwards. I was not alone as one of my friends was also using V brakes and was experiencing the same. We stopped and looked at our walking options. A girl riding in our group (that we did not know at all) was like "Get out of the way p*&&#^s". Then, splash, she fell into the 28 degree water. HA HA! It was sweet, especially when she took here shoes off and the water poured out. Lucky for her, she lived 15 minutes away. Perhaps it was the same woman???? I experienced instant Karma that day.

Great Story! Sounds like she had something to prove. Also proves why I tend to look before I leap anymore nowadays!

FWIW: I slipped on a muddy hillside once and went over the hill, right through the ice. NOT FUN. I'm surprised the woman didn't go into shock when she went into the water. I know when I climbed out, I had to make myself start breathing again. Knew I was going into a mild shock. Luckily, I was only a few hundred yrds from my car which was still warmed up from the trip over to the park.

gray hair in my shammy

I think I was on that ride. I remember a girl on a big group winter ride a few years ago taking a dip on that stream crossing on the College loop, and I think I know who the woman is.................."Get out of the way p*&&#^s".........too funny

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bashturd
    I think I was on that ride. I remember a girl on a big group winter ride a few years ago taking a dip on that stream crossing on the College loop, and I think I know who the woman is.................."Get out of the way p*&&#^s".........too funny
    Hi John,

I am pretty sure you were there - - Trevor enticed us to come down from DE to see the place. Nice girl too, but her comment before her swim is what made the moment classic.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

gray hair in my shammy
    Hi John,

I am pretty sure you were there - - Trevor enticed us to come down from DE to see the place. Nice girl too, but her comment before her swim is what made the moment classic.
    Yep, that was the ride. I didn't see the fall, but I heard the scream. As a matter of fact, everyone heard that scream, but I'm sure she was just joking when she said that.

two wheel whore
    It's like the douchebags that do wheelies and go 130mph on the highways. Gives the sportbikers a bad name. Same with mountain biking...my only somewhat bad experience on the trail was some dude in spandex being agitated about me and my buddies coming upon a fork; he was waiting for us to come through so he could head in the direction we just came from.

Oh, and some douche at Fountainhead was making fun of guys on hardtails (me and my buddies).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We stopped and looked at our walking options. A girl riding in our group (that we did not know at all) was like "Get out of the way p*&&#^s". .
    so, you guys were off the bike walking, and a girl came through who was trying to ride the section....she doesn't make it, and you are making fun? hmmmm...

She probably didn't know you had to stop due to freezing brakes, and may have thought you guys were legitimate p*&&#s

Plus, if you and your buddy had already given up, you ought to have yielded trail to someone riding anyhow

can't we all just get along?

I heard you swear...
    wow, this thread is hillarious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Translation: I'm a fat f<i></i>uck.
    hahahaha. not quite. not even remotely close actually. Translation: I actually have muscle mass on other parts of my body than my quads, unlike you, stickboy. Big doesn't mean fat. It just so happens that most mountain bikers in patapsco are either twigs or fat dudes on full susp. bikes that ride once every month. I am neither.

And I do bring a spare tube, problem is when you blow out both tires simultaneously, one spare tube wont help you much.

Isn't internet bickering fun?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Oh, and some douche at Fountainhead was making fun of guys on hardtails (me and my buddies).

You're kidding, right? People actually ride something other than a HT there???? What was he on? A downhill bike??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hahahaha. not quite. not even remotely close actually. Translation: I actually have muscle mass on other parts of my body than my quads, unlike you, stickboy. Big doesn't mean fat. It just so happens that most mountain bikers in patapsco are either twigs or fat dudes on full susp. bikes that ride once every month. I am neither.

And I do bring a spare tube, problem is when you blow out both tires simultaneously, one spare tube wont help you much.

