Tough Guy Extraordinaire

Iron Hill Challenge

Anyone know how long the laps are for this upcoming race? Can't find anything about it other than lap counts.

Also if anyone knows the course, can you give me any info? Big climbs? Suprise steeps, etc...?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Without knowing for sure I'd guess you'll be looking at 7-8 miles for a lap, Iron Hill park is fairly small. I'm not an expert on the place but I have been there, I'd mostly call it "rolling". There are some moderate climbs but I don't know of anything too extreme.

I've heard a lot of good things about the race, hopefully those who have raced it before can jump in with more specific information. Also, probably worth running a search for previous years events since there is a good chance the route will be similar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Iron Hill Challenge

I am thinking of running single speed, anyone have some insight to gearing? I'm thinking 34/19 on my 29er.

mtbr member
    This is the MASS series race, right?

If so, there is a fairly decent video of the race from 2010 and the course looked very similar to 2012:

Iron Hill 2010 Mid Atlantic Super Series - YouTube

My experience from last year was that in the beginning of the lap you want to get ahead because it gets fairly tight before the faster sections start and it can be muddy/slippery. There is a muddy slippery hill -- Iron Hill probably -- that a lot of people don't make it up so if you are following somebody definitely leave yourself a path to get around them if they fall because start/stopping sucks right?

Otherwise it was a fun course, more technical than Fairhill for sure.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Thanks for the info. Yes the MASS series is what I am asking about. I have seen a few of the videos, just trying to get a sense of the length of the laps.

Formula, I think 7 or 8 miles a lap seems a bit long. The Cat 2 race (sport) is three laps. At 7 or 8, this would be 21 or 24. This would be more in line with the distance for a Cat 1 race. I'm thinking the laps are around 5 miles each, just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.

Pizza, what is that climb like? Short and steep or is it a long grinder?

mtbr member
    Hmm I don't know. I did Cat 2 last year and it was 2 laps @ 7ish miles. It is 3 laps this year so no idea tbh but I feel like they target about 1 1/2 hours for Cat 2 races. not that I have any idea haha.

it's short and steep. Here is the strava for it: Bike Ride Profile | Iron Hill XC near Newark | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Did the MASS race last year,Cat 3. 1 lap was about 7 1/2 miles.It rained hard for 2 day's before so the course was wet and slippery. Alot of tight twisty single track and tough to pass. Good luck!
    you have to grow old but you don't have to grow up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJacks24 View Post
    I am thinking of running single speed, anyone have some insight to gearing? I'm thinking 34/19 on my 29er.
    I ran 32x19 last year and bagged 3rd in SS endurance. That ratio seemed right for the muddy conditions, but if it was dry I'd go for 32x18. I'd be back this year but am giving Middle Mountain Mamma a try instead.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid