Thread: Hunting season

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004

Hunting season

Fall is here almost.Time to share the woods again.Dont matter if you agree with hunting-they are there-and some of us bike as well!
    So,yes,im not prepared-but since im online-lets start a sticky if the mods are ok with it-of our states hunting seasons.
    Only a few areas are really affected by them-and only for a few weeks in the fall.
    So-WV-VA-Maryland and Delaware-someone who has a copy of the 2009 regs. for your state post them.I guess you cant hunt in DC?
    The less chances of conflict.or unsafe times will be great for all involved.
    Remember-outdoorsmen-I.E. hunters and fishermen pay taxes and vote as well-and are the biggest user group-and bring in the most dollars in lots of rural counties.
    So lets be safe!

BZ
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Blaze orange is your friend October-December in WV...lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz
    Remember-outdoorsmen-I.E. hunters and fishermen pay taxes and vote as well-and are the biggest user group-and bring in the most dollars in lots of rural counties.
    So lets be safe!

BZ
    Some of those hunters & fishermen also mountain bike As an avid hunter in PA, I normally leave my biking for Sundays, since your not allowed to hunt then, and I'm normally hunting on those Saturdays. Blaze orange is the key if you choose to ride in hunting areas during the season.
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some form of hunting is open in VA now. Last Saturday I saw (3) gun totting guys walking a forest road near Sherando Lake SP. They let a shot off shortly after they disappeared into the woods - thought it was a bit close to the road to be shooting, about 100 yards maybe. Definitely surprised me a bit.

Also, this past weekend I'm quite sure was the opening weekend for bear hunters to chase bears with their dogs. Don't know when the real "hunting" (shooting a bear in a tree) starts, need to find out though. The bear hunters saturated the Sherando Lake/Big Levels/Blue Ridge Parkway area I was riding in. If I had known this ahead of time, I would have most likely ridden elsewhere. I could have done without the above normal trail traffic and howling dogs. I probably encountered 15 different hunter's dog trucks during my 30 mile ride. One thing I did learn is that these hunters aren't very biker friendly. After not getting any acknowledgment of my presence when waving or saying hi, I just stopped doing so, and just rode on by. Don't expect them to give you much, if any, room on the forest roads as well. One guy felt he had no obligation to move over, or at least slow down when we were approaching eachother on a tight rocky section of forest road. After that, I just stopped and got off to the side of the road. At the least 4x4/Jeep guys give you some space and are usually quite friendly.

All in all though, I survived!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    for Va, no Sunday hunting...

bow season opens first Sat in Oct

muzzleloader season, Oct 31 to Nov 13

deer rifle season- west of 29 Nov 14-28

east of 29..Nov 14- Jan 2

there is a youth day on Sept 26- statewide...your weapon of choice

bear season- varies per county...but mostly Nov 21 to Jan 2

waterfowl can run to the end of Feb

the current bear chase season is in until Sept 26 and INCLUDES Sundays

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...tions/#seasons

hope this helps some of you guys....

B.

she keep you buying rats
    WV hunting season dates: http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/Regs0910/Season_dates.pdf

Deer archery starts Sept 14th... for the rest of the year there's pretty much something in season all the time.

No hunting on Sundays.

Get lights and ride at night! ...it's the perfect way to cruise through hunting season ( I did 5 night rides last week myself)

she keep you buying rats
    Nice jersey for hunting season:

From this URL: http://www.primalwear.com/p-442-hunt...ng-jersey.aspx

Bicycle rider
    Maryland hunting season calender for 2009 - 2010.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersgu...s_Calendar.pdf
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Thank you everyone for posting links for the seasons!
    and dang weakmite-you found a jersey i would wear!Im usually a losefit guy-but that rocks!

Bz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

Members who have read this thread: 0