Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Here comes Sandy!

Hope all you folks on the coast or near the water are safe and dry! Actually that applies to everyone no matter where they are...

I also hope the trails aren't too badly pummeled, but that's secondary

swag ho Administrator
    Yeah, how's everyone doing? Let's hear some live reports.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Passed through Southeastern VA earlier today. Not a direct hit luckily. Mainly just high winds and lots of rain. We've been lucky down here. I'm hoping that those to our North don't get hit much harder..

Nice to see some Left Coast folks concerned. When I lived in CA, I would rarely even know the names of these storms.

mtbr member
    Wind is picking up in Rockville, going to a long night I bet. Luckily the beer chest is full...

I am the owl
    Wind is really picking up here in Frederick, MD and the rain has been heavy all day. Just biked how from work and it really wasn't too bad - of course that's probably because is was a short ride...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

What up, yo?
    Some big gusts and LOTS of rain in northern Delaware but so far so good. My Internet connection/wifi is still working so it can't be that bad, right?

The need for singlespeed
    I usually lose power at the drop of a hat but I'm still online here in Silver Spring. Either this thing was totally overblown by the media or Pepco finally pulled their thumb out of their butt.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I'm working in Rockville until 7am...winds have picked up a bit. Lot of downed power lines and such, but not a lot of trees down just yet.
    Surprisingly, Pepco had the power on at my house only 3 hours after it went out. Hope it stays on.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Zaska...I think the Derecho knocked all the weak trees down, and the pruning of a lot of the trees on the wires helped a ton too.

The need for singlespeed
    Yep, and the trees have a lot fewer leaves now too--less wind drag. I'm optimistic.

One Gear
    Thankfully the power is still on. After a half day yesterday stuck inside, I'm ready to get out. I might take a ride down to the Patapsco River and see what it looks like later today.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Honestly curious Texan: Is it really as bad as the news is making it out to be? We are used to preparing for Cat 3s and 4s down here. I know people have died but is that because you guys aren't normally prepared for hurricanes?

mtbr member
    For us here in the DC area, I think it was a little lighter than advertised. There are some isolated areas with flooding, power outtages all over the place, but overall it was less awful than I expected. We luckily didn't lose power.

however, I'm pretty certain the coastal areas of NY, NJ, MD, VA, and NC got a severe pounding, so hopefully they'll be able to get back to normal ASAP

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I live in the massanutten mtns of VA and can tell you as of this morning we had 4 1/2" of rain and minimal wind.Coastal area's and NY were hit hard and I'm praying for quick recovery for those folks.

AND yes the media no doubt exaggerates as they claimed this morning that 1/3 of the nation was pummeled by Sandy.Well....located south of the eye..."minimal flooding,minimal wind and no reported down trees.

No disrespect for those less fortunate but media forecasters as of last night said are immediate area will see mass devastation from 70+mph winds and blizzard like conditions.UM...maybe 20mph gusts,no snow and never lost power either.

swag ho Administrator
    Just realized that many probably don't have power and cannot post.

More updates from the ones online please.

fc

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    No doubt, the weathermen / newscasters get a boner out of a storm like this. Here in Roanoke we got mostly wind, 50-60 mph predicted and at times it looked like it last night. Hopefully Dereckto cleaned out all the weak trees and we don't have multiples of new ones to clean off the trails.

West Virginia has been pounded with snow, but nothing here in the bannana belt of the Blue Ridge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The storm wasn't as bad as predicted here in , got allot of rain here in Maryland and 60 MPH gusts no trees down, my yard is muddy mess of leaves but other then that no issues.

Yes the storm was lighter then the forecasters predicted. I think it was a combination of the forecasters not knowing what this particular weather scenario would do, exaggerating to get everyone's attention to make sure they took pre storm precautions, and of course trying to get high TV ratings by hyping the storm.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I think a lot of the trees (weaker, older) went down with the "derecho" we had in July...which was no bueno. This wasn't terrible. I'm just outside Schaeffer Farm Trail (path behinud my house leads to the SRT) and we had a neighbor's tree fall onto our fence. No biggie. I work for the FD and we were not all that busy overnight and into this morning. There are a LOT of leaves, sticks and debris on the ground and a few trees....but as I said above, I think the July storm, the Pepco pruning of mature trees, time of year (less leaves/drag) and the general preparedness of people in the area REALLY helped. I think a lot of people prepared, and then hunkered down and rode it out. Our power was only out for ~3 hours...not bad. Can't wait to get out with the new chainsaw and help clear off some trails,
    My parents have a house down in Calvert County on the Bay and that took a pounding. High water level mainly. But they made it through ok, which is nice.
    In general there was a decent amount of wind damage, several trees, power lines down, etc...but in this immediate area, not a lot of damage at all. Maybe it was an overhyped boner show for the weathermen, but it was still nice to be prepared.
    Highlight of the coverage was the hot chick from the Weather Channel almost getting blown over by a gust of wind and saying "Sorry! I'm getting pounded from behind!" Tons of lols.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How are the roads in TN/WV? I'm heading to baton rouge right now to pick up a trailer to haul to MD. Relief type thing. There's talk of snow?? Just trying to avoid backtracking to Atlanta.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mainly, how is 81? Ok to cut through or should we go north then east and bypass those mtns?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    81 should be fine. As long as you stay away from interior part of West Virginia and the Northeast corridor (NJ/NY) you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When we hit baton rouge this morning we found out us and 2 other trucks are hauling housing trailers to NJ. My destination is lakewood NJ. How are the roads in that area? Were staying topped out on fuel and have about 20gallons worth in the back of the truck just in case. Is fuel hard to find right now?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    We are used to preparing for Cat 3s and 4s down here. I know people have died but is that because you guys aren't normally prepared for hurricanes?
    Maybe not as much in NJ and NY.

VA, MD, DE - we are quite used to hurricanes.

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Mainly, how is 81? Ok to cut through or should we go north then east and bypass those mtns?
    Drove from PIT ---> DC Wednesday and the roads were fine. Did see the 1st snow of the year @ Donegal, and at elevation on 68 (WV).
    My best to those in coastal NY & NJ.

... tapas
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Went out to Schaeffer Farm the other day. Lot of debris on the trails and there are 3-4 mature trees down on the yellow and white loop. Definitely going to need some TLC, but other than that, it's in great shape!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast