mtbr member

Hunting season in the 'shed?

Just trying to find out when to avoid the shed due to firearms hunting season. Probably going to be up that way early next month, possibly Thanksgiving and/or Christmas time too. Is it an extended regular hunting season or a shorter controlled window like in the state parks? Thanks.

I am the owl
    Check the MD DNR web site for full details, as there are many seasons and variations and a lot of it varies by county.

In general:
    - Modern firearms (rifle/shotgun) deer season starts after thanksgiving and lasts 2 weeks. Then there is (I believe) a special session in January.
    - There is no hunting on Sundays.
    - Blackpowder (firearms) has a longer season than Modern firearms and has seen a lot more people starting to go out for this in recent years
    - Bow season is really long but there aren't nearly as many users.
    - Fall turkey season gets a fair number of hunters out as well.

Gambrill does not allow hunting, but still be careful as the border with the Shed gets breeched by the hunters sometimes since it's not well defined.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    WOW, one time last year there were an unbelievable amount of bow hunters out...we got caught right in the middle of a bunch of them, totally missed that it was there day and were half way out in the shed when...yikes on the left...yikes on the right...oh my god were surrounded...one guy told us we look pretty noticable expect one of us he said they could mistake....hahahahaha..al kidding aside, very dangerous to be out there...thanks to Riderx valuable information, take heed everyone.

mtbr member
    I only ride there on Sundays during hunting season, as there is no hunting on sunday.

mtbr member
    Ok, took a look at the calendar, assuming deer hunting is far and away the biggest concern. For Frederick Co., looks as if bow season is already going and will be the only hunting until 10/21. Muzzle loader starts 10/22 through the end of October. Then modern firearms 11/28-12/12, muzzle loaders again 12/19-1/2, then firearms again on 1/8 and 1/9.

So for my purposes, if I'm not to worry about bows, I should be safe first week of October. And also safe around Thanksgiving. But Christmas and New Years probably bad. Of course who knows about weather anyway.

The Sunday thing is good to note, thanks. Does anyone know how Greenbrier figures into this? Are they no hunting at all like Gambrills or under the general calendar or something else? I couldn't quite figure that out from their website.

Cracker

Sure

Just make sure you wear one of these when you ride out there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It might get a little steep from here

I am the owl

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Does anyone know how Greenbrier figures into this?
    Greenbrier allows hunting.

Also, Fall turkey season is Oct 31 - Nov 7 and worth noting, quite a few people go out for that. If I read the chart right, it looks like Fall turkey season is not open in Frederick County but it is open in Washington Co. Greenbrier is located in Washington Co.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Greenbrier allows hunting.

Also, Fall turkey season is Oct 31 - Nov 7 and worth noting, quite a few people go out for that. If I read the chart right, it looks like Fall turkey season is not open in Frederick County but it is open in Washington Co. Greenbrier is located in Washington Co.
    Great, now I'm going to need TWO costumes. Thanks for the info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Why not wear blaze orange.... you can get a vest at walmart or a sporting goods store for cheap cheap...... Might even be good to have on sundays as not all us hunters follow the rules....

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by need4gforce
    Why not wear blaze orange....
    Hunters are a big user group in the Shed and they have a short season, so most of us avoid riding on the busiest Saturdays during hunting season so they can do their thing. It helps keep good relations. Not to mention, it's just safer.

If you are out during any part of hunting season, blaze orange is a good idea. Also, avoid wearing any type of white (resembles a deer tail as it runs away). I'll usually will strap a bear bell on my seat rails if I'm out during any part of hunting season that way they hear me before they see me.

Fortunately I've never seen anyone poaching on Sunday's out there, I think there is too much activity for anyone to thing they will get away with it.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Members who have read this thread: 0