mtbr member
    Apr 2011

highend rental in MD or DC

I am headed to see some family in MD and DC in Septemeber. I am a Colorado rider who wants to see some East Coast trails. Can anyone rent me a FS carbon bike? I've made some calls to shops (really just shooting in the dark) but people seem to think I'm nuts. any help would be great!

Also trail suggestions would be great along with a tour guide. anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    wow, a week has gone by and over 100 views and no one can help? are you 100 viewers real bikers? do you contribute to your biking community? or are you just the closed minded, narrow viewed mid atlantic residents I remember from my past?

don't worry, I will bike and I'll be fine and if you ever need help with biking in CO just drop me a line...I'll help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd braun View Post
    wow, a week has gone by and over 100 views and no one can help? are you 100 viewers real bikers? do you contribute to your biking community? or are you just the closed minded, narrow viewed mid atlantic residents I remember from my past?
    I'm general, we don't ride bikes. We post rude comments on Internet forums when we do not get a response to a question.

NoVa, MD, DC is not the biking destination that Colorado is. There is not the demand to support investment in high end rental bikes.

We do have these for rent.
    These bikes are easy, fun and safe to use and ride. They are step-thru frames, have 3 speeds, front and rear flashing LED lights and a handy front rack. Plus the internal hub gears, chain guard and fenders keep you riding clean, confidently and in style.

Or you could look at this thread that is currently 4 threads older than yours - from last week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I know Racepace bicycles does some rentals and so does C'ville bikes/The Hub. I would give both of them a call and see what they got. They both are close to Patapsco state park which has a lot of really great trails. When your out if you need someone to show you some trails I can help you out just shoot me a message.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    I'm general, we don't ride bikes. We post rude comments on Internet forums when we do not get a response to a question.

NoVa, MD, DC is not the biking destination that Colorado is. There is not the demand to support investment in high end rental bikes.

We do have these for rent.
    These bikes are easy, fun and safe to use and ride. They are step-thru frames, have 3 speeds, front and rear flashing LED lights and a handy front rack. Plus the internal hub gears, chain guard and fenders keep you riding clean, confidently and in style.

Or you could look at this thread that is currently 4 threads older than yours - from last week.
    typical

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bballboy388 View Post
    I know Racepace bicycles does some rentals and so does C'ville bikes/The Hub. I would give both of them a call and see what they got. They both are close to Patapsco state park which has a lot of really great trails. When your out if you need someone to show you some trails I can help you out just shoot me a message.
    thanks. I will call them...and msg you in sept!

mtbr member
    Whats the saying about bees and honey and vinegar?

In MD I've ridden Patapsco Avalon, Gambrill State Park, and Schaeffer Farms. All are good trails. For Patapsco, print a trail map, take a photo of the posted map with your phone, or go with someone that knows the area. Good trail, tough climbs, most of it doesn't seem to dry up well. Gambrill is a really rocky technical slower ride and pretty different from the other trails. Schaeffer Farms is well mapped - there are maps posted at almost every junction so its easy to explore and not terribly difficult.

If you venture down to VA, definitely check out Fountainhead. Its my favorite trail and I'm lucky enough to live 20min from it. If there's been any rain in the last week, check out their Facebook page to make sure they're open before you make the trip.

Check out the website for the MOCO Epic (MoCo Epic 2013). They have route maps for the event already posted, so you can get a good ride in if you follow those.

Feel free to shoot me a PM ahead of time. I'm down to show you around if you tell me a little about the CO trails.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Smanz,

thanks for the thoughtful response. my bro lives in Gaithersburg so VA is a def. possibility. I'd be happy to tell you anything about Moab, Fruita, all the way to Aspen. my pleasure...I tried the honey approach 1st....

I will contact you closer to my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
    Whats the saying about bees and honey and vinegar?