Isn't internet bickering fun?
    Hey, I thought it was funny. I actually rode Patapsco yesterday for the first time in months. I forget what a fun trail system that is. FWIW, I think Patapsco has a higher proportion of tools (XC/DH/hikers/trail runners included) than almost any park I've ridden in. I think it has something to do w/ the overuse/crowding/lack of other trail in that area. I mostly ride in Gambrill in Frederick and I seldom run into unpleasant people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm always nice to people on the trails and ask if they need help. Though if you block up my lines and cost me momentum coming up hills (I ride ss) I will usually tell you to sell your bike to someone who knows how to ride it (especially if you have gears). Same if you almost kill me by taking up the whole trail coming up fast downhill sections. But I ride in loch raven mostly so I never see anyone else haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    People actually ride something other than a HT there????
    Perhaps they want to go faster? I'm faster on my FS bike everywhere except (slightly) on the road.

gray hair in my shammy
    I mostly ride in Gambrill in Frederick and I seldom run into unpleasant people.
    That's because Gambrill is in the middle of Bum F#ck Stickboy!

mtbr member
    Only the strong shall survive!

you shoulda just talked **** back instead of whining about it here...... Like what do youe expect anyone to do for you? Are you 12...yeh what they did was rude but thats life....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You dumbass! You forgot the part about being able to follow the trail by the trail ice cold water dripping on it. Also, it was colder than 28degrees that day - closer to 15.

Great ride that day. Too bad my back acted up for 3 months afterwards.

The OP needs to consider that the people not offering tubes to him were running tubeless, and like him, close enough to the lot to walk if required.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Perhaps they want to go faster? I'm faster on my FS bike everywhere except (slightly) on the road.

Faster on a FS? If you say so. Most I know are not. Besides, that wasn't my point. Point is that there nothing out there that's an FS is really needed for. All smooth, fast singletract.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear, but i've had better experiences with riders across the street at Rockburn.. I had a flat and not only was I offered a pump, but a new tube.. But when people say stuff like that, just shrug it off.

I thought riding on a flat was bad for the rim? Even though when I have had my flats I've ridden nearly 2-3 miles back to my car. I'm not sure, i'm just a newb ...

Basement Dweller
    20 minutes to fix a flat?

C'mon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Faster on a FS? If you say so. Most I know are not. Besides, that wasn't my point. Point is that there nothing out there that's an FS is really needed for. All smooth, fast singletract.

Well, suspension isn't _needed_ for anything. Some people just enjoy riding it; even at places like FH. But I agree generally agree with your sentiment; the original point of someone getting crap for riding a HT at FH seems silly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    These threads where people vent about injustices suffered always generate some great material.

Sorry, I'm built like a linebacker, not a ****ing Kenyan
    That made me smile and captures what I've thought on the trail dozens of time.

R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    It's kind of like comparing figure skaters (MTBer's).... to hockey players (DHer's).....
    haha.... you have too many teeth to be a hockey play'a
    Attached Images Attached Images

gray hair in my shammy
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC

Was the girl on a superfly by any chance?
    I know this girl. She's friends with the "Get out of the way p*&&#^s". girl. Don't mess with them. If they come up behind you, get out of the way. If they're coming toward you, turn around and run. They're mean man,..... really mean........................

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    i'm 5'6 160 and can bench 210..does that make me Kenyan or linebacker?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krismac
    Neither.

A short guy with big muscles.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by krismac
    If you have predator hair, you might pass for a cornerback.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    lol asian college student with predator hair...sounds like an idea

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    1st time caller, long time listener.

can this thread sustain?

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by melukin
    1st time caller, long time listener.

can this thread sustain?
    I guess not, it has been 3 days since your post. I am waiting for donkey to chime in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    haha.... you have too many teeth to be a hockey play'a
    Fat bob you crack me up....I was very lucky I didn't break any on that crash...THERE DENTURES....I dont have anymore real ones to knock out anyways, so you could say Im ALL hockey player now...LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey

You should have told the chick to blooooooooooooooooooooooo you

Members who have read this thread: 0