In MD I've ridden Patapsco Avalon, Gambrill State Park, and Schaeffer Farms. All are good trails. For Patapsco, print a trail map, take a photo of the posted map with your phone, or go with someone that knows the area. Good trail, tough climbs, most of it doesn't seem to dry up well. Gambrill is a really rocky technical slower ride and pretty different from the other trails. Schaeffer Farms is well mapped - there are maps posted at almost every junction so its easy to explore and not terribly difficult.

If you venture down to VA, definitely check out Fountainhead. Its my favorite trail and I'm lucky enough to live 20min from it. If there's been any rain in the last week, check out their Facebook page to make sure they're open before you make the trip.

Check out the website for the MOCO Epic (MoCo Epic 2013). They have route maps for the event already posted, so you can get a good ride in if you follow those.

Feel free to shoot me a PM ahead of time. I'm down to show you around if you tell me a little about the CO trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have no idea where you would rent a fancy bike; the shops near me in DC don't seem to even rent out bikes. But if you manage to snag one I'd highly recommend you go out to Elizabeth Furnace near Front Royal (1.5 hrs from DC in VA). Of all the trails around here it's the only area where you will truly have an epic day out. You sound like the kind of rider looking for something a little challenging. Technical rocky Climbs that'll take 30-60 minutes and brilliantly technical downhills that'll have you grinning from ear to ear if you don't crash and destroy your carbon frame. Best to ride metal only out there just in case. Those trails might at least give your CO rides a little run for their money, something Patapsco and fountainhead might not. I could send you my starva maps if you are interested - this has been my new way of finding rides too. Good luck with the bike search. As a last resort I suppose you could have your bike shipped out: might actually be cheaper than renting if you are going to ride a lot. I may be up for riding out at EF if I'm not doing something really stupid like a triathlon.
    Philip

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: highend rental in MD or DC

If your brother is in g'burg, why not call Germantown Cycles and see if they have any demo bikes you could take from there to Schaeffer Farm about 5 minutes away.?? Maybe?

mtbr member
    wow, a week has gone by and over 100 views and no one can help? are you 100 viewers real bikers?

This is probably going to come as a shock, but just about every "real" biker I know owns their own bike, and isn't necessarily knowledgeable about where to rent.

But by all means, keep insulting, that's a sure way to get the east coast jerks to help you out. I know I'm an exception, being disinclined to offer a free tour service to someone who throws out blanket insults because we weren't fast enough to help him.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    If your brother is in g'burg, why not call Germantown Cycles and see if they have any demo bikes you could take from there to Schaeffer Farm about 5 minutes away.?? Maybe?
    This.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Still mad about the Ravens Super Bowl? If you come to the area you could rent my Colorado Moots..JK. This link may be helpful to you, maybe not..Bicycle Rental in Maryland
    "If 650b is the future and 26"ers are the past then sitting on my B6'er I am in the middle of the here and now"

mtbr member
    Germantown Cycles is the best bet. I think they even have a carbon Tallboy for demo. That being said, most of the riding you find around here, with the exception of the above-mentioned Elizabeth Furnace, Gambrill and the Frederick Watershed, will be quite inferior to what you are used to in CO. My wife and I ride in CO every summer (GJ, Durango, CB) and almost cry every time we have to leave. We always take our own bikes out, as it ends up being a lot cheaper. If you are going to be here several days and expect to ride more than once, it will be cheaper for you, depending on the policies of the individual airlines. Frontier has best bike policy I've seen.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

two wheel whore
    Bikelane in Springfield has a Niner fleet that can be taken out for 50/day. You may have to call ahead - sometimes they are already spoken for.

The first 100 views are probably nubs that are looking for other people to ride with, and I don't think I know anyone that knows 'rental places'. While being outdoors is big around here, the mountain biking community is not. Message any one of us in this thread, I'm sure we will help you the best we can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

don't worry, I will bike and I'll be fine and if you ever need help with biking in CO just drop me a line...I'll help.
    Since you're a real biker, bring yours.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